Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Open source the forums?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Open source the forums?
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It would be nice to be able to submit pull-requests to add features to a.cc.

Specifically, I might add a "time_ago" on post time tags.

Thoughts?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Source probably looks like this:

{"name":"610654","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/0\/50b3cb4faa72e2530bc98b972db71f19.jpg","w":634,"h":422,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/0\/50b3cb4faa72e2530bc98b972db71f19"}610654

;D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Knowing how Matt talked about the code, it may not be that bad, at least to him.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think in his mind it wouldn't be useful to anyone because it's obvious and nothing special... Or at least, that's what he'd have us believe. ;D But really we know this software is special.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I don't think it would be a good idea. It would open the site up to vulnerabilities, that I doubt many people would feel compelled to step up and fix. Allegro development and the forums in general are both slowing down to a crawl. We need new life, and old members back.

I think we should put together a fund to advertise allegro.cc.

Now that Trump is President(elect) we can make Allegro great again!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Those vulnerabilities exist whether or not the source is free. If anybody cared to try to exploit A.cc they'd have done so years ago though (and maybe they tried and failed). These days there wouldn't even be much value left to it...

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

With enough activity, open sourcing software makes it less vulnerable.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It doesn't really require much activity at all. It mostly hinges on the size of the code base. More code means more eyes are needed. In general, not sharing the code doesn't prevent attacks, and most importantly, what is the cost of somebody hacking A.cc? Relatively little. Especially if ML has offline backups of the data.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Another feature that would be nice would be an API to the a.cc database.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't imagine that it would be feasible to implement a safe and expressive language to query it without risking security. Sure, it could expose data in various ways, but it would still be orders of magnitude slower than querying the database directly. It would probably be more useful if ML published a yearly database or something. My memory is foggy, but hasn't he done that before? (Obviously, such a database would need private user data securely stripped...)

Go to: