Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What will you get for Christmas

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
What will you get for Christmas
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I'm not a brass player, but I love brass music. And especially the trombone. So I ordered a cheap trombone. If I'm nice, I'll get it for Christmas. If I'm naughty, the mail union strike will prevent me from getting it. Though it's a really cheap Chinese model, it's used by one of our trombonists in the big band and he likes it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Very little, other than some cash so I can pay the bills, and keep the kids fed. Me and my significant other aren't supposed to get each other anything, as she has been "fired" from her job as a teacher after some kids made up some allegations against her. I am currently buy low on the net and selling high on ebay so I can get her something nice, whilst I try and get my first proper wage in 40 years, after a stupidly long time believing in the psychedelic dream, and that my computer skills were good enough, but unfortunately my social anxiety disorder (called clinical shyness in the old days) does well to shaft me at every turn, and to be honest I feel obsolete before I was even born. Never quite getting there, always seemingly being a little too late to the hustle. Not to complain as I have a lovely family, and a fairly decent life, I just wish I could stop bricking it about how I can be a provider for my family, and stop these voices in my head telling me I am shit.

I hope we all get world peace for christmas, and an end to this eternal low-grade civil war that has been going on since we realised that were somewhat a little different from everything else going on.

www.justanotherturn.com

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I need a job. :/

My boss sucks supremely, and this area sucks for jobs.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Absolutely nothing. Christmas, to me, is for my wife and son, so I blow money on them. February, I may get a PS4 with Fallout 4/GTAV, but I plan to get my wife her favorite perfume ($95 a bottle), and my son a bigger TV for playing his PS3 games on.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'm hoping for a job as well. One which doesn't make me want to kill myself every day. Anyway, interview coming up on Tuesday so will see where I will be over xmas.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I'm hoping for a girlfriend. Or some sleep.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Exclusive, Bob. Mutually exclusive.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Elias, I would find it very hard to believe you would not get whatever job you applied for.

Best of luck!

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Pretty much like Johan: I bought myself a hurdy-gurdy :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Shouldn't a nyckelharpa have been the right instrument for you? A friend of mine bought the blueprints to a hurdy-gurdy. I shamelessly copied them and gave the copy to my father-in-law, who is a carpenter. Now he hast two hurdy-gurdies. Great instruments!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I was going to build something like that! I didn't realize people already invented that.

Considering their price, though, it looks like building is still a good idea.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Johan: the problem is the same for key harps as for hurdy-gurdys: namely, that you can't fucking buy one anywhere unless you pay someone to make a custom instrument for you. :(
Pretty much any other instrument, there's someone in China making a cheap copy, but not these ones.

I think I know of the exact blueprint of which you speak, because I was going to build one myself together with a friend of mine - but then he moved to France and I lost the carpenter's workshop (i.e. his dad's workshop :)) - we needed to build one and the whole thing fizzled out. But hey, if you have a spare one, seriously, PM me and we could work something out...

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

gnolam said:

Johan: the problem is the same for key harps as for hurdy-gurdys

Sounds like I need to start a business...

[edit]

WOWW

video

-----sig:

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I know, right? You could totally do covers of old game music on one of those. ;)

--

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I signed up for the Secret Santa at Pixelation for the first time this year, so hopefully, I'll get a nice piece of Pixel Art from someone... and the satisfaction from also giving a nice piece of Pixel Art to someone.

Happy stress free pre-Christmas weeks folks!

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

After about 7 years without upgrading my PC, I decided it was finally time to treat myself and got this pile of delicious hardware:

{"name":"609949","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/4\/64aabf25781d161f4bb1d4a307599091.png","w":800,"h":961,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/4\/64aabf25781d161f4bb1d4a307599091"}609949

CPU: Intel i7-4790K CPU - 4 physical 8 logical cores at 4.0 GHz
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W G2
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming Geforce GTX 970
RAM: EVGA 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR3
SSD: Samsung EVO 500 GB
Mobo: AsRock Z97 Extreme6
CPU Cooler: Noctuna NH-U12S
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow full tower
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift pg278q

Certainly on the upper end of the spectrum for me, but should last me for the next 10 years or so ;). I'll probably move the 4-HDD raid into this computer as well and use my old PC as a living room unit sharing the raid as a network drive.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bob Keane said:

I'm hoping for a girlfriend. Or some sleep.

Truly these are contradicting. My girlfriend pretty much prevents me from sleeping. She wakes me up on the weekend for no good reason. She insists on colliding in bed to the point of being uncomfortable to lay there. And the daytime isn't any more harmonious. I think that women are a desire of the olden days when they were worth it... But maybe that's just school debts talking. She should graduate in April and based on her work ethic, as long as mine doesn't rub off on her, even if there are no jobs in her field she should more than pull her weight. So yeah, get a girlfriend like her, I guess. (I reserve the right to change my mind.)

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

After about 7 years without upgrading my PC, I decided it was finally time to treat myself and got this pile of delicious hardware:

I really enjoy looking at pictures like these. Have you put it all together yet? That is a fairly ricey case, and I approve.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I don't really have an idea this year. But since there's gonna be several concerts next year I'd like to visit I think I'm going to surprise everybody with an unusual request for tickets. That or nobody gets any presents because I'm buying those tickets 8-)

Let's see, there's going to be Jethro Tull the rock opera performed by Ian Anderson. in January. In April there's going to be Steven Wilson. Iron Maiden are coming to Prague in July. And after so many years without concerting King Crimson will visit in September - an offer one cannot simply refuse :)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

What will I get for Christmas? Hopefully a digital to analog TV decoder since Mexico is switching off analog TV but I'm among the millions of people who doesn't even own a digital TV.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

It's arrived! :)
Now let's see if I can actually get some sound of it...

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

What will you get for Christmas

Maybe a ChristmasHack gift?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

1   2