Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Yeah, I had a feeling it was, but then my mum got scared.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Your mum ?
WTF ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

That was a Bel Air :)

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Wow Bruce. I didn't think to be that old when it came to tv show, but I was wrong.
Le Prince de Bel Air was a popular one here too, and I remember it even if I was young.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

It was a hit in Spain too. So much it was re-aired 4 chapters every day last year. Again.

Actually they do this (airing a lot of chapters of a popular show in a row) quite often in Spain. For example, The Simpsons, any CSI series, The A Team (yep), Knight Rider (Here known as "El Coche Fantástico [The Fantastic Car]"), The Closer, Major Crimes, Murder, She Wrote, Two (and a Half) Men, The Big Bang Theory... I know all dialogues of some of the series.

But the worst thing about this is that in a lot of cases they aired the chapter unordered, so you may found a chapter of series #1 after a chapter of series #8 after a chapter of series #4... It's insane.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Oh no! We're running out of things to talk about!

Bring on the kitties!

video

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Long phone is long.

{"name":"610600","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46fa37eb59d710d01bc0d496ab08841d.jpg","w":2448,"h":3264,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/6\/46fa37eb59d710d01bc0d496ab08841d"}610600

It's premium stuff - HDR camera, enough memory to cope with all the bloatware, and the screen actually responds where I touch it instead of in random places. However, the keyboard is a noticeable step down from the Photon Q I had before:

{"name":"610601","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/e\/de33c426a860aa5d0ce9aa43d024454f.jpg","w":1456,"h":952,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/e\/de33c426a860aa5d0ce9aa43d024454f"}610601

(Mine also has coloured lighting unlike the stock ones, although the colour scheme is different - I bought it from the same guy on eBay, who mods them with SIM sockets.)

So, on the Blackberry, there's no dedicated number row, and the only dedicated punctuation key is $ of all things! And instead of arrows, we have gestures which are cumbersome to activate and difficult to control precisely (and if you forget to activate them, you just deleted a whole word). I hate to say it about the only company that is making keyboard phones at all any more, but no wonder Blackberry's not doing as well as they'd hoped with that phone :-/

I would probably still be on the Photon Q if its battery hadn't failed. The replacement battery came today, so it's fitted now, and at least it's up and running and I can get the data off it. One thing didn't go quite according to plan though: the battery had an NFC antenna stuck to it, which I probably broke while moving it to the new battery, but hey, I didn't even know I had NFC on that phone.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

If you guys need something to do, I could use an animated gif of a cat walking, preferably with an easily removable background. Somebody wants me to make a small computer game with a cat and a litterbox, where you click on the litterbox, and the cat uses it and says "Meow". The game is utterly simple, but I need a good animation, and my google fu is weak these days. NOTE : This is mostly for lulz.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

That keyboard is miles beyond anything else I have ever seen on a portable device. I would never want to upgrade.

On a related note, I am currently looking for a prepaid emergency phone. The first deal I found is $100 for 400 minutes good for 365 days. Sure, the price per minute is horrible, but hopefully this phone will never be used. Does anyone know of any better deals in the U.S.?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"tumblr_n462v8R3nj1t4pxxdo1_250.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/4\/c4beb65c8ba3be54ba513b2a70683b1a.gif","w":250,"h":153,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/4\/c4beb65c8ba3be54ba513b2a70683b1a"}tumblr_n462v8R3nj1t4pxxdo1_250.gif

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Just watched "Before The Flood", narrated/hosted by Leonardo DiCaprio.

video

We should all have to watch this once a week. It adds much needed perspective to all of our lives. When it comes time to vote politically it reminds you what really matters. It alerts us to the corruption that rewrites science as it is broadcast on national and international news outlets. It horrifies us with the undeniable hopelessness of the human race, and of the planet Earth as we know it. The Earth will be here in 50 years and even 100, and so might our children or grandchildren, but we can almost guarantee that they'll be suffering the consequences and reality of war in ways that we cannot fathom as they struggle to conquer and defend the limited remaining resources required for life at all, a life of luxury that we've known a distant fantasy. Instead of progressing the world into a dystopia of peace and prosperity, we're likely dooming our descendants, if not our aged selves, to a life of turmoil the likes of which we've only peeked into in documentaries flying by developing, war-torn nations. I do not envy my future self or the lives of my progeny. Maybe, just maybe, if we rewatch this every Sunday instead of sleeping in or attending some form of house of hopeless lies then we'd begin to reshape our projections of the future for the better. It's quite damning to see the alleged progress that China, of all nations, is apparently making in the renewable energy sector while the USA continues to consume so much more and contribute so little in return. If I was a religious man I'd hope my deity had a place in Hell assigned for each of us.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Added to Watch Later, for when our current crazy deadline is out of the way :)

On a similar note, long comic is long (and this was my similar "we're doomed" moment):

{"name":"earth_temperature_timeline.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/c\/6c45976f4d9ee8607a8a840329e26f93.png","w":740,"h":14957,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/c\/6c45976f4d9ee8607a8a840329e26f93"}earth_temperature_timeline.png

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Bumpity bump!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

<- Totally on board for fixing climate change.

(even though I realized I just bought a burger)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I really want to try eating insects as a source of protein. The science seems so much more practical. I realize it won't be as appetizing as beef or chicken, but it should be so much cheaper and more green! I've made a few attempts to locate insects for food, but unfortunately in North America it's kind of difficult unless you're going to farm your own...

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I had a beetle from Africa once.

It tasted like a rock.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I have eaten assorted, vacuumed packed, dehydrated/smoked insects a few years ago. They all just tasted like ash though so it wasn't much to taste. Wasn't much nutrition left either probably. Wasn't bad though. Except for that massive beetle thing that was pretty similar to chewing on a rock... So there's that. I'm not sure if you're supposed to eat the wings/shell though.

I can imagine several insects being appetizing. I know for a fact that smallish ants are harmless to chew on. It's like the seeds in a fruit or something like that. Crickets look very appetizing on a plate. :D

Of course, aside from the cultural barrier to accessing insects for consumption, I have another hurdle. My finacee is the most picky person I have ever met in my life. She will not even eat a McDonald's burger without instructing them to put nothing on it. :P

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I still call it "global warming."

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Quote:

<- Totally on board for fixing climate change.

(even though I realized I just bought a burger)

Does eating a burger work against fixing climate change somehow?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Cattle production is a major contributor to methane in the atmosphere which is something like 20x worse than CO2. Cattle in general are terrible for the environment. Not only do they produce massive amounts of waste that leaks into our water, and greenhouse gases, but we also destroy lots of forest land to make room for them. Beef is terrible for the planet. :P (Beef is also incredibly inefficient to produce by comparison to just about every other food source...)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

And the vast majority of food we grow is used to feed cattle.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

^ Ah, right. That's the other destructive force: the production of the food for the cattle, which is also massive. Thanks, Mark!

Go to: