Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Brexit

Credits go to amarillion, Ariesnl, Chris Katko, Dennis, Elias, Johan Halmén, m c, Polybios, raynebc, type568, and Yodhe23 for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Brexit
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I've been noticing some asymmetry in the EU debate. To summarise, the leave campaign have been attacking and invalidating the remain camp's arguments, but the reverse, as far as I can see, has not been happening.

For example, the leave campaign has been attacking the remain camp as follows:

• David Cameron and other high-ranking politicians stand to gain jobs in Brussels, and thus have a personal interest in staying.

• The jobs apparently linked to the EU are mostly not in danger. Trade deals are not necessary for trade.

• etc.

Meanwhile, here are some leave arguments that the remain campaign has not, as far as I can find, made any rebuttal of:

• It's stated that the general public cannot vote the current EU government out of office periodically if said government has upset them (whereas we can do that with our UK government). Can the remain campaign comment on this?

• EU supporters tend to be big, established businesses who can deal with excessive regulation but know that such regulation cripples startups that could one day pose a competitive threat. Can the remain campaign comment on the concern that entrepreneurship might be being stifled by the EU, or the accusation that they will benefit more than the population as a whole if we stay?

• etc.

<TL;DR paragraph>

Now there are various 'counterarguments' I can think of myself: it's not proper debate material but I noticed that Nigel Farage, one of the leave proponents, thinks (according to Wikipedia) we should be using coal power which is one of the dirtiest, and he compared banning smoking (which causes passive smoking) to banning donuts (which doesn't cause passive obesity), and he said guns should be legalised and they don't increase violent crime. For all these reasons, I think he's wrong and dangerous and I have a gut feeling that these views will be harming UKIP's success more than any (real or perceived?) racism or xenophobia. However, the reason I say this isn't proper debate material is that it doesn't invalidate his arguments; it only casts doubt on his motivations, making me feel we have to look harder for what he is leaving out of his arguments. The EU is believed to be strict on pollution for instance, and that is probably a good thing - although apparently the UK government set the VAT rate on green energy products to be 5% instead of the EU's mandated 20%, and the EU prosecuted them for it, so just who is supporting green energy now?

So, my question is, has anyone else noticed this? What's the general feeling at the moment as to whether we stay or leave, and has it changed since my mention of it in the never-ending thread? Can anyone provide convincing counterarguments to the leave campaign's arguments, since the remain campaign don't seem to be doing it? Or have I just missed it and does anyone know where to find those arguments?

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Counter leave: economy will plummet, probably more than it did in 2009. And there're a lot of supporters of this thesis. & well, honestly you gotta be really clueless to imagine economy won't get instant damage. How will it cope in the very long term is up for debate.

Append:
& something to support my claim.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think it'd be cool to see the world power dynamics change a little bit. It could be a step toward tighter relations with the USA.

But I don't know what's best for Brits. I don't care what it'll do to the EU (in this context)--that's their problem since Brits need to do what's best for themselves.

I also think citizens in general would be better off if international trade was reduced / more difficult. This whole NAFTA, TTIP B.S. has done nothing to help the average citizens and the more independent nations, the harder it will be to implement more "screw the lower/middle class" trade deals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement#United_States

Quote:

[on NAFTA] EPI economist Robert Scott estimates some 682,900 U.S. jobs have been "lost or displaced" as a result of the trade agreement.[40]

http://ttip2016.eu/blog/ttip%20jobs.html

Quote:

There are also studies which suggest the complete opposite result, including a report released only this month, which indicates that up to 600,000 jobs will be lost in the EU as a direct result of TTIP. Read the full report here.

Anyone can say what they want about NAFTA, but post NAFTA it's almost impossible get a "US made" car that isn't produced in Mexico. Heck, even my two Volkswagen P.O.S.'s were assembled in Mexico, and they fell apart at the seams before they hit 100,000 miles.

Meanwhile, my Toyota was 100% built and assembled in the USA and has zero problems whatsoever. No stuttering, no signs of aging, no broken parts. And I'm passing 120,000 miles. (My Jetta didn't even hit 80K before the timing guides, timing chain, and camshaft gears exploded due to faulty-designed chain guides. Oh, and the transmission explodes because the differentials have rivets and they shear off at 100K, as well as a $1.00 retaining clip that snaps and allows the idler gear to rub against first gear slowly tearing the transmission to pieces.)

[edit] A quick glance at the wiki shows a large variety of options for how Britain can do business with the EU. That sounds like a great deal and a great opportunity to negotiate terms that are better for Britain.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Oh... a politics thread on the internet... I already regret participating. Also, inb4 someone mentions a certain someone who is probably going to be president of the US(it will happen, even if this is UK/EU politics). :P

In my usual left-wing-anarcho-hippy-zen-ist tone I just want to throw in this:

In a neoliberal extremist capitalist world ruled by finance mongers and megacorps who shit on basic human rights and democracy(and who continue trying to weaken countries by wanting to establish their own laws at their own courts where they can sue countries if any of their(the countries) laws cause them financial losses), it hardly seems to matter whom anyone votes into or out of office, whether nationally or in constructs like the EU, so... I'm not sure "we can vote UK gov out of office" is really a leave argument or whether it is a point that is irrelevant in the decision between staying or leaving.

Also a bit defeatist... meh.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Yeah I noticed that too. It's pretty much a pattern that keeps turning up all over the place.

Obviously Britain should leave, and the notion that that might be bad for the economy and therefore they should remain is false on multiple levels. To start with it is principles and morals, so denigrating the issue to one of financials is a weasel tactic. Additionally, the EU is going down the tubes, remain and go down with them.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

The EU might not be perfect, but if you want to have anything to say in the world. Bigger is usually better.
Unfortunately some EU members act like a 3 year old child.. Demanding the whole mastodont moves from belgium to france and back. Just because they want to feel important too. That kind of mentality is a bigger problem than the EU itself.

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

It's stated that the general public cannot vote the current EU government out of office periodically if said government has upset them (whereas we can do that with our UK government).

I'm not sure, but is it even correct to talk about an EU government? IIRC, the powers of the EU commission are rather limited and most of the more important decisions require the consent of national governments or parliaments. I don't know exactly, but it might well be that Britain could veto most things it doesn't like anyway.

Quote:

EU supporters tend to be big, established businesses who can deal with excessive regulation but know that such regulation cripples startups that could one day pose a competitive threat. Can the remain campaign comment on the concern that entrepreneurship might be being stifled by the EU, or the accusation that they will benefit more than the population as a whole if we stay?

Well, the EU has never been more than a "single market" most of the time. So my view would be that leaving would certainly not facilitate access to that market, which is, by the way, the biggest in the Western world. In fact, by unifying regulations and abolishing trade barriers within the EU, it has done a lot for all kinds of enterprises who conduct business in several EU countries. I wouldn't think it'd get any easier when Britain left, when you might have to deal with member states individually. I can't see this would be easier for small enterprises. As I understood it, the EU is about reducing bureaucracy by harmonising regulations.
Of course, big enterprises can entertain more lobbying staff at Brussels, but I doubt that is different in London or elsewhere.

There is another pro-EU argument contrary to your first one: It might be nice to have another institution watching over national states in case something goes wrong in an individual state...

I'm certainly not pro-EU (light bulbs, anyone? process of (s)election of commission personell is dubious at best), but just because it is flawed like so many things I don't think it is a good idea to abandon the project altogether.

Generally, I feel all this anti-EU sentiment is part of a bigger anti-establishment movement which, currently, seems to take the form of a renewed nationalism around the globe. I sincerely doubt any of this will solve any of the real problems. It'll only make things worse.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Polybios said:

I feel all this anti-EU sentiment is part of a bigger anti-establishment movement which, currently, seems to take the form of a renewed nationalism around the globe.

This. Generally this is the reason I believe. It's something people won't like to confess to, so it finds it's exits in various "benefits for big corporations", "personal interest of politicians" kind of accusations.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

m c said:

To start with it is principles and morals, so denigrating the issue to one of financials is a weasel tactic.

Well, like I said, the EU has so far been mostly about creating the single market. Its primary purpose is economical, it has only limited actual power in "non-economical" fields of policy, so it's kind of natural to have economic arguments.

Just checked some random statistics about the UK's "most important trade partners". According to these, the UK has 44+% of its exports going to EU countries (the US being the single most important trade partner with 14%) and 42+% of its imports from EU countries, with only US (8.7%) and China (7.5%) as major non-EU-trade partners (both behind Germany, though).

Most non-British Europeans I know say: "Well, they've already got special rebates, what else do they want now?"
Now I will stop the propaganda. :P
No, really, the EU is far from perfect. For example, the commission is the only institution with the right to initiate EU legislation. IMHO, this should be given to the EU parliament, too.
It's always a good idea to challenge the Eurocrats. ^^ But as Mr. Cameron seemed to be quite stressed, I have the impression his gamble got out of hand.

edit: Now I've done the absurd and spent about half an hour of the evening reading through some of the UK websites from both camps. The pro-leave people in the comments sections seem to have found a purpose for their anger and excess free time... This seems to be about emotion, not about rational arguments.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I would completely change the structure of the EU government and remove all national governments without replacement. Then instead give all power to the EU parliament. There would be no more possibilities for states to exit after that - it would just be one big country :)

And the reason is, instead of having 28 corrupt and incompetent governments, there would be only a single one left. And getting rid of 27 of those would be a huge win :) If the UK exits before that, my idea would only get rid of 26 governments - so of course that would be very bad.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Ariesnl said:

Bigger is usually better.

Actually you'll need to cite some examples. Every example bigger is worse.
Cities vs towns:
City is bigger, city is worse. Instead of a superior house and land package, you have an inferior apartment, and you have to pay more for the privilege.

Population of country:
China and India have low standards of living, New Zealand and some other small pop countries have the highest standards of living. In India, many places do not even have plumbing because they cannot afford to there are too many people. Whereas they had indoor plumbing in fucking ancient greece. How many thousands of years ago was that? They had a few people that worked together locally and made a nice little city with good amenities, and they could afford to do that. Bigger is worse.

Like I know what you're thinking: Economy of scale. Create a good, powerful system (the EU) and it will be able to make everything even better than if everyone duplicate the effort and work on their own. But by now, after all these years it is time to face the music. The reality 5 years ago, 4 years ago, 3 years ago, 2 years ago, last year, this year, how it likely will be next year. It is atrocious. Stop reinforcing defeat and just axe it. The sooner you do the sooner you can start rebuilding after the EU disaster. Or don't, and wait another decade. Britain has bad leadership, otherwise this would be a non-issue.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

It's stated that the general public cannot vote the current EU government out of office periodically if said government has upset them (whereas we can do that with our UK government). Can the remain campaign comment on this?

Before you start saying that the EU is undemocratic, think about this. Is it democratic to have a hereditary head of state? Is it democratic to have a system where one party can receive 15% of the popular vote but 0 MPs, as UKIP did? Every democracy works following its own rules, and sometimes those rules may be perceived strange or illogical by outsiders. That doesn't mean that it's not a democracy.

EU citizens vote on the EU parliament. After an election, the EU comission (=government) is composed of politicians, one for each country, nominated and approved by the EU parliament. The EU is governed according to transparent rules, and people get a say on their actions in a regular election cycle.

When trying to understand the EU government, you have to also look at governments in other European countries. The EU government system is actually very similar how the government works in many EU countries (AFAIK), certainly in the Netherlands and Germany. The system in the UK is different, more similar to the American system, where each politician is tied to a constituency. I think a lot of the misunderstandings in Britain about the EU are related to the fact that their democratic system is so different from most countries in the continent.

I think leaving the EU because you don't like some of the policies is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

nominated and approved by the EU parliament

Unfortunately not true. approved: yes, nominated: no. This is done by the European council "taking the results of the European elections into account". The council consists of the heads of national governments.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I stand corrected. But then the european council consists of elected officials, so there is still democratic oversight. I'll admit that it's a bit indirect. And unfortunately the EU constitution was rejected, what we have now is a hodgepodge.

Still, it's better to push for change from within rather than stand in the sideline and complain.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

In my experience, it seems that the further away a representative is, the less likely they are to represent the will and best interests of their constituents. It's hard to demand work from someone you can't see.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

On the other hand, the more politicians are elected, the more they are dependant on campaign donations and thus more bribable. You see this in the US, where there is so much money going around in elections that the only politician not in somebodies pocket, are the ones that are billionaires from the start.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

... and especially those will, of course, always "represent the will and best interests of their constituents." ::)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Interestingly, the remain campaign have pointed out that we have the European Union Act 2011 (semi-useless Wikipedia link) which, as far as I can tell, is broadly intended to prevent the UK government from transferring any further UK Parliament powers to the EU without a referendum. It was prompted by the EU's adoption of the Lisbon Treaty which apparently took place despite an Irish referendum that rejected it.

To state the obvious, this act won't have been winning us friends in Brussels, but it does also help us to feel that our democracy - which must be at least a little bit legitimate since the Conservatives and Labour know we can flipflop between them when they upset us - will be protected if we stay in.

[EDIT]
I've heard a new viewpoint now: that the UK is one of the most corrupt EU member states in terms of tax evasion, and many of the prominent Brexiters (such as Nigel Farage) embody that corruption, as well as standing for the unregulated capitalism that leads to an increasing divide between the rich and poor (such as - one of my bugbears about this country - Assured Shorthold Tenancies, which basically mean tenants can't risk standing up for their rights against landlords). The EU naturally wants to control and regulate this, which is good. Meanwhile, there is the view that sovereign states tend to go to war with each other, and the EU, for all its faults, prevents that happening within most of Europe.

One question is who would lead the UK in the event of a Brexit, and if it's all the people currently campaigning for it, then the above viewpoint is probably worth taking note of.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That's an interesting point. Britain contains the City of London (which is separate from "London"). The City of London has its own government, laws, and exemptions from British law, is run solely by trade groups, and is probably responsible for the majority of corruption in that country.

video

11,000 people. "arguably the financial capital of the world."

[edit] Wrong video.

-----sig:

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Woah.. Cool.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

I resent being presented with binary options, especially when put as a false dilemma from both sides.
I am sticking to my "vote strike" and refusing to endorse an inherently corrupt system with my participation.
Though I am still amazed that people seem to not grok the golden rule...

www.justanotherturn.com

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Look at the big picture. All the EU is, is a club of democratic nations, related by geography, trying to cooperate, trade, and prevent war.

Why would you not want to be part of that?

All the other stuff is just nagging about tiny details. In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter what the EU says about vacuum cleaners? The exact rules of the game are being debated all the time, different political fashions come and go.

The only thing that remains at the core: cooperation, trade, peace.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Unfortunately those are unsubstantiated assertions. There are people claiming that the EU is run dictatorship-style, with no democratic process in place to replace the people in charge if they don't put the people first, making it possible for them to not put the people first. Those claims are equally unsubstantiated of course.

While citations would help, it's unrealistic to expect everyone to do their own research, and that's why I want to see a healthy debate where mistaken assertions are challenged. My original complaint was that I couldn't find any challenges to the 'leave' campaign's assertions.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

...with no democratic process in place to replace the people in charge if they don't put the people first, making it possible for them to not put the people first...

Exactly what particular things have happened in the history of EU, which proves that this is a big problem? Maybe this could happen, if things would go wrong, but has it happened already?
I'm not a big EU supporter, in fact, I voted NO, when we had the Finnish referendum. But because we joined the EU and that's how things roll right now, I fully support it now. Though I'm prepared to loosen a lot of things, putting more emphasis on peace, environment and refugee politics, than on economics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Unfortunately those are unsubstantiated assertions

How so? All I said was that the EU is a club trying to cooperate, trade and prevent war. I thought that would be pretty uncontroversial. But lets try to substantiate that somewhat

Trade
Surely I don't have to prove that the EU is promoting trade? The EU is a free trade zone. Even the most ardent Brexiteer would admit that, and Brexit arguments are usually about how the shortfall in trade with the EU would be compensated.

Cooperation
Some of the many ways the EU promotes cooperation: by giving exchange grants to students through the Erasmus program, by scientific funding to cross-border research, by removing visa requirements and removing border checks through the Schengen treaty (which Brits unfortunately opted out of). Member states cooperate on environmental policy, policing (Europol), security.

Peace
I know that I can't prove that the EU has ensured peace. Nobody can, for that we'd need a portal to an alternative universe where the EU doesn't exist, and see what is going on there. All I can tell you that throughout History, Europe has been plagued by war culminating in two devastating world wards right until 1945. Then in 1950 the first foundations were made for what is now the EU with the schuman declaration. Quoting wikipedia:

Quote:

Schuman proposed that "Franco-German production of coal and steel as a whole be placed under a common High Authority, within the framework of an organisation open to the participation of the other countries of Europe." Such an act was intended to help economic growth and cement peace between France and Germany, who were historic enemies.
France was thus the first government to agree to surrender sovereignty in a supranational Community

This was really a breakthrough: right after the devastation of two World Wars, an effort was made to do something different, to give up some sovereignty (over Coal and Steel production in this case) with the specific aim to establish peace. One thing led to another, the history of the EU can be traced directly to this first step.

There is a lot more on wikipedia. I think that should make a good read.

Go to: