Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

And Republicans are actively helping Kanye West get on the ballots because they hope he takes votes away from Biden. Politicians have no shame. Both sides are equally crooked in this regard.

The Winner-Takes-All delegate system is a joke and all but ensures that the only thing politicians care about is cheating the system enough in the too-close-to-call states to hopefully eke out 100% of the delegates by getting 0.0001% more votes than the next guy.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

And Republicans are actively helping Kanye West get on the ballots because they hope he takes votes away from Biden. Politicians have no shame. Both sides are equally crooked in this regard.

so you mean exactly what the DNC did when Hillary ran?

https://observer.com/2016/10/wikileaks-reveals-dnc-elevated-trump-to-help-clinton/

Erin Maus said:

Also where were you when Republicans have done a bajillion things to hurt/make it impossible for Democrats to vote?

I don't know how this keeps popping up over and over and over. I'm not a Republican. And, fun fact, I've been calling Bush a war criminal for well over a decade.

Meanwhile, the DNC literally invites his cabinet to speak:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/politics/colin-powell-biden-convention/index.html

A WAR CRIMINAL (plus dozens more neocon war mongers) just endorsed Biden. That should scare anyone.

And nobody cares. They just... do de doo.... go about their days as the people they've been calling monsters for decades join their party and endorse their candidate.

It's almost like... there is only one party and its name is corporations!

People keep pulling this "trick" out of their sleeves by saying "why didn't you care about the GOP" but it doesn't work on me because I care when either side acts like monsters, and that's easy for me I don't derive my identity from a political party. If someone is molesting kids, I don't care if they have an (R) or an (D) before their name. If Clinton banged kids? Execute him. If Trump banged kids? Execute him. If Prince Andrews banged kids? Execute him. Simple. THINGS are right are wrong, and they don't change based on their party affiliation and whether I stand to benefit from them politically. I don't want to "win" my politics knowing it was paid for with molested children, or drone strikes civilians, or any of the other things that are almost impossible to debate ethically.

Cosby is a bad man. It doesn't matter how much I loved him as a child and growing up saw him as a father figure. Now, he's a piece of !@$!@. My feelings don't matter. The objective truth is, he's a piece of !@$!. Repeat ad nausium for every celebrity (Kevin Spacey), and politician.

[edit] FIX. NOT KEVIN SMITH. KEVIN SPACEY

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Slightly off topic. One of my roomates got a "voter id card" in the mail from Mr. Trump. I have not voted in years, is this a new thing?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

You might be in an area the Republicans have been trying to only allow Republicans to vote in.

Or that is some random campaign thing to get your roommate to vote for Trump.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

You might be in an area the Republicans have been trying to only allow Republicans to vote in.

Or that is some random campaign thing to get your roommate to vote for Trump.

My state is strongly Democrat and my roomate is already a Trump zombie. I don't remember reading anything in the news regarding new voting ids and was wondering if this was an (un)official change, something the Republicans did to make thier supporters feel superior to everyone else or to give non Trump supporters the idea thier votes won"t count.

<Edit> I just checked, when you register to vote, you do get a voter registration card. However, putting Trump's name on the envelope sends the wrong message.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Surprised? Trump also puts his name on checks coming out of the treasury as if it's his money.

so you mean exactly what the DNC did when Hillary ran?

So you're saying Kanye West has a chance? :o

And here I thought nothing could be worse than Trump/Pence. ;D

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I got catcalled today. :-X

It's scary for me because what is their reaction if they catcall then find out I'm AMAB?

Ugh...

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Wear a Biden hat. That should stop the people who catcall.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I did an impressions style video!

video

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I was mildly disappointed that it wasn't twenty bad impressions of the spoken nature.

That said, good job. >:(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That's really good. :D So I have to ask again: is there autotune on this? And if so, would you be willing to do the same without any tuning? I love your voice (/jealous), and I just want to be sure it's your voice I'm loving. :)

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

@BamBam

There's a light amount of AutoTune yes, but I would like to take a moment to explain what AutoTune is and why it is used. There's a misconception that tuning software can make someone who can't sing, sing. This is simply not true.

AutoTune, the name brand version, is a software that divides a signal into a pitch and formant component. It will in real time, adjust the pitch component such that the pitch center is aligned to the frequency of the note in the scale and compensate the formant (throat placement) for the amount of change in pitch.

The amount of tuning, known as the rate, is a measure of how quickly it will interpolate to the pitch center. So the T-Pain effect is basically setting the rate to 1ms. I set the rate quite low which equates to very mild tuning.

If I did not actually sing it you'd hear the autotune because the tuner can actually fix very little without being noticable.

So why is Tuning used?

You may have noticed that the vocals are way out in front, like they are much louder than the instruments. If you compare to the real recordings on some of them, the vocals are buried way in the back.

Modern mixing puts vocals way out in front.

Anyways: here is a 100% raw clip https://vocaroo.com/19bsAO8Fa9Pe

I can sing soft too, I like to use a shouty rock technique but I can sing soft too https://vocaroo.com/19Q8btZ8pDZw

@ML

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

So what you're saying is that if I sound good with AutoTune that I can sing? :D I'm about to start a company meeting so I can't listen right now, but I look forward to checking out both recordings later!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

If you sing a song all the way through and use autotune and it sounds good (and by good I don't mean sounds like a robot) then yes you can sing.... if you want to send me a clip I can autotune your voice and show you the difference if you're curious :)

If more raw singing is your thing I have loads of improv sessions of me coming up with song ideas on piano, and these without a doubt have no tuning or anything, just direct piano feed into PC and mic feed. https://vocaroo.com/ihIdpg4FAAV

Personally I like to listen to things that are more polished but I know there's a spectrum for raw vs polished.

I have demos for every song I produce, here is Butterscotch https://vocaroo.com/41tclFAF9J2

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I appreciate live performances, but like you I prefer the polished versions. Sometimes a live performance adds something new, and it's worth listening to too.

My autotune skepticism originates from scrutinizing live performances by various "artists" and bands through adolescence into adulthood. IMO, what makes live concerts great are the imperfections. When things are too perfect it might as well just be a recording being played back to the audience, but then the audience also might as well have stayed home.

Of course, I have also been passionate about rapping and singing (though nowhere near as much as you) and so I also do what I can to improve, and part of that is understanding how other people do so well. :)

In other words, I love listening to the polished works. I'm just trying to understand how you're doing them so that I can try to get better myself. Also, keep them coming. I'd love to hear more. Especially covers of songs that I love.

Those raw recordings are still quite good, and I think it's fair to say they are way better than I can do. I have a very weak voice. This is true of my speech, as well as singing. I also lack an education in music or vocals. I'm completely self-taught and completely amateur.

I would love to send you a recording and have you autotune it to see what the outcome is. My vocal mic died a few years back, and I haven't replaced it, so the quality would be quite poor regardless of my own performance. I imagine that will matter. I also just haven't been singing or rapping very much lately so I'm a bit out of practice too.

Does it have to be a specific song, or can it be just about anything?

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

It can be just about anything :)

It's easier with Pop music since most of that is based on major and minor scales. But just about anything will do.

Ideally it's just the vocal with no other sound or it won't work.

And also ideally you sing along to a track so that your singing is tuned to A440Hz standard.

I'm looking forward to hearing it! Thanks for the kind comments!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

My autotune skepticism originates from scrutinizing live performances by various "artists" and bands through adolescence into adulthood. IMO, what makes live concerts great are the imperfections. When things are too perfect it might as well just be a recording being played back to the audience, but then the audience also might as well have stayed home.

I think of Autotune the same way I do guitar pedals. If done well it adds a nice effect, if overdone it's just another shoddy gimmick.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

LennyLen said:

I think of Autotune the same way I do guitar pedals. If done well it adds a nice effect, if overdone it's just another shoddy gimmick.

Yeah I would tend to agree with that. I would also add - I would say AutoTune can be a productivity tool. Before you had to nail it spot on so you might spend days and days getting that perfect take. Well with AutoTune you can kind of get it 95% the way there and move on to something else so in a sense it gives you more time to focus on other things.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A rough first attempt between work tasks.

I know it's not good. I know I can't do much better. :P But I will try. I think this was recorded using the built-in mic on my work laptop (I was also wearing a wireless headset, but I suspect that wasn't the input mic).

I forgot to or was unable to breathe towards the middle of the song which obviously caused me extra trouble for the hardest part... Breathing is something that I definitely need to train... I also have a high voice, and struggle to go lower, especially while singing. I often end up singing in the wrong range, and adjusting it once I realize. Though I think I have a fairly limited range, if any range at all. :D

I have watched a few voice coach videos on YouTube which I find very informative. They point out all kinds of things that I never would have thought of. I definitely could see use in getting professional direction, but I don't think I have enough potential to invest the time and money in. And it's only for personal pleasure, not for income... Though if I could get good enough to switch to a music career I 100% would try.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Bams I'm impressed! That was a lot better than I was expecting hahah! You have a great voice!

As promised I tuned your vocal. I made 3 versions: Moderate, Heavy, None. So you can compare.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8rcdu0hgycjrzjs/sos2.mp3/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h07b1fsq7yu6ga8/sos3.mp3/file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9ytj6ox0z7e3yb3/sos1.mp3/file

and just for you, here is a live cover straight from the camera mic, no way I tuned this!

video

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Good song choice bambam.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"PQYD9u-GcQU3gO38uG_QYgGgjtW6A6YmTPq-HnFpdltEGPezWPQqYTbBgHZ2vX1UtzgL8hMUom3Aimz0Fbg-va19dpZk7mLSZCN-QQ4JGpYoUWc5gU5cLWKulCPcwgv8SpCuafEGLuo7oYwL86c2ooyYe4lTcgQpIG0","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/ce83bc86c1d616a9883417616cb84eea.jpg","w":300,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/ce83bc86c1d616a9883417616cb84eea"}PQYD9u-GcQU3gO38uG_QYgGgjtW6A6YmTPq-HnFpdltEGPezWPQqYTbBgHZ2vX1UtzgL8hMUom3Aimz0Fbg-va19dpZk7mLSZCN-QQ4JGpYoUWc5gU5cLWKulCPcwgv8SpCuafEGLuo7oYwL86c2ooyYe4lTcgQpIG0

Thanks. :D I've been working at it for a number of years. Still struggle, but have also improved over time. Watching you in videos I think it's clear that you've studied singing. You appear quite disciplined. If not I think you have a natural gift for figuring some of it out.

Hey, some of that turned out pretty awesome! I wish I hadn't butchered the climax. :P Let's see if I can guess which one is which (assuming they aren't in the listed order already):

Heavy: sos1
Moderate: sos2
None: sos3

As for your Patsy Cline cover, that's so awesome! Your voice is so controlled!

I'm curious what tools/software you use to for the mixing and tuning. Although I'd love to just get you to autotune everything I make something tells me you won't work for free and I can't afford you. :P Speaking of which, I hope it wasn't too much trouble producing those 3 versions. Thanks a lot!

Good song choice bambam.

Thanks. Easily one of my favorite songs for singing (or vocals). Such a good song, and Disturbed's cover makes it 1000x better. When I thought about what I should sing I was initially listening to Staind on Spotify. I haven't been singing much in the past few months, for various reasons, so I was out of practice and didn't really have anything fresh in my mind. I started noting down Staind songs that I enjoy singing as they came and went on my playlist. Then The Sound of Silence popped into my head, and I changed my Spotfy playlist to repeating just that song, and after a practice run where I butchered the lyrics (it has been probably 6 or 8 months since I've really put effort into singing this song) I pulled out Audacity, hit record, and looked up the lyrics. Just doing a rough run between work tasks. And then history was made. I'm going out on tour next week.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Really glad you liked the tuning! Some parts really did sound great. Like I said you do have a good voice but you do lack control, it's quite apparent when you sing low.

sos1 - Moderate
sos2- Heavy
sos3 - None

It did not take that long. About 15 minutes and most of that was spent aligning the song, etc.

I already have presets.

I figured out the key of the song, set the tuner to that key and used my ear.

I then applied my usual vocal chain, adjusted it a bit for your voice, leveled the vocal with the track.

It's not long to do once you've done all the hard work of figuring out what works and what does not.

I have been singing most of my life, I made an album at 17. Then when I bought a house 4 years ago at 24 I started getting more into technique and through years of practice here is where I'm at, now that I'm 28 going on 29.

I could sound even more controlled if I used my falsetto for high notes instead of belting them out, I just don't like the sound of falsetto singing, so I have to belt out these super high notes that can be challenging if you don't have enough air to support them. But yeah I really did sing those 20 songs, but the tuning gives more polish. But I got to say, I like the sound of the camera feed. It's a stereo microphone instead of studio mics that are mono, and it gives a much warmer feel to the whole thing.

I'd be happy to tune something for you here and there if it's something you really like. I don't need the money, but I'm very altruistic so if I can help that's cool!

You basically need to learn your voice, there's no magic to it, it's pure experience. I know that if a high note is coming, I'm not going to try to fit it in without taking another breath. When I do that's when it goes flat. I also lean in when I want to get more vibrato because it compresses my diagram allowing me to utilize my chest voice better.

I'm a dev, I'm extremely detail oriented, so I just learned by experience. But by doing that, those singing lesson videos started making sense to me.

My biggest struggle in singing, is I have a weird stomach problem. I have slow digestion. As a result, when I sing for long periods, acid gets in my throat and makes it really hard to sing. That's usually why I prefer to prerecord, because the stress of nailing a song in 1 take raises my stomach acidity and tenses up my muscles making it much harder to sing properly. When I'm relaxed it's much easier, and when it's prerecorded I'm much more relaxed.

Go to: