Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Color Precision

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Color Precision
Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

This is an oddly specific problem I have but I'm sure its effects can be observed by anyone.

I am working on a palette for my game and the relation between individual colors is important as the color count is limited.

Colors vary in appearance depending on where they are on the screen/what angle I look at the screen from... Is there a common practice to ensure accuracy when working with colors?

I'm not totally nitpicking, I don't expect 100% precision, it's just important that some colors look lighter or darker than another color, but depending on the relative placement of them on the screen one color could look lighter, then look darker, just because I panned the image :/

About all I can do is actually check the RGB/HSV values to find out if a color is supposed to be relatively light or dark.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

It's an HD TV :/

Along with any hardware complications there is always a matter of perception. Sometimes I get effects like in popular optical illusions. I was wondering if maybe I'd get more accurate results by placing the colors on a light/dark background, zooming in/zooming out or any other tricks like that.

[Website] [Youtube]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Consider the following image:

{"name":"test.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5b7230e0d652ce40b22dd6bb9463f7bc.png","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5b7230e0d652ce40b22dd6bb9463f7bc"}test.png

Do the colors not look significantly different when you view your monitor at an angle? Perhaps having the colors in a checkerboard pattern exaggerates the effect?

[Website] [Youtube]

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm using a laptop. When I tilt the screen back, the image becomes darker, and when it's titled forward, it becomes lighter. But that's normal for most screens.

[Edit]
If you're that concerned about it, just use colors with good contrast. Your checkerboard example becomes difficult to see at certain angles due to the similar colors in each square. It wouldn't be as bad if it were black on white, for example.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Turn off any and all "advanced" processing on that TV, it might help. Often its called "game mode" or "pc mode". Might also have a special game or pc input that automatically turns off all the fancy processing and filtering.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

If you're going to be distributing this to other people, all you can do is what Eric Johnson said and try to use colours with as much contrast as possible. There is so much variation in different monitors that you'll never find one set of colours that works perfectly on all of them. Best to just find one that works well enough on all.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Monitors are much better nowadays though than they were - at least they all try and adhere to sRGB (i.e. they are all set to gamma 2.2). I still remember the time when monitors had completely different gamma values and games themselves had to provide a gamma slider to adjust.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Elias said:

Monitors are much better nowadays though than they were - at least they all try and adhere to sRGB (i.e. they are all set to gamma 2.2). I still remember the time when monitors had completely different gamma values and games themselves had to provide a gamma slider to adjust.

Definitely. I think that there are probably still far too many of us using older monitors to take that for granted though. Maybe in another 5 or so years...

Tyler Wrobel
Member #16,594
November 2016

Not all monitors produce the same colors, by default. Many monitors can be biased based on several different variations in the technology, or the manufacturing companies willingness to implement the technology. It sounds like you are explaining are library issues, that, or either you have a really crappy LCD backlit monitor, sounds like it could be the latter.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Many LCD monitors, even ones that supposedly have great color reproduction don't come pre-calibrated so the colors will be off. So you'd have to get a calibrator or get it calibrated...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: