Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Leverton Number

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Leverton Number
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Apparently the first Tremors came out in 1990. That was 26 years ago. :o I was expecting the 2000s... :o I'm old.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I met Bruce Perry so that gives me LN=3?

But who has met Shawn Hargreaves? That's what I wonder.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

George Foot met Shawn, and I think Bruce Perry met George Foot?

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

My number would be 0. I'm not very social in person. I talk to people on Facebook, Twitter, here, gamedev.net, etc., but I've never bothered meeting them in person nor have I had any interest in doing so.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

I think the only acceptable 0 here would be Leverton himself. It goes with his "Supreme Loser" moniker.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

No, Specter, your Leverton number is 6.

The Wikipedia says 6 is (believed to be) about the average. However it is easy to see that someone with few connections may have a much higher number - so from what he said that may be the case in his case. Also:

Quote:

Among all working mathematicians at the turn of the millennium who have a finite Erdős number, the numbers range up to 15

So even for a small and interconnected set like publishing mathematicians there are some with 15, far higher than 6.

--

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I think Erdős number is about mathematicians, who have worked together. "Six degrees of separation" is about any connection.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Ah, true. The 6 degrees is basically "friend of friend of friend...", which is a much weaker connection than having worked together, like the Erdös and Bacon numbers, latter one going up to 11 apparently. The Leverton number is about merely having met in person once so probably even weaker than "friend of friend".

--

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

No, I guarantee my number is zero:

Have no friends; stopped talking to them 11+ years ago. Home body; only go into town if I absolutely have to and even then I try not to talk any more than needed. I sit at home with wife playing video games (Steam, PS3, PS4, Kindle), programming, or reading tech books. Wife either plays with her iPad or iPhone. I am quite literally the most boring man alive.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Sadly I have met neither Richard Phipps nor George Foot. Sorry to break your connection, Peter :-/

I have however met Andrei Ellman, Elias, Tomasu, Sevalecan, Moosader and da_flo. And of course amarillion. Wonder if I've forgotten someone... I met a Russian guy who was on here the first time I went to Tokyo :)

I also worked with two people called Dave and Eugene who I believe previously worked with Shawn, George and Damyan.

So, who's up for Kyoto AllegroCon March/April 2016? ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

No, I guarantee my number is zero

You don't get it, do you? Small number -> near connection, big number -> far connection. So you know no one. Maybe your wife knows someone.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I also worked with two people called Dave and Eugene who I believe previously worked with Shawn, George and Damyan.

Yay, so my Shawn-Leverton number is 4 :)

--

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

We need an online graph tool for this.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Numbers or no numbers, I hope I never meet Specter....that could get depressing :-/

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I am quite literally the most boring man alive.

You don't get out much, right. But you could still be Neo, "The one"

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

You don't get it, do you? Small number -> near connection, big number -> far connection.

No I get it. I'm 0 (null) (void), or I suppose you could say I'm infinite.

Quote:

So you know no one. Maybe your wife knows someone.

Nope. Wife and me have grown to hate the stupidity in the world so we stay to ourselves now.

You don't get out much, right. But you could still be Neo, "The one"

If I'm "the one" the world is screwed.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The one comes into the world, find the world to be stupid, and gives up on it. The world eventually dies because the one didn't find the world worth saving.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

1   2 

Go to: