Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Okay, Carol!

You know that is a man's name too right? Carol O'Connor (Archie Bunker), Carol Chessmen (the redlight bandit) etc. ;) Sort of like your name is both a male and a female name... Chrissy. :)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Christine. ::)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Christine.

Awesome movie! One my wife and I's favourites. :)

video

..."pure evil"... fitting. :P

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Almost finished this now.

{"name":"611300","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/6\/8636f5a95579be5268d57e306ab278b2.png","w":711,"h":499,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/6\/8636f5a95579be5268d57e306ab278b2"}611300

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

LennyLen said:

Looking pretty good!

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Also, who do you guys think will be the last person to post here before the thread gets locked?

Matthew Leverton. >:( What do I win?

Neil Roy said:

+ appropriate avatar

Let me just say that is an epic avatar. Nice work. :)

Okay, Carol!

video

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Roy said:

Looking pretty good!

I finally got DataTables, DataViews and DataGridViews sorted. They're not difficult, but it's just a very cumbersome process.

update:

I just bought one of these. Now I have to wait for it to arrive.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

ahah, I saw the "18+" button and I assumed the vape things would be covered in naked chicks or something. "Risky Click of the Day"

I forgot it was just because they're smoking paraphernalia.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

ahah, I saw the "18+" button and I assumed the vape things would be covered in naked chicks or something.

It's naked women with snakes for hair. ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

I finally got DataTables, DataViews and DataGridViews sorted. They're not difficult, but it's just a very cumbersome process.

I'm still trying to figure out what problem(s) they solve better than not. :P

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

I'm still trying to figure out what problem(s) they solve better than not.

They're not that useful for data manipulation. At least not small scale. The amount of boilerplate code you need to write is too much for a small application. They're useful for displaying data to the user in a tabular format though.

I was originally going to create a dataset that completely represented the access file in memory, and use that for all my queries instead of constantly hitting the database, but it just wasn't worth it. I still needed to create my own data structures for holding the data that the queries returned anyway. I do now need to query the actual database file a lot, but it does it so quickly, you can't tell.

Now I just make up data tables when I want to show the user information. Each datatable actually has information gather from several tables in the database. So I read the info the datatable needs from the database, then create a dataview to give a sorted view of the table then set the dataview as the datagridview's datasource.

For large projects that store large amounts of data in memory at a time, I can see the use for datasets, but I doubt I'll ever need them.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

I'm still trying to figure out what problem(s) they solve better than not.

Seriously?! What have you been doing for jobs for the last two decades?

- Anything with C# uses datatables.
- Data tables support databindings. That means they automatically update when the data changes, and your cursor selecting one entry can automatically change whatever actual data is.
- Note that the data VIEWED doesn't have to be in the same format as the DATA ITSELF. It could be across multiple tables.
- Databindings/tables can be SQL queries instead of raw data.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm a Web application developer. These "databindings" don't work very well for that. ;) I believe there is (or at least was) some support for this phenomenon in ASP.NET, but the ASP.NET controls are an abomination on the Web and Web developer.

The last time I used a databinding wasn't very long ago, but as far as I could figure out there was no magic way to have the bound data update automatically in the database. I had to write custom SQL for each data manipulation command. I just find the entire API a waste of my time. I can build my own data types to serve the purpose that work how I need them to without the limitations of Microsoft's solution.

Importantly, they don't even seem to support a group update (e.g., where many rows are updated at once). This can be pretty important for performance reasons. Rather than issuing N commands you just issue one. Of course, whether this is useful or necessary depends on the application, but I personally have never found data tables to be very useful for my work. The corresponding GUI controls also tend to be rather rigid and inflexible. Of course, I haven't spent a decade on Windows programming so I'm not an expert on it. I've spent a decade on Web application programming (which takes a thousand forms and is constantly changing). These are different worlds.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

And now with invoices...

{"name":"611307","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/6670349680dcb6204e5b6e1a1d4f8281.png","w":668,"h":676,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/6670349680dcb6204e5b6e1a1d4f8281"}611307

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

I was quite proud of this as it worked the first time I implemented it. of course, I spent lots of time understanding how this works ahead of time, which helped.

Very interesting. I'd like to get into 3D programming, but whenever I see any 3D code, it just seems so daunting. :o

LennyLen said:

Looks good! Nicely done!

Quote:

Matthew Leverton. >:( What do I win?

He's a robot now, so he doesn't count.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Very interesting. I'd like to get into 3D programming, but whenever I see any 3D code, it just seems so daunting. :o

There's definitely some math involved, but once you start to understand some basic concepts and finally find a use for the Pythagorean theorem your math teacher kept pushing on to you, it can be rewarding. It can also make your head explode. It's amazing how much more you have to do with just one extra dimension. It's also interesting just how slow even modern hardware still is when it does 3D. There is a lot the programmer has to do to cull out; a lot of extra polygons to minimize what the computer has to render in order to make the game reasonably fast. You have to cull out what is just off the edge of your view (frustum culling), you have to cull out the polygons which face away from the user which they do not see (backface culling), you have to take into account the polygons which cannot be seen because of some other object blocking them (occlusion culling), then there's LOD (level of detail) which you lower as things get farther away, including just flat images at a far distance that turn into more detailed objects as you get closer. If you do all of this, you may get a reasonable frame rate with a detailed scene. If we ever invent a fast system bus, that would solve a lot of our problems.

I just got done watching an interesting series of videos where the guy takes apart and recreates an old game called "Dangerous Dave". He goes over programming it from scratch, including how to extract the original graphics from the original executable. He decided to code it in C89, to stick with the same C they would have used back then, with Notepad++ to code with and a makefile to compile. All of the game code is in ONE large file. It was a really interesting series to follow and could give some people an idea on how to do such a game. He hasn't gotten many views yet which is too bad as much of the programming applies to any language. The fact that it is done in C means it should be easier for people to port to their favourite language. In any event, I liked it.

video

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Thanks for sharing that video, Neil. I watched a few of his Dangerous Dave and Traffic Department 2192 videos. He's pretty knowledgeable. A shame his content hasn't received a lot of views yet.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

A shame his content hasn't received a lot of views yet.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. He done a great job on them, I was surprised to see the low view count. I tried to make it a point to like and comment on each video somehow.

Messing around with MakeHuman. It's a free, open source 3D program for creating 3D models of humans. There are plug-ins for Blender where you can import them into that, or save as other formats like Wavefront OBJs for use in your games etc. Neat stuff. I may use it to create a model for a 2D game, import it into Blender and further work on the animations then render them for the game.

You can grab it here...
http://www.makehumancommunity.org

There's also more clothing and such available that others have created you can grab for it...
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothesgallery.html

This is a quick render I done with it using default models and clothes...
{"name":"611308","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b66012d01dc9860f573c6384ba9cf659.jpg","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b66012d01dc9860f573c6384ba9cf659"}611308

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Wow Lenny, that site is nice !

Bookmarked !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Wow Lenny, that site is nice !

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I discovered it a week or so ago when we were about to be hit by an ex tropical cyclone. The wind and rain that day was crazy. We got off light here, but the area I'm moving to in a couple of weeks had lots of flooding and rivers springing up out of nowhere.

random update:

How's this for a LoC value:

{"name":"611309","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7ab02f59cc4cbf24cef8875c54b83d2b.png","w":1108,"h":199,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7ab02f59cc4cbf24cef8875c54b83d2b"}611309

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Almost matches Neil's member number :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Fate smite.

^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Here's a bunch of supreme posts by the progenitors :

That is probably one of the most useful threads on here. I copied much of what Shawn posted and saved it in my own notes! Very useful and very simply explained. A must read for any budding programmer. :)

---

Go to: