Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Why is allegro absent ? where is allegro ?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Why is allegro absent ? where is allegro ?
dhia hassen
Member #16,240
March 2016

I am using allegro from long time , and i like it so much , but i was always waiting for a new version , and new branches for other platforms and i am wondering now where is all that ??? , it supposed to happen right !? i dont know if they are doing that right now ! but i wanna make sure :/ , please don't let allegro just disappeared and put in mind that someone is waiting for it . i wanna join allegro team and make new branches and frameworks for allegro on android especially like cocos2dx ! why we don't ? why we don't make a new c++ version and java version too ?! that is what supposed to happen if the project is going on ! right :(

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

dhia said:

why we don't make a new c++ version and java version too ?! that is what supposed to happen if the project is going on ! right :(

We were waiting for someone like you to answer the call. Now make us some new bindings.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

dhia hassen
Member #16,240
March 2016

I will launch a opensource project named NewAlleg with two branches one is the c++ version of allegro Alleg++ and a other branch to java named Jalleg++ :D we will work on in together , while there won't be a lot of work to import allegro to c++ (just sorting codes in classes) then we may make some extra tools , but for now let's concentrate on porting allegro to java (android) because SDL does that form long time , we begin first with making Jalleg++ . then we need to collect developers and to make a team , and we need web designers too for a new website ( a moden one :3 ) . let's begin from here i am waiting for you ;D ;D ;D .

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

IF you're here to gather a team, you got it wrong.

dhia hassen
Member #16,240
March 2016

why ??? is this website empty ? Is there any professional programmers here ? where i can do then ???????

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Because most of us are already occupied to something ?
And commonly: if you really want something done, do it yourself. Don't wait for a team or teammates to do the work.
I hope I'm no harsh, if you feel so then I'm sorry, but I still think it's the reality.

dhia hassen
Member #16,240
March 2016

Ok is it possible this summer , you think so ?

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

I don't understand when you say new c++ version.

I have always used C++ with allegro and I am currently doing so with Allegro 5.

Can some one please enlighten me I am missing something here.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

dhia hassen
Member #16,240
March 2016

allegro doesn't use classes (like box2d for example) because it is written in c, when it does you can inherit them ( classes ) and make your own interface that will make it's usage easier , you will have a "Allegro Display" object and you have a global class "Allegro Manager" that let you manage each allegro object ... you see the structure became easy to understand , if we make that people will like allegro more and use it more , and if they dont like it they simply inherent classes and make the changes they want . you see it so attractive . ;D

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Well that's not really attractive for me. I like allegro because she is low level.I Like to dress her up from scratch. I don't play with barbi dolls but I love to play with allegro. I like to know how everything works in my projects.

wow

dhia hassen
Member #16,240
March 2016

using c++ does not unable you to know what is going behind the library calls , the only change is to make a interface that can be adapted to your specific solution , for example you can write this :
class screenshot : public Allegro_Bitmap {
private :
Allegro_Display * disp; // the display that you will capture
int x,y; // the start position
int x1,y1; // the end position
public :
screenshot(display ....){}
void take_capture(){...}
}
as you can see you know how everything works , a screenshot is acctually a bitmap with some added methods .
however the project now is now on Github https://github.com/dhiahassen/Allegpp

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

I understand what you are saying however your example is very simple.

When class a gets large because everyone wants to put everything under the sun into it they tend to be not as clean as the example you gave.

I have been working with 2nd even 5th hand Delphi code. When I looked at that shit I am like "come on people start a new class". The inheritances can become way out of control.

wow

dhia hassen
Member #16,240
March 2016

It is not about inheritance , it is about putting each allegro structure with it's methods within a class . like letting al_create_bitmap(int,int) be the Allegro_Bitmap class contractor , you are not forced to use it in the way you don't want , it is up to you to append allegro in your code in the way you like , if you like inheritance then you use it if you don't then use your own way , however it is a chance to add some extra futures like full support of 3D with allegro only not opengl , and maybe a physics component . and i already wrote AllegUi library for graphical user interface . don't tell me that allegro is perfect and complete we still have a lot of work to do specially porting it to other platforms , you have the Github link any code is welcome

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Expectation:

class Bitmap {};

Reality:

interface IDrawable {};
class     Bitmap : public IDrawable {};
class     Texture : public Bitmap {};
class     Sprite : public Texture {};

Actual Reality:

interface IDrawable {};
class GameObject : IDrawable, IPosition, IHasPosition, Vector3F, IControllable, IPhysics, INetworkClient, IBehavior, IExistForNoReason, IBloatTheCodeBase {};
class     Bitmap : public GameObject {};
class     Texture : public Bitmap {};
class     Sprite : public Texture {};

There exists already an OO library: http://www.sfml-dev.org/

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Yeah, I was going to post that. ALX is already a C++ wrapper for Allegro.

When you have a C library it doesn't matter what you want to use because everyone can easily write bindings around it. Allegro has Python bindings, C++ bindings, D bindings, and more.

You cannot go from C++ to C because C++ does not have a standard ABI, whereas C has a de-facto one per-platform because it's a MUCH simpler language. C++ is "considering" adding a standard ABI and I'm very hopeful that they will. But until they do, 99% of people who want libraries to be used by everyone need to use C, not C++, for this very reason.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

why we don't make a new c++ version and java version too ?! that is what supposed to happen if the project is going on ! right

One day I wonder why there were not a Pascal version because I thing that it is what supposed to happen if my projects are going on, so I did it by myself.

Anyway, C++ doesn't need a different version.

allegro doesn't use classes

And what's the problem?

It is not about inheritance , it is about putting each allegro structure with it's methods within a class . like letting al_create_bitmap(int,int) be the Allegro_Bitmap class contractor ,

That's just the way Allegro works.

If you read Allegro's sources you see it's object oriented, despite it uses just C. Note that "object oriented programming" is a way to face a programming problem, not a language feature. You can use OOP in almost any structured language.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Go to: