Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Feminism 101: Random Awesome Girl On The Internet

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Feminism 101: Random Awesome Girl On The Internet
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

They cut the video right before we could hear the audience reaction: "Show us your tits."

Everything she said is complete bullshit and it seems evident that she's not going to achieve anything for the people of Britain. I'll be very surprised if she does anything useful. That said, she didn't really seem to say anything about a gender pay gap either. She said women earn less. That's true. Of course, she implied that it was a problem. That's false. But I digress. She looks like a useless, malicious cunt, but it's government so I'm sure it was designed this way by the puppeteers. It's not like Britain ever had a real say.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

video

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Quote:

No, see this is the problem. See, you guys think you have some kind of monopoly over the concept of gender equality. Feminism doesn't own the concept of gender equality.

Quote:

Okay, nobody actually thinks that all feminists believe the same thing.

Dramaticly-angsty-dude seems to be dancing around actually making a meaningful argument. He thinks all feminists believe something, but won't say what yet. In fact, he even states the opposite up there. If people used the word "gayist" to mean you believed in equal rights for gays, then yes, even that dude would be one. Big whoop. That's how words work.

So, feminism is actually about caring about women's rights. Now, you could do some actual arguments instead of another dumb video with almost no content and stupid things like him putting a glass into his face to simulate tears but why not waste more time between almost not arguing with yourself?

Quote:

Any time we hear something about feminists, it's usually about... harassing men in the street

And any time I hear about Muslums, it's usually about terrorism. I'm not going to develop a group bias against them, because just like there are stupid as hell people who call themselves feminists, there are stupid as hell Muslims that believe murdering random people can be a good thing. It's a category of immense size, with people that don't all believe the same thing. You're not going to hear reasonable, rational arguments often in the news.

Quote:

Cat calling isn't harassment.

I'm sure it's meant as a compliment, but it's harassment. To paraphrase Louis CK, "I'm not an asshole" [censored: a type of hole] "Yes you are, that's not for you to decide. Other people get to decide that, asshole."

Quote:

So you can't legislate that

Well, she didn't say anything about legislation so now he's just arguing against an imagined "opponent" again or doing a really poor job of editing a video.

Quote:

So what you're asking for here is...

Again, that appears to be all him, freaking out about nothing for no reason.

woman said:

[There are] too many cases of sexual violence against women that go without justice. What she was wearing isn't contributory negligence. It's what the fuck she was wearing.

man said:

You know, honest, I'm trying to figure what you were trying to say here, but I can't, I can't figure it out.

Jesus, this guy isn't very bright. It's about rape and women feeling like they are on trial for what they wore. Now, you can make a very reasonable argument that consent is the concept on trial. This is going to happen when consent is not known and we are innocent until proven guilty. Shame is really something that raped women tend to feel when they should not, and this is largely a manifestation of it.

Quote:

That's why I'm an egalitarian and not a feminist because egalitarianism focuses on both of these things.

There's no law that says egalitarianism has a monopoly on caring about men's rights. He cares about women's rights, so he's a feminist. He cares about men's rights so he's a masculinist. He cares about both, so he an egalitarian. The only reason there's so much aversion to the term is social group bias in his head.

Quote:

you mean gender roles, that thing that feminists are apparently against

That wasn't her argument. In fact, she just was talking about how some feminist want things one way and others want things another, but why not respond by grouping them all together and then call the group hypocritical?

I can't stand to watch any more of this video. You guys are so much smarter than not to recognize these arguments are piss poor. You do make good points on gender equality and how it's ignored from the men's side and perhaps not represented by feminism at all (though it's nearly impossible to prove that kind of negative statement). That video BamBams posted a while back with the man on stage arguing for mens representation was spot on, because it was actually about doing something productive instead of railing against a mostly imagined enemy.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

We get it, you tuck your penis in when you go out. ::) I happen to recognize this OP and he's a relatively smart guy and obviously a skilled vlogger (judging by his opening I imagine he's also some kind of film professional). The things you're picking apart are so trivial and lame that you have no argument at all.

Protip: The whole fucking point of the video is that feminism does not mean "equality". Feminism is a women's movement for women's issues. Both men and women have issues in society and Feminism only cares about women's issues so by definition it's not an equality movement, even if that's what the dictionary says and that's what they hide behind. If their panties don't get bunched up when men are treated poorly compared to women then they aren't an equality movement.

Therefore, believing in equality (or equivalence, as I like to call it) does not make you a Feminist. As you yourself admitted, not all Feminists agree on the same thing. In other words, it's useless to label anybody a Feminist because it doesn't actually have a useful meaning these days. The only thing the title does is harmful. The idea that women are human beings worthy of rights and respect is not dependent on "Feminism". If you take a skeptic analysis of history you'll also find it's not so revolutionary. Women were not "slaves" and if you actually compare how women were treated compared to racial minorities in history you'll discover a stark difference between actual oppression and merely being put into a role that generically fit.

Protip: Women also oppressed racial minorities and they had no trouble doing so! They wouldn't have had the power to do so if they were so oppressed or the desire to do so if they were so enlightened.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I find it more entertaining that you are arguing his points. I posted it for laughs as I don't take him serious based solely on the fact that majority of his stuff is satire or music videos.

I'm sure it's meant as a compliment, but it's harassment.

Last I knew there was no rock solid ruling on catcalling being harassment due to the fact that the legal definition is more a catchall definition.

Googling legal definition of harassment gave this definition:

Quote:

Harassment is governed by state laws, which vary by state, but is generally defined as a course of conduct which annoys, threatens, intimidates, alarms, or puts a person in fear of their safety.

According to that definition, if you are wearing a Hawaiian shirt and I simply say, "That is an ugly shirt." If it annoyed you, my presence intimidated you, or somehow alarms you then I'm harassing you. That definition makes even giving compliments to someone harassment depending on how they take it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'll remind you that harassment is against the law. If you are being harassed you can call the police and they will deal with it. Now I don't encourage women to call the police every time they don't appreciate a compliment from a man because unfortunately the police will probably show up and harass him unlawfully and they are mostly above the law so there's little that can be done about that, ... aside from revolt. But if women honestly believe they're being harassed they can literally call the police and have it taken care of. The reality is that they don't honestly feel threatened. In fact, women as a group of people don't agree. Some take offense to cat calling. Others love it. So it's not black and white. Literally, men don't know and can't know whether a woman will love it or hate it. That's just our nature. Men just have to go for it. Should they be imprisoned or added to a sexual offender list for it? No. It's human nature. If men had the power that women have then then nagging and bitching and moaning would be considered politically incorrect and women would finally shut the fuck up. The fact is, women have the power to complain about non-issues precisely because they're women. It's literally sexism that gives them the power to be sexist in making accusations of sexism! It's fucking hilarious and it takes the mind of a women to even make sense of it! That's pretty much why men universally don't understand it. The men getting no pussy think Feminism is awesome because they want pussy and figure play along, and the men getting pussy know that doesn't fucking work anyway and just say what they fucking believe.

Go to: