Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Thanks all :).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@Edgar Reynaldo :
You want black characters in ItsyRealm? ???

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

ItsyRealm is arguably controversial for certain people...

It has a ton of queer representation. There's a character for all the letters in LGBT+. Like for real, there's a non-binary dog. :o You can also customize your gender and pronouns. If you wanna be referred to as xe/xim/xer and your gender be Two-Spirit, well, you can.

There's characters of all real races, too. I think there might be more dark skinned peeps than regular peeps (outside of randomly generated characters, which, are, random). I have like 4 'real' skin color options to rep that (plus like 3-4 crazy colors right now) and can always add more ezpz.

The NPCs have pronouns. For example, when you recruit sailors, it shows their pronouns and gender. There's a lot of genders sailors can be too...

IDK. It's very inclusive and diverse which arguably in this day and age is controversial. ::)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I would argue that the level of LGBT+ inclusiveness could be the game's biggest selling point. There are plenty of tv shows and movies centered around LGBT+ but really, really, not that many games; especially good games like yours. The community will play it and share it among the community because it gives them a feeling of belonging; at least that's my hypothesis.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Depends. I could see the LGBTLMFAOWTFBBQ++ stuff being a turn off for some, but only if it's somehow disruptive/intrusive to the gameplay. If the player doesn't need to embrace it to play then I don't think it'll hurt any. If the player needs to become an SJW to enjoy the game then I think it'll have a limited audience, but the target audience will probably love it. I think it could be an excellent medium to spread awareness and tolerance too. It all depends on how it's presented and balanced. That said, it remains to be seen whether these themes require an age restriction (or at least, blunt disclaimers). I think that it's too soon to be teaching these ideas to children because the scientific community and adults can't even agree on it yet.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

{"name":"Rainbow_knight_helmet-256.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/0\/504d7e1d3e96e2dcf31aa4d8a043460f.png","w":256,"h":256,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/0\/504d7e1d3e96e2dcf31aa4d8a043460f"}Rainbow_knight_helmet-256.png

Are they founding a gay country? Something like Okama Island.

It seems like an exaggeration, but if there is no other option. Perhaps the blacks would also have to found their own country, and the Feminazis their country of the Amazons. ::)

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I think it's handled gracefully. It's very organic and natural.

Rosalind (formerly Ganymede) is, for example, an 'idromancer' (in other words a shapeshifting wizard). So it makes perfect sense. There is a cisgender straight male who is hopelessly in love with her and there's (going to be) a quest where you try to either help him woo her or sabotage him. And the non-binary dog is actually...

Arguably the most powerful non-divine idromancer/lich in the world - they take the form of a dog/giant fucking wolf, monkey/giant fucking gorilla, and lizard/giant fucking dragon on top of their undead, mummy-like human form.

So my thought process with idromancers was, why would you seek to master shapeshifting magic if you were cisgender? Of course, there will be a cisgender shapeshifter who just transforms into animals so... Anyway, that's just for trans rep. Things like gay, lesbian, bisexual, asexual, etc, etc, etc follow the same logic.

My idea was what if 50% of the world was queer in some way? :) And handle it that way.

Probably the most intrusive thing is the gender selection screen - it defaults to 'something else' rather than male/female. So a majority of people will have to select their gender, while a small minority will not. RIP cisgender people. :'(

And there's nothing stopping you from misgendering or insulting your sailors or Nyan (the dog) or any of the other peeps in the game. They're just bits and bytes in a computer. In ItsyRealm, gender identity and sexual orientation are just aspects of a character like their skin and clothes. It's rarely relevant to the plot. And when it is, the relevancy is handled tastefully. In my opinion.

Also ItsyRealm would probably be rated T because there's gonna be some fucked up stuff in it related to the Old Ones and necromancy so... Though even if it wouldn't have those things, I don't think there should be any disclaimers. No matter how pushy I make the queer stuff. Why aren't there disclaimers for games pushing a heteronormative narratives (i.e., most of them with any love plots or sex or relationships)?

*TL;DR:* ㄟ( ▔, ▔ )ㄏ

edit: Cleaned up the phrasing. Was pretty much word salad. I was in a rush.

---
they / she

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Is it a sexual fetish of animal transformation? Do you plan to include polymorphic furrys? I guess there is a good amount of target audience there.

You may also want to include roleplaying. If you are going to allow the creation of characters to your own taste, better to do it complete. Although in the end you will end up with a game whose reputation is for gay sailors. This idea would still be original. The problem then is that it will lose its horror.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

You are clueless. (*/ω\*)

---
they / she

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Or old. Ignore me and send me to a nursing home.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

You can find "controversial" or "problematic" stuff everywhere if you look hard enough:

Erin Maus said:

There's characters of all real races, too. I think there might be more dark skinned peeps than regular peeps

So human "races" are for real?
Also, doesn't your use of the expression "regular" in contrast to "dark skinned" imply that "regular" really means "white"? So persons of color would be "irregular"? Well, this strikes me as a bit problematic... :-X

Just kidding. :-/

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

"There's characters of all real ethnicities, too. I think there might be more dark skinned peeps than regular peeps"

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I forgot the word 'white' - as in regular, white skinned peeps. Because dare I mention there's purple, blue, and teal skinned peeps too. You know, skin colors that aren't 'regular.'

Oh fuck off.

...Just kidding? Wait, no.

I told you my game can be controversial because there's snowflake conservatives out looking to pick a fight with me, a SJW, waaa waaa. ;D

*edit:* btdubs when I am insensitive, or I do make a mistake in general, I fix it. For example, gender was "Male/Female/Other" for a while but I was told that could be insensitive and unwelcoming; so I changed "Other" to "Something else." If I do the same with PoC characters, I will fix it. Because I'm not a crybaby.

---
they / she

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

It's practically impossible to please everybody because some of these things are literally personal preference. Some people might identify better as an other gender while some might feel better about Something else. Some might want to be able to uncheck Gender because the concept of gender is not part of their identity. Something else is still a gender identity. It's hard territory. Like we all know here you're an excellent person who just wants to do good, you don't really seem to have controversial views, the hard part is conveying that to an audience. You're just trying to do the 'right' thing and be as inclusive as possible and that still won't make everyone happy. I learned that making and releasing music. I realized how subjective it is even though we're just trying to do the 'right' thing, what is right will always be wrong to some and vice versa. You'd literally need separate binaries of the game for each player to truly make everyone happy. (Have them take a personality quiz to pick the binary that's right for them ;) )

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I identify as a poor person! Send me moneys!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Wouldn't sending you money go against your identity? If I send you money you would no longer be a poor person. We would not want you to be something you don't identify as.

If anything, you should be sending us money so as to maintain your identity.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Sending you money would be like giving whitening lotions to people of color. Truly more than problematic. :-/

Erin Maus said:

Oh fuck off.

It is interesting that you react in an unfriendly, even vulgar and disrespectful manner if people politely try to point out problematic tendencies of your speech. This only serves to affirm the previous conclusions and it also certainly violates some point of most codes of conduct. :P

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Apologies. :-[ I'll add a code of conduct to prevent hateful language in the future. I suppose I'll carve one exception, though...

If it's not clear, I'm pretty flippant and like to troll people who aren't down with inclusivity and diversity. :) You might not be a Nazi (for real, I was just trolling) but I'm really tired of people on this forum erasing a lot of issues that effect minorities.

My game stands for a lot of things. You can be a white male cishet if you want. And if you use your imagination and roleplay*, you can be a tentacled serial groper I guess. But the game probably isn't for you. It will deal with a lot of issues that affect LGBT+ peeps and other minorities.

*: I'm a fiery anti-theist in Bloodborne. Purge the faithful. :)

Also I'm gonna kind stop defending my game so in the future I don't have a PR headache. :-/

---
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

For me personally, I actually was trying to help. I am a boring hetrosexual male, but I try to relate to related domains I am familiar with to provide insight, but obviously, I don't know anything about the LGBT+ community, but I do respect and can understand how someone may be born a certain way but in no way feel that way at all. Pretty much every spectrum follows a bell curve, and that goes for gender as much as sexuality as much as anything else.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

You're fine, jmasterx, haha. ;D I appreciate your comments.

---
they / she

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Erin, now I'm ... confused. You do know I was just trolling, don't you? Are you like reverse-trolling me now? For the record, please continue to say "fuck off" to people with bad intentions. And keep up the good work. :)

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

video

Go to: