Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » How to compose music for video games

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
How to compose music for video games
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

In the games I've made so far, there has always been a big missing piece: Music. I've tried to add creative commons works in the past but it's not easy to find something good and fitting, and I'd prefer to have something original and exclusive anyway.

I've decided to do something about that. I've never been a very musical person, so I had to start from basics. I bought a keyboard and took some piano lessons, for about a year now.

I'm ready to try something. Do you have some tips on what would be a good way to get started? What software to use? I've dabbled with milkytracker and Bruce Perry pointed me to Noteworthy composer, although I'm not really proficient enough with sheet music to make it work well. What about synthesizers? What should I know about music theory and where do you learn that? Do you know any online tutorials?

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

My brother uses Reason. I know less than nothing about music composition so that's all I can help you with :(.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I personally use Fl Studio. There are tons of free VSTs out there, but sifting through them is such a chore.

I'm so tempted to just invest in Native Instruments Komplete in a few years.

But back to music theory. To me at least, music isn't easy. I power through in some passionate bursts but I can't normally just sit down and churn out some music that fits. If you are getting into music, you'd be best to restrict yourself to simpler instruments (either a physical one, or simple MIDI-like instruments like a virtual piano sound) so you can really grasp what's going on and separate it from the flashiness and special effects that only really work when the fundamental beat, notes, structure and pacing are sound. (no pun intended.) The way a brilliant composer can make the cheapest instrument sound amazing, but an amazing instrument will still be unlistenable when played by a novice. It comes from understanding the essence of what's going on.

That's not to deter you. But my point is, music is practically limitless in potential complexity and scope, so make sure to restrain yourself as a beginner so you can focus learning the ebb and flow of music creation instead of getting distracted by the flashy bits that are to be used sparingly to "fill in" or "spice up" a song.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

David Couzelis
Member #10,079
August 2008

As an alternative...

There's a huge number of hobbyist composers who would LOVE to write music for you for free, just for the opportunity to say that they have music in a finished game. Consider asking someone on a place like the Game Music Composition forum on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameMusicComposition/

(One of the top posts at the moment is "Let me make music for your games".) :)

...But, of course, this doesn't matter if you just want to write the music yourself for whatever reason. Which I totally understand. I wrote the music for all of the (crappy) games I've worked on over the past decade, but I'm considering just inviting someone else to do it this time, or to at least help. :)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

FL Studio is a great piece of software.

There's a huge number of hobbyist composers who would LOVE to write music for you for free, just for the opportunity to say that they have music in a finished game. Consider asking someone on a place like the Game Music Composition forum on Reddit:

This is also very true.

on a different note, I'm trying to figure out how to effectively incorporate music that is not pre-rendered. E.g. (WAV, MP3, OGG). Music files can get pretty big, but doing it the 'right' way might be better. SoundFonts/MIDI would be good, but Allegro dropped those in Allegro 5.

Maybe I should add that... *thinking*...

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Allegro 5 supports the wonderful and familiar DUMB.

Using DUMB directly seems simple enough if you need more than the simpler API exposed by Allegro.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I second DUMB. If you're worried about space, there's no better format than modules. They still show up in things like mobile consoles where space is scare. (Gameboy Advance / DS / etc)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Thing I don't get about MOD/ID/XM files is that the sound table is inside each file. So 3 songs would be 3 different, (possibly redundant) sound sets.

MIDI + Soundfont seems like it would be better since the sound set is separate.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

MIDI + Soundfont seems like it would be better since the sound set is separate.

Only problem there is not everyone's got a sound device which supports Soundfonts, especially nowadays where the only people with dedicated audio cards are those who need superb sound mixing and quality. :P

Do you have some tips on what would be a good way to get started?

In terms of making music, I still use Impulse Tracker, running it through DOSBox with the DOSBox settings tweaked extremely tight. Probably not the best option to go with nowadays, but I know how to use it which is why I stick with it. ;)

In terms of just making GOOD music though... this is not something you'll learn overnight, or even in a few months. It's a journey; A journey which will almost certainly take YEARS before you're confident in the quality of your work to put it in your own game projects.

The way I learned how to make music was to create my own remixes of existing music. This kind of forces you to listen to all the little intricacies going on if you want to replicate an existing tune as accurately as possible, and as you're doing this, you'll slowly learn why those things make a song sound the way it does. I still make remixes every now and then just to test how far along my skills have come. In fact, sometimes I go the opposite direction for a challenge, taking a more modern-sounding tune and making it sound less modern like something from an NES or Gameboy or such, or I go the other way too, doing an old retro tune in my own style and seeing what I end up with.

But yeah, making your own music is not a skill you'll figure out quickly at all, so in the interim, your best bet for including music in your games is to either commission others, find people looking merely to be credited, or find existing music which fits and see if the authors are willing to allow you to use it, either for free or for a fee.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Only problem there is not everyone's got a sound device which supports Soundfonts, especially nowadays where the only people with dedicated audio cards are those who need superb sound mixing and quality. :P

Allegro 4 supported soft-loading Soundfonts. Allegro DIGMID

--

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Thing I don't get about MOD/ID/XM files is that the sound table is inside each file. So 3 songs would be 3 different, (possibly redundant) sound sets.

The point of these files was to be standalone, but these file formats allow you to make a single file contain several sub-songs, each one with an optional intro followed by a looping part. Sound samples are only needed once.
I even remember one of the Amiga trackers could store music as "song", where the samples are not in the file, they will be loaded by filename. An incredible number of musics were written using just the "stock" sample disk ST-01, this is exactly the kind of sound font you're talking about.

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Today making music is an art of two slightly different angles: music theory and technical stuff (mastering/post processing). Theory itself is huge subject and requires some dedication as it is important one. No one likes chord progression accompanied with false bass line or melody that goes nowhere and so on. Technical side requires learning to listen sharply and using all these VSTs and stuff to make the sound perfect - proper panning, absent clipping, compressing, EQing etc . There are lot of horrible words in that word that needs to be mastered :)

They say you need an "ear" for all this. This thing is also acquired one - you don't get it when you born (but some do ;D ).

The biggest flaw that can pop up is this: there'll be time when you will connect with cosmos and receive musical ideas (starting with simple melody and ending with whole full track in your head). The problem is, once you go writing it you may either forget the idea or fail materializing it - it's because of lack of experience. This could be very daunting.

Anyway, what it needs is time. If you're willing to spend few years on it then go on. Few years might sound scary but think of it as hobby for a start - you'll do it with pleasure. Learning an instrument is a great move. Personally, i managed to master this art in one decade (and still there's a lot to learn).

---------
There are lot of holywars about using this or that DAW. Or which tracker is best? These are all just a tools and you're one behind the tools - it doesn't matter what you use. Personal preference is question about taste - you should try all the daws and choose the most comforting.

Of course some DAWS will be easier than others and if that's a criteria then go for FL Studio. If you need empty space which will be filled with only necessary stuff go for Cubase. My favorite criteria is the speed - of all software the new and fresh Prosonus Studio One provides that together with nice interface.

Trackers offer different technique of composing music. IF you like both there's an old Skale Tracker that could be used as VSTi.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

There are lot of horrible words in that word that needs to be mastered

I see what you did there ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Bruce Perry said:

There are lot of horrible words in that word that needs to be mastered

I see what you did there ;)

Haha, You got me ;D ;D
Consider this as a pun.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Few years might sound scary

Well I started learning the Piano at 35 - I never expected to be proficient in just a couple of years. I can deal with long term projects.

FL Studio is a great piece of software.

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll give it a try. Learning a new tool might help me formulate the right questions.

Theory itself is huge subject and requires some dedication as it is important one.

I suppose I'm at a loss where to get started though. Some good books perhaps? I asked my piano teacher but he recommended some dense academic works. I suspect he's not really a person who learns from books - to him all books are equally boring.

Consider asking someone on a place like the Game Music Composition forum on Reddit

I might try that as well. Part of the reason I want to do it myself is that I feel squeamish about asking somebody else to invest time in my crappy games, without anything in return.

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

I suppose I'm at a loss where to get started though. Some good books perhaps? I asked my piano teacher but he recommended some dense academic works. I suspect he's not really a person who learns from books - to him all books are equally boring.

Can't say much about that type of books - the best place for some suggestions would be musical school. People there could hint you best authors. Some books, however, expect you to know the basic-to-advanced terminology.

Well, don't make it hard for yourself. I'm sure there are tonz of lessons on youtube that cover all the required topics. Search there.

Kris Asick noted doing remixes. Remaking other tunes is great experience boost. It serves as ultimate workout that touches all the musical "muscles" - one of them could be counted as solfeggio. Doing exact copy of melody requires hearing and imitating notes properly.

Besides, let someone play some notes on piano behind your back and try to guess which note is that - once you master it, everything will become much, much easier.

Good luck :)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I would have limited faith in music theory books and much more faith in experimentation and experience. Study works by the great composers. As you learn to play them, you will notice things they do that make them work. A good piano teacher can also help you with this. Experiment with improvisation too, and see for yourself what works and what doesn't. Like this you will develop your own style and compose stuff you can feel, rather than just trying to comply with rules and ending up with something that sounds autistic. :)

All that said, a limited amount of reading in companion to the above won't hurt at all and can be quite useful, but you can do that later when you have a better idea of how to choose such a book.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I would have limited faith in music theory books and much more faith in experimentation and experience.

100% agree here.

--

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Sorry Mark, couldn't stop myself from asking, but is that guy a relative of yours? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYFKcMa_Ek

Go to: