Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Gideon, what you think a kW/h is, is actually a kW. Read on!

<append/>

Here's what the central unit registered today, which was a sunny day:
{"name":"610767","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/3\/1317789f5a532f5a6c27d8a6138fadf8.jpg","w":1600,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/3\/1317789f5a532f5a6c27d8a6138fadf8"}610767

That was the highest effect.

And here's the total energy created today:
{"name":"610768","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/9\/a92846cf338b2327dcecb193f6c96928.jpg","w":1600,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/9\/a92846cf338b2327dcecb193f6c96928"}610768

Neither is very much yet, but the sun is very low. It gets higher along the spring and I might get the full 4 kW in April or May. And the day is very long in Finland dring the summer.

I have no battery bank for this. I rely on that everything goes to heating the house and my water. In the summer I will be selling everything that I don't use myself. That's actually no good business, yet. Because I pay high taxes on the power I buy, but I get a poor price for the power that I sell, and of course no tax refund for each sold kWh. But there are plans for a change on that. It would really boost solar panel markets, if one could simply pay taxes only for the difference. Now if I use 18 MWh per year and produce 4 MWh of which I sell 2 MWh, I pay the buyers price plus taxes for the 16 MWh which I had to buy. After that, I can sell the 2 MWh for a poorer price. I think I should be entitled to tax reductions for the 2 MWh that I've produced. When that is true, or when cheap batteries will be available, I might consider buy some more panels, say 5 more kW. I have a nice roof for that, pointing exactly to the South. Too bad there are some trees and houses shading the part of the roof that is not yet covered with panels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sounds like in Ontario it already works that way. You can either sell what you don't use to the grid and have that subtracted from your consumption, or sell everything at an apparently better than market price and then buy your own consumption at market price.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Indeed, watts are a measure of energy converted per second (not total energy converted). 1 watt is 1 joule per second.

The energy industry tends to measure in kilowatt-hours which is just confusing. It's the same idea of multiplying power (watts) by time to get energy (joules), but introducing a factor of 1000/3600 compared to joules. Of course people confuse matters even further by incorrectly calling them kilowatts per hour half the time.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

A kWh is kind of a handy unit, compared to J. Things that use the most electric energy in our home have effects around 1 kW. Or 0.5 to 3 kW. Heating, boiler, sauna, stove. And one hour is easier to handle than thousands of seconds, when thinking lof the time when we use these things.

Same goes for the solar panels. The max effect is 4 kW. And they work a few hours per day, not some ten thousand seconds. We tend to use units that give handy figures. We drink strong liquor in cl, soda in dl or l, though SI system nazis want us to use either ml or l.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Of course people confuse matters even further by incorrectly calling them kilowatts per hour half the time.

This contributed a great deal to my confusion. A kWh is a sustained rate of one kilowatt over one hour, not a ratio of kilowatts per hour.

The aforementioned bass amplifier has a maximum power consumption of 500 W. I would therefore consume 1 kWh of my total daily energy created (Johan's 5.3 kWh above) if I used the amp at full blast for two hours... I think I'm starting to understand.

Thanks, guys! If I were the cookie master, I would pass them out now.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Amarillon is the cookiemaster. He hasn't passed any yet. If he forgot to enable it, we have to start the thread all over again. Obama has to return to office and the whole election has to start all over again. And this time I promise not to speculate over what would happen, if Trump won.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"6b6I5EP.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/413e3e85303e6991e1f8b69993bdb5c7.gif","w":500,"h":375,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/413e3e85303e6991e1f8b69993bdb5c7"}6b6I5EP.gif

Cookies are for quitters. This thread has no cookies. It has no ending:

{"name":"278562_200x130.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f05baf27bc175e1d731ad780d1147711.gif","w":500,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f05baf27bc175e1d731ad780d1147711"}278562_200x130.png

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

So... how about VR? Have you tried it? It's pretty cool I must say, got to borrow an Oculus Rift from a friend and just throwing stuff is so much fun which is kinda weird when comparing it to reality.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I had tried a racing game on my Daydream, and that was enough to sale me on it. If only the Daydream controller wasn't so crap for that type of game.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Arvidsson, did you try virtually jerking off? Was it equally effective as the real thing? Apparently virtual groping is traumatic so we can only hope that virtual sex is just as real!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Ouch.

Still, at least it's a way to prolong threads.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

On a related note, teabagging has been banned from the Killer Instinct world tournament circuit.

On a related note, I had no idea Killer Instinct had a world tournament circuit.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

The only thing traumatic here is the extent of intellectual pain ("Ouch.") that certain posts cause. :P

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

On a related note, teabagging has been banned from the Killer Instinct world tournament circuit.

Slicing up your opponent with swords, knocking them off a building, totally fine. It's fantasy!

But the teabagging, it's just too close to home. :-[

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

But the teabagging, it's just too close to home.

You knew uncle Joe, too? :'(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I find that absolutely ridiculous. I have watched a lot of pro-level CS:GO lately (there's a tournament in Atlanta or something), and I can't say I've noticed it, but then it also wouldn't stand out because I've seen it enough times (and generally it's not especially provocative). Also in CS:GO they're usually pretty busy trying to grab weapons and utility if necessary, or just generally trying to stay psyched up for the the rest of the match. In any case, I wouldn't support any kind of ban. If a pro wants to teabag somebody that's fine. I don't think it would really affect any pros. I seriously don't think they could have gotten to that level if it did. And if it's because of the sexual innuendo and trying to make the tournaments family friendly, fuck that because it's a mature game and there's absolutely no reason to do that and anybody that could figure out what it means on their own is old enough to see it. I can see why they would want to keep the game somewhat clean for sponsorship purposes, but I don't think that anybody watching a video game tournament (i.e., the target of the ads) would be offended either.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Personally, I find it offensive. If I want to play a violent game, fine. But keep your teabagging and your verbal abuse to yourself. You should be banned. :P

And don't give me that "just ignore it" shit either.

And while you're at it, take your "locker room talk" and stuff it.

And one last thing. The only ones who should be deported are Trump and his KKK buddies.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's not that simple. Everybody has to agree on what behavior is problematic. In particular, the majority of gamers should have more say than the minority of easily offended ones. If a few people are offended by behavior we shouldn't prohibit it to suit the special snowflakes. It's only behavior that most of us agree is problematic that should be punished. Teabagging is definitely not one of them. The gaming community fucking loves it. The Internet loves it. That's one of the greatest things about the Internet. That kind of creativity and comradery.

Even once you do define the behaviors that are problematic policing them is another problem. You can't really let the players police it because trolls will group together and abuse that power to hurt people. And there isn't enough manpower to police the entire gaming world, let alone finding people that you can trust to do the policing. The best solution is to provide players with reasonable powers to limit the abuse. A basic tool is being able to mute other players that you don't want to hear. Usually you require a voting system for things like kicks and bans, but it's rarely going to work because people enjoy being trolls. In CS:GO it's common for people to get kicked out of the game for the lulz, but when somebody is actually hacking or being a nuisance it's rare for them to get kicked.

People are assholes and the Internet allows them to go all out. Of course, perhaps that's a good thing. Perhaps it gives them an outlet to be an asshole without actually hurting anybody. We can't be too rash to make changes to a system without fully understanding the entire system. You kick them out of Counter-Strike perhaps they'll go outside and start torturing cats and upgrade to murdering people. There's no telling.

Human behavior is complex. The best thing that you can do is not let it bother you. Don't feed the troll. That just makes it stronger.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I had to talk else those two bastards who have killed the thread. They put so much nonsense in their replies that even I start to be readable and understandable.

As a human, I pee on all those politic fuckers. Wait, what, did you even start to think that they CARE for YOU ? Haha. Let me LMAO.

Be it Clinton or Trump both are horrible. Actually one of my preferred moment of the week is when I see Sen. Sanders destroy them at the parliament. Be it DT himself or one of the fuckers he nominated.

It's Monday here. I also have some roadwork just down the windows. It just makes programming/living harder.

Plus part of you Americans got Trump to be president. Who do you think is to blame ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Let's discuss the temper tantrums people are throwing by rioting in the streets, destroying property, and reportedly also attacking people. And of course, the police resistance to it. Either Trump won fair and square and they have nothing to be so upset about or the election was somehow rigged. Though there was apparently reason to believe that Bush Jr.'s first election was rigged and they never rioted for that as I recall, and apparently even re-elected him?! People are insane.

Apparently there was a shooting at a mosque in Quebec (French province of Canada). 6 dead, many others injured. It's unclear if it's related at all to the unrest to the South. It's not entirely clear what happened, but one of the suspects apparently has a "Muslim name". One of the two suspects has also apparently been cleared as nothing more than a witness, but I haven't had any success figuring out which of the two is the witness.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Jesus christ you guys, such downers. VR is so much fun! And with Unity I can get up and running and make simple demos in no time. Engines are awesome, woooo! It's so much fun to just create pointless shit because it's fun to play around and not take everything so fucking seriously. :)

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Until I can pet a dog in VR, I won't spend any of my hard-earned cash on the fad. >:(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: