Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Helium beer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Helium beer
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

A friend posted a video about helium infused beer. Two guys drank beer and got funny voices. I thought it was a joke, which it was. But seems a lot of people thought it was real.
Seems also that none of the explanations was about the most obvious reason (for me, at least), namely you don't get helium in your lungs by drinking it. All explanations were about helium not being soluble in water.
I mean, don't people know simple things about lungs, respiration and voice? Helium not being soluble is completely on another level of knowledge.
Anyway, the video was funny.

video

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Although it is a joke, it is possible drinking the beer could affect your voice. Beer causes burps which can force the helium through the vocal cords. Of course, it would be a waste because helium is scarce.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Oh internet... what's not to believe about you ::)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Burping doesn't force the air through the vocal chords.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

1. That's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophageal_speech, produced without the use of vocal folds. I imagine that it would be affected by helium presence, but that's probably not what's happening in the video :P.

2. Yahoo search!?

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Sure burping helium will sound different than burping air (N2/O2 80/20). But it will probably not create a squirrel burp effect.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Says the squirrel ;D

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I ought to know...

Go to: