Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » If you had the time, money, energy, what projects would you work on?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
If you had the time, money, energy, what projects would you work on?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

As titled.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Neural networks, robots. Electronic applied to science.
And I would love to use all the above to help humanity.
Edit: and space of course. Space, bitches, SPACE !!

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

I'm helping with the regex101.com site (making a 2.0 version), but since I've had very little time to do so, it's mostly the site author doing the work, and me just throwing in a few changes here and there. With more time, I'd be spending a lot of it learning the new tech that he's using, as well as implementing all of the tasks needed to get it out of a pre-pre-alpha stage and into the hands of some testers.

And I would want to revamp an old project from Allegro4 to Allegro5, although again: I'd need time to learn the new system (haven't touched A5 at all). I'd also like to update it from very procedural C to more OO C++.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

time, money, energy
Pick 2 >:(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I could dream big here, but to be a bit more practical I've teased the idea of contributing to Git and Mercurial and if I had time I might actually get around to it... Came close to submitting a patch once for Mercurial, but ran out of time to test it and got away on me and somebody else fixed it (as far as I know).

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

1. A synthetic speech device, where I control the vowel sound with left hand on a joystick and consonant sounds with right hand on a keyboard. I started on this 20 years ago. It was fun and thrilling, but there probably is no need for such a device, though I'd think I would rather use some real time speech advice instead of a text-to-speech device, if I'd be unable to produce natural speech.

2. An opera.

3. I'd buy a Volvo Amazon, a Volvo P 1800, a VW Beetle 1963, a Ford Anglia and a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 1973. That's my list of most beautiful car models of any time. Then I'd work on them. Should be simple and forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'd finish all of my games... or at least the first 100 or so. Only thing I never seem to get bored of. So yeah, if somehow I should ever win the lottery (money), first thing I'd do in the morning is quit my job (time + energy), re-register my games company and then work on games 70 hours every week :D

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

One day I'd like to start my own company as well. I don't necessarily want to just do games forever... I like lots of stuff. But there's a few games I think that really need to be done.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

I'm actually saving up to start my own game company. I moved near a University, and want to employ students as interns; they would develop the games and learn programming at the same time (real-world application). If/when the games became profitable, I would redistribute the money to those people who contributed (helps them pay for school). Unless it became unprofitable, I don't see how this wouldn't be a win-win.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The games industry is extremely competitive and games are some of the hardest programs to write... And games experience isn't particularly useful to the business world. It will certainly be good experience for people studying games programming, which is what most of us think we want to do when we're in school, but I'd be cautious about how "easy" you think this will be... If it was that easy everybody would do it. Of course, it does seem smart to organize volunteer students together on projects they're interested in. But I think you'd have trouble getting people to show up reliably. Eventually, when they realize they aren't getting anywhere, or that the time is cutting into needed study time, they'll probably abandon you. :P

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Retirement is going to be great, 'nuff said. As long as I stay healthy enough to have energy/mind capacity to do what I want.

I just want to make/play games. I'd also like to start my own studio and have been leveling up on business experience (technical project management, leadership, legal contracts). Hoping to have enough reserve funds in 10 years to do so and I'm making games on the side in the meantime. I've got a small network of game industry contacts too for advice/perspective.

If we have several here who dream of one day having their own studio, we should consider teaming up. :)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm planning / hoping on operating a horizontal business with many different targets so that my "game development" side can be more of a non-profit that doesn't have to worry so much about cost overruns.

-----sig:

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I would probably take piano lessons, concentrating on left hand/right hand techniques. Then post a youtube video of me playing my guitars, one in each hand, finger tapping "Manic Depression", "Paranoid", or "Heart And Soul".

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I'd build AI/bots for video games.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Go to: