Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Everyone should stop using this site

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Everyone should stop using this site
torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

When you post something here, there is no way to delete it. Ever. I'm asking everyone to stop using this site.

We need a new forum for helping people with using Allegro, and for discussing Allegro development. Something that is not controlled by just one person, especially not one with as bad judgement as the person running this site.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

When I was 9 years old, I got a ZX Spectrum, and I learned programming on that.

This was in 1989. The ZX Spectrum was already way past it's best-by date, only I didn't realise it at the time.

Still, there I was, writing my BASIC games, waiting for the PC fad to end, hoping for a ZX Spectrum revival so I could publish and sell my ZX Spectrum games and everybody would be playing them.

It took me a couple of years to catch up with reality. Still, there is no stopping progress. It's kinda pointless to complain about it.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

hoping for a ZX Spectrum revival

... patience is rewarded ... :)
http://retro-computers.co.uk/

Quote:

and everybody would be playing them.

... that may be too much to hope for :(

Back on topic - what's got your goat, Torhu? You are one of the few on here who reliably make sense! Don't go.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

torhu does make a good point... but then again, everybody leave Windows and switch to Linux is also a good point...

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

No one forced no one to come here. Your complain are vain. Whichever is the forum you finally choose, there will be at least one (or more) evil moderator who also can own the forum.

Now I must say I'm happy with a.cc. It's free speech here, afaiac

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You can't delete posts because of spammers and trolls that would abuse such a feature. :-/ Be careful when pushing that post button. You can always edit your post, but again to avoid abuse the history of edits is available. If you accidentally post something that should not be made public you can appeal to Matthew Leverton himself to make an exception and remove it. This would have probably worked more reliably in the past when the site was more active and he was more likely to notice such an appeal sooner, but I'd still expect him to get it before long... ???

Honestly, the forum software here is magical. It's nearly perfect. It's simple, efficient, and reliable (with few exceptions). You couldn't ask for better software. A few have asked Matthew to release the code on several occasions so that it could be used elsewhere!

As for the community, it used to be the best that you could ask for. That has largely eroded due to people growing up and getting a life, "social justice warriors" making fun discussions disallowed ("NO FUN between the hours of midnight and 23:59!"), and the relative decline in demand for a C-based low-level 2D game library. It still has some of the best people around though. Many of them are just lurking these days, only popping in to say hi after a few months of inactivity, or to respond to a particularly interesting topic with which they have expertise.

What I'm trying to say is, pleeeeeeeeease, pleeeeeeease, don't leave me. :-*

Append:

I'm assuming you did ask ML to do something and he told you no. :( That occasionally happens, and you won't always agree with every choice he makes, but it comes up rarely enough that it doesn't really interfere with your enjoyment of the site or community. The burden of administering a server is quite high. You will end up with that same problem no matter who is hosting it.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I will never stop using this site! It's one of very few websites I always come back to, even though I'm mostly lurking.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

A lurker ! Another one !!!
8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

bamccaig said:

you can appeal to Matthew Leverton himself

Who?

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Not being able to delete your posts is a dumb reason to call for everybody to vacate the forum. My only minor gripe with this forum is the lack of some niceties like a quote post button.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

raynebc said:

Not being able to delete your posts is a dumb reason to call for everybody to vacate the forum. My only minor gripe with this forum is the lack of some niceties like a quote post button.

ML's rationale there is that he doesn't want people to go quote-happy, nor does he want to see nested-quote soup. I think most of us would agree with that. It's one of the many things that makes a lot of other forums barely useful.

You can implement your own quote button if you know a little bit of JavaScript (after years of quoting manually I reluctantly wrote a JavaScript helper). That said, ML also made it trivial to quote automatically: prefix a quote with "> " or wrap it in <quote> tags and if the text matches exactly it will automatically reference the original post. You only really need to tweak it if multiple people said it, etc.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I will never stop using this site! It's one of very few websites I always come back to, even though I'm mostly lurking.

Oh god! Lurkers!

{"name":"LhI6P.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/30d0a8ef3e3d0c897097ec4de44b2a29.gif","w":370,"h":256,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/30d0a8ef3e3d0c897097ec4de44b2a29"}LhI6P.gif

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

raynebc said:

My only minor gripe with this forum is the lack of some niceties like a quote post button.

There, I just copy / pasted your quote, and if I'm not mistaken the forum will fill in your name automagically.

edit: indeed it did. Pure magic!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

This thread presented to you by Barbra Streisand. ;D

Some truths:

• I always delete things - including entire accounts - when people request it, although I'll usually try to figure out what exactly it is they want deleted before wiping years worth of valuable answers on the programming thread.

• To my recollection, Torhu has never requested to me that anything specifically be removed. And if so, see the prior point.

• Even if there were a way to self delete certain content, it would just be a false sense of privacy. Once you post, it's there. I'm sorry, but the Googlebots have collected it. The NSA has stored it and sold it to the Russians.

• As I've mentioned before, the post revision log is only accessible to authenticated members, so regular search engines will never find content that you've edited.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

bamccaig said:

You can implement your own quote button

I'd never tried this "wiki mark" notation, never paid much attention to it in the formatting help popup.

Edit: After a second try to insert whitespace after the >, it looks like I got it to work.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

As I've mentioned before, the post revision log is only accessible to authenticated members, so regular search engines will never find content that you've edited.

"Blocking Google from crawling a page is likely to decrease that page's ranking or cause it to drop out altogether over time. It may also reduce the amount of detail provided to users in the text below the search result. ... However, robots.txt Disallow does not guarantee that a page will not appear in results: Google may still decide, based on external information such as incoming links, that it is relevant."

edit: just to test if I can't access this when not logged in.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Quote:

However, robots.txt Disallow does not guarantee that a page will not appear in results: Google may still decide, based on external information such as incoming links, that it is relevant."

robots.txt allows them crawling all the posts anyway: https://www.allegro.cc/robots.txt

But google bots or any anonymous visitors simply have no way to even see the edit history no matter what.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

This thread presented to you by Barbra Streisand.

I would do her.

How about letting her, me, and everyone else delete their posts if they want to? You delete spammer accounts anyway, so what's the issue?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I am so confused...

Also, torhu doesn't even use his real name here..?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Let's join the StackExchange family where only those with high reputation can see deleted posts :D

Finally we will be able to upvote novel-sized rant posts and offer bounty in the off topic section! Best of all, we can select a Best Answer on a philosophical rant!

allegro.stackexchange.com

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Torhu said:

When you post something here, there is no way to delete it. Ever.

That's true all over the internet. Are you going to quit using it and live in a cave?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Also, torhu doesn't even use his real name here..?

Good catch, mate :P

jmasterx said:

Let's join the StackExchange family where only those with high reputation can see deleted posts

If that's true, you should stop using that site. And so should everyone else.

Bob Keane said:

That's true all over the internet. Are you going to quit using it and live in a cave?

No, it isn't. And would that mean I have have to drink my own pee?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Instead of being random and crazy why don't we have a conversation about what your issue is and how it all got started? :-/ There's always IRC if you want to escape the clutches of the moderators of A.cc (see, there are possible benefits to having a distributed, fragmented community!).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Post something on the internet, and it will get cached or saved somewhere else on the internet. It's a guarantee. If you don't want someone knowing something, don't post it on the internet :P

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

munching popcorn

Moar entertainment for the plebs please.

But in all reality, my sentiment on this "drama" is to quote my favourite game in the world.. (Double brownie points for those that grok the reference).

"Please don't go, the drones need you."

www.justanotherturn.com

1   2 

Go to: