Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [KrampusHack2016] SantaToTheRescue

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[KrampusHack2016] SantaToTheRescue
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Let me bring you my Kramp's entry: SantaToTheRescue.

My assignee is Edgar Reynaldo, and that was what I got about the gift:
"So, I'm in, and I'll be using Allegro 5. I prefer Windows XP or later, so Allegro 5 is fine for that. I may use Eagle, I may not, but if I do I will provide binaries so my proggie can be built from source. "
"I like dungeons. Bonus if there are dragons."
Edgar's signature says: "Bear in mind you do not have permission from King Piccolo to depart. In the in the event you do leave with out a signed waver from the King , you will be severely punished to the extent no amount of phoenix-downs would rebirth you."

So I made him a dungeon, where he'll have to rescue all the entrant.
There are things to collect to be able to finish the game.

I'm currently packing the thing, I'll edit to put it online before going to bed.

The controls:
-keys to move, key UP or SPACE to jump
-mouse cursor & left click to put a magic wall if you have any, righ click to get it back. Hint: don't leave blocks you don't need anymore. You'll need them later, maybe.
-LEFT or RIGHT CTRL: launch a Santa Attack. Unlimited ammo but limited range.

{"name":"610706","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a1a3891ec068ad784e686564bdd2ed8.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a1a3891ec068ad784e686564bdd2ed8"}610706

Video of the gameplay:

video

-Monsters are quicker an quicker as soon as you hurt them
-Some can jump, some not. It's up to you to discover then
-You can delete magic blocks you didn't even put yourself
-You have to collect each entrant avatar or else the exit will not activate
-Magic blocks can help you to hide from an enemy

To build from sources: use Makefile and gcc for linux , MakefileW32 and mingw for windows. Allegro5 needed. I provided the dll's for w32 thought.

LINK TO 7Z ARCHIVE (DebianX64 testing bin + Win32 bin + sources + makefiles)

EDIT: Re-uploaded entry to fix a glitch in the number of teammate to rescue. A glitch in level loading force me to put a space after a rescue icon number, else it is not taken in account. Thanks Eric for pointing me the bug :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I haven't been able to win yet, but it's fun so far. :) The particle effects are nice.

Edit
The game says I still have 3 to rescue, but I can't seem to find any more avatars. Any tips? ??? Also, not sure if it's a feature or a bug, but if I time it correctly, I can bounce when hitting the ground.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Thanks for trying !

The harder to rescue are in the upper parts. You'll have to use or erase some magic blocks to be able to get the last avatars.

EDIT: you were right, some icons weren't displayed. it's fixed in the 7z !

The bouncing part was left there intentionnaly, because it was some fun during the event to test giga high levels and see everything bouncing. So let's consider it a wanted glitch ;-)

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

The fixed version worked, and I was able to rescue everyone! :D I didn't even use a single magic wall (thanks, super bounce). 8-)

Overall, the game is fairly enjoyable. It would be even more so with some sounds (even basic ones would do). ;) Well done!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Thanks for the feedback Eric. I would never have though of using bouncing only to finish the game ^^

I didn't achieved all I had planned, hence there is no sound, a very basic interface and no menu/credits/...

On my draft there was more than one level and I had planned to dispatch all 12 entrants on 3 levels. I wanted an horizontal one, a vertical one, and a huge last one. I only did one huge level with everything inside it ^^

If you want to edit the level's data, it's in DATA/Levels/level1.txt and works as following

#SelectExpand
1line 1: sizeXmax sizeYmax BGred BGgreen BGblue tileW tileH nb_to_rescue 2200 100 100 100 100 32 32 12 3 4Line 2 to 9 are obligatory ones: 5DATA/Gfxs/troll.png 6DATA/Gfxs/troll2.png 7DATA/Gfxs/troll3.png 8DATA/Tiles/wall1.bmp 9DATA/Tiles/wall2.bmp 10DATA/Tiles/wall3.bmp 11DATA/Tiles/wall3_bonus.bmp 12DATA/Tiles/exit.bmp 13 14Line 10 to 10+nb_to_rescue: list of all "to rescue" icons one by line 15DATA/Gfxs/940_Amarillion_avatar_64x64.png 16DATA/Gfxs/8592_EdgarReynaldo_avatar_64x64.png 17DATA/Gfxs/7827_SiegeLord_avatar_64x64.png 18DATA/Gfxs/6152_Onewing_avatar_64x64.png 19DATA/Gfxs/358_Elias_avatar_64x64.png 20DATA/Gfxs/3110_MiguelFire_avatar_64x64.png 21DATA/Gfxs/1666_Derezo_avatar_64x64.png 22DATA/Gfxs/14841_EricJohnson_avatar_64x64.png 23DATA/Gfxs/1146_MarkOates_avatar_64x64.png 24DATA/Gfxs/8643_Vanneto_avatar_64x64.png 25DATA/Gfxs/5337_mc_avatar_64x64.png 26DATA/Gfxs/16609_TakaakiFuruKawa_avatar_64x64.png 27 28Lines coming after the rescue icons are the level definitions 29# level delimiter wall 30* wall inside the level 31[1-nb_to_rescue] rescue item from 1 to nb_to_rescue. Must have space around it 32M normal monster 33S sergeant monster 34G general monster 35B bonus block 36N magic blocks that the player can destroy 37P The start place of the player 38@ exit 39 40Little level example: 41200 100 100 100 100 32 32 3 42DATA/Gfxs/troll.png 43DATA/Gfxs/troll2.png 44DATA/Gfxs/troll3.png 45DATA/Tiles/wall1.bmp 46DATA/Tiles/wall2.bmp 47DATA/Tiles/wall3.bmp 48DATA/Tiles/wall3_bonus.bmp 49DATA/Tiles/exit.bmp 50DATA/Gfxs/940_Amarillion_avatar_64x64.png 51DATA/Gfxs/8592_EdgarReynaldo_avatar_64x64.png 52DATA/Gfxs/7827_SiegeLord_avatar_64x64.png 53################################################### 54# # 55# M M # 56# *** *** # 57# B ** M # 58# BBB M M * ********** # 59# BB*B *** *** * * # 60# B**B *** * * # 61# P ***B 1 S *** 2 S S * 3 * @ G G # 62###################################################

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neat! I made a really tall level and bounced around. :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Aww, I'm sorry to read that. Let's hope you'll like my entry and that it'll makes you feel better :-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Hey Gull, I tried to compile but there were a few too many complexities to sort out.

• There were some Linux flags and depreciated headers ( fatal error: 'malloc.h' file not found )

• removed the *.o files

• used -framework OpenGL over -lGL

• fatal error: 'linux/limits.h' file not found so I tried removing the -DLINUX flag but then it defaults to WIN which does not work on my Mac.

I'll give it a go on my Windows machine when I get back home tonight.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Hi Mark.

flags- What are the linux flags that you do not have on a mac ?

object files- My bad. I didn't even cleaned the object files before zipping. I have to say I was in a hurry because of my late entrance in the compo.

makefile- The Makefile currently only support Linux (testing && old targets) and MinGW32.
I'm sorry for the malloc header, I know it's no deprecated, but I still need it in the includes because of some old linux & aix targets @work. Since it does nothing except eventually warn (I do not have a mac :-p), I left it alone.
The -framework was what was bugging me in your entry ^^ I now know it's opengl for mac (is it ?)

If you can provide me a log of all warnings ect, I would graciously fix them all.

Under Linux there isn't any warning, nor mingw32. VisualC++ isn't expected to work at all.

Cheers 8-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

The -framework was what was bugging me in your entry ^^

:D

One of my big dreams is to have a simplified Allegro build tool that compiles the project on all systems.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

That's called a good Makefile ^^

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

One night Santa was drinking hard liquor when he got a call from his friends asking him to pick them up from a party with the koopas. In his drunken stupor he misinterpreted it as a cry for help, got his trusty shotgun and scrambled for the koopa house. In his drunken rage he blew every koopa away with the pixie boomstick. Only too late did he realize his mistake, and when he did he placed himself in a cage to pay for his crimes:

{"name":"610743","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/688440177256096ace937c55b124cd30.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/688440177256096ace937c55b124cd30"}610743

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Oh, I like this one a lot. Very nice particle effects and nice concept with the modifiable level. This entry also did a good job of incorporating the avatars - I had a really hard time finding Mark Oates!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

WoW, Siegelord made it into a novel ! Thanks for the play :-)

Elias: I wanted the player to crawl the level. I planned too much things, a luck I finally dropped things to at least finish something. I spent the last hours to polish the level. I've never done that much level editing before.
Thanks for the comments by the way.

Edited

Go to: