Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Windows 10 laptop is super slow (CPU failure?)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Windows 10 laptop is super slow (CPU failure?)
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Hi there. I have a laptop running Windows 10 that has become increasingly slower and slower over the past week. I used CCleaner to remove junk files and clean up my registry, as I thought the slowness may be attributed to an over-accumulation of cached files or bad registry (it has worked in the past), but no dice.

There are no major processes taking up a lot of CPU or memory usage, and when I ran a SMART test on my drive, it came back clean. I did notice, however, that the CPU speed listed in task manager was a maximum of 2.59 GHz, but was currently running at only 0.18 GHz. I've never seen it so low before.

It takes forever to even log into the desktop or do anything now. It's too slow to use for anything meaningful.

Any ideas what could be causing the general slowness of the machine? Is it unusual for the CPU to run so slow? Could that be a sign of hardware failure? Any/all ideas welcomed.

Thank you in advance. :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Ah, good idea; I hadn't thought to check for overheating. Although, it hasn't been powering itself down, it has crashed several times. I'll listen for the fans tomorrow when I get to it again (left it at work). Thanks, Edgar.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I meant 'throttle down', not power down, sorry. It's my only guess. Something's wrong of course, but with XP I'm used to prolonged 100%CPU from svchost and windows update, so I can't really help you with low cpu frequency.

Google any help?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

My wife's lenovo has started to get slow. I've suspected some crazy updates may have made it dog slow, OR the hdd is silently failing. I got her a new SSD and ram for it, and when I tried to dd the data the first run failed, and that would certainly cause issues with windows. I used ddrescue the next time and it didn't find any errors, but the first run may have gotten the hdd to reallocate the bad sector possibly.

That said, I just saw your 0.18Ghz remark, and WOW, the only way i know of an intel getting that low is if its thermal throttling. Clean that sucker out.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I don't think it was a recent update that is the issue. I rolled back a few updates and even reverted to a restore point from earlier in the month to be sure, but neither had any affect. The drive is fine (according to a SMART test I ran on it).

The CPU is an Intel i7 somethingoranother. I'll take a closer look later and maybe even disassemble it for an even closer inspection. In the event that the CPU is going bad (not due to the fan making it overheat, etc), is it possible to remove and replace a laptop CPU? I've never had to replaced laptop parts before.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Some laptops have replacable cpus, some don't. Once you get it open, clean everything, and replace the thermal compound on the cpu and gpu, and anything under the heatsink(s).

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Might be an idea to boot it with a Linux live CD to see make sure it's not because of driver issues or something.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Ugh windows 10.... i had a decent PC before upgrading.... all it seems to want to do now is thrash the HDD non stop. Seems SSDs are required at minimum for Win 10 ::)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Hard drive failure. Have that on a laptop recently until the hdd finally died on me.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Hard drive wont cause the cpu to run super slow

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

No, it will cause the whole computer to go slower.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The problem seems to be the cpu running at a really low frequency. 180mhz.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: