Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » [A5.1.13] Joystick Problems

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[A5.1.13] Joystick Problems
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I had read somewhere in these forums about problems with the joystick locking up the keyboard, I am wondering if that was fixed?

I didn't have the problem on my system (Windows 7, 64bit, Logitech F310 joystick), but I just got a report from someone who played my game (Deluxe Pacman 2, available at the link below), which I compiled with Allegro 5.1.13 and MinGW (premade by Edgar) and his keyboard completely locked up.

Any solutions to this? Something in code perhaps to detect this and reset it maybe until a fix is done?

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

The joystick driver under windows has nothing to do with the keyboard one, so I am a bit baffled, really. Could it be that in your game there is subtle bug with the handling of the keyboard and joystick events? Do you use the keyboard state API? The latter has a certain risk of keys getting stuck when tabbing out, for example.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

beoran said:

The joystick driver under windows has nothing to do with the keyboard one, so I am a bit baffled, really

Well.. not until they hit the event queue, which could have a bug.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I use nothing but events in my code. I recently implemented Joystick support using Allegro 5.1.13 (the one built my Edgar) and got back two reports right away of the game randomly freezing up, so bad that they had to restart their computers to get the keyboard to work again. I remembered reading someone reporting the same thing in an older post here.

I ended up removing joystick support anyhow, at least for now. The support was very simple, I just added in joystick event checks, no states etc... as I have grown used to using events with A5. My A4 code used states and works fine. My game has had no problems with the keyboard or locking up until I added the joystick event checks in. I only report this here because I recall someone else reporting this, I think it may have been a far back as 2013. I had been searching for help with joystick functions at the time.

I never had it happen (yet), and I played for hours. I had one person report it almost right away, another person reported they had it happen after a long period of play. This makes me think of a memory leak, as I have 10Gigs, but perhaps they have less. <shrug>

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Go to: