Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Another question about directory structure and naming :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Another question about directory structure and naming :)
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

(As a follow-up to this thread about src vs. source, I found this resource from gnu.org that describes the folder structure for libstdc++.)

But now I have a different question :)

So in my game folders, I need another good name for the construction files I use when building assets. So for example, I've begun to use Aesprite for drawing pixel art in my games. Aesprite files have a .ase extension but I don't use those files directly in the game.

I'd like to include files like this in the project repo, but I'm not sure what folder to put them in. I don't want to put them the data/ folder because that's for resource files required by the game itself.

Any thoughts? Where do you guys keep your non-program-dependent project files? :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Here's how I do it:

Source files go inside src/, headers/includes go in inc/, and all assets go inside data/ (that includes all bitmaps, sounds, etc used in-game, as well as program files used to create them--such as GIMP files or Audacity project files).

I don't think it matters where you put them. Probably no one other than yourself will care too much. ;)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I feel it important to not have the program files used to create the assets along with the program data is so that I can easily create the distributable by only needing to copy the bin/ folder - which only includes the executable(s) and program's files in the data/ folder.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Make an extras/ directory then. :P

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I have two data directories: The data/ inside bin/, containing the final data, and data/ in root, containing data sources. Anyway, I think I'll name the data sources directory as datasrc/.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

For this, my projects usually have origdata/ and data/ folders.

Go to: