Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

If I tried arguing with a flat earther I'd probably give up, doesn't mean the flat earther is right.

To elaborate, I could argue (with citations and other supporting data from academic journals or equivalently solid sources) my viewpoints about women/men and gender differences and all that but you'd still refuse to acknowledge my argument. On the other hand, you'd at best post your anecdotes and conjecture and feelings and some YouTube video from some anti-feminist.

Of course, you don't have access to academic journals like I do, but would you take the effort if you did? Probably not, because you think academia is some feminist-controlled ... thing.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Probably not, because you think academia is some feminist-controlled ... thing.

Basically anything that disagrees with their beliefs is run by George Soros. It's easier to cry victim than to accept something that is contrary to those deeply held beliefs. Women couldn't have wanted jobs. Who would want jobs? This place hasn't changed ;D ;D ;D :'(

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

@bambam
NO, really, I don't have time to waste on you. You endlessly spout opinionated, backward ideology and the sheer amount of energy it takes to refute your garbage is astounding.

You did not win a war of reason, you won a war of attrition. :/

FFS, talk about something else. I've heard enough myths to build a fucking fable out of.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

This is how I've felt recently when returning to this thread to make a reply:

{"name":"1860987.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6e282efb435e63d60526226577d18152.jpg","w":735,"h":992,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6e282efb435e63d60526226577d18152"}1860987.jpg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

In other news, cannabis is now legal in Canada (as of October 17th). Due to strikes from the national postal service delivery has been slowed down, but my first order finally arrived. I have never consumed any form of cannabis before. Because it was illegal. And I don't fuck with that. But now that it's legal I had to do some research, and all of my research indicated that it was much safer than alcohol.

The strain that I ordered is mid-range strength. Negligible CBD, relatively high THC. This was mostly because I don't have the experience or tools to roll my own yet, and I don't even know if I'll end up liking it, so buying pre-rolled joints makes sense, and the options were limited for that. Kind of silly that they wouldn't offer a much more tame experience for the pre-rolls because the experienced smokers will likely roll their own.

The product I got is called "BC Sensi Star". THC ranges from 11 to 18%. CBD ranges from 0 to 1%. The first night I tried it I got zero effects. I didn't know how to inhale, and when I smoke cigars I normally don't inhale, and so I got zero effects at all from smoking the full joint (they're smaller than I expected, but each joint should be approximately 0.5 grams). That was on Thursday night. On Friday night I decided to try again, but I did some research first on how to inhale. I sort of paced myself on Thursday night, but Friday night I had a false sense of confidence. That was bad. I smoked about 2/3 of the joint before I stopped. And apparently I was inhaling this time.

I had just started walking back into the apartment from the balcony to tell my wife that I didn't think it was working again, when suddenly something felt weird. I felt a sensation "circling" around the top of my head. A few seconds later it transformed into all the particles in the universe circling vertically in place. My vision slowly began to blur, pretty much as though my brain was only picking up a piece of the picture at a time. I've been pretty shitfaced from alcohol, but I have never experienced anything like that. Before long the world started rocking back and forth, and I could not focus on anything. I could still walk around reasonably well, but couldn't really see where I was going clearly. Perhaps drunk walking helped to prepare me for that.

I wasn't really enjoying the sensation. The way that it suddenly kicked in and continued to intensify tipped me off pretty much immediately that I probably did too much. And I fucking did. Way too much. It wasn't long before I tried chewing some pepper to reverse the effects. But by then I couldn't feel or taste anything, and I was worried that I'd make myself puke so I didn't want to overdo the pepper. I eventually went to bed to try to lie down, hoping it would pass. And by this point I was full on having a bad trip. My mind was just jumping all over the place. I had little control over what I thought about.

It felt like I was trapped in my body. I was able to consciously think about things, and even talk to my wife, but as soon as I stopped thinking about something my mind would continue to wander in horrible ways. Every sensory input was intensified, and slowed down. Moving my tongue a millimetre in my mouth felt like a huge event, where my mouth was floating and my tongue was floating in the middle of it, and it felt like I was having an out of body experience, witnessing it from my throat.

I can barely remember all the things that I thought about. It felt as though my brain was breaking down all of its though processes into primitive control structures, as if I was suddenly thinking in raw assembly for my brain. But it wasn't in code, in data, but rather in thoughts from my childhood, as if the entire way that my brain works is developed from the ways that I learned to process the world as a small child, and now my brain is mapped that way. Except I felt like everything I thought about was now expressed in terms of that. It felt like a nightmare that I couldn't wake up from. I distinctly remember panicking and feeling like crying, but I couldn't actually do it. I had no control. I felt very meta about the entire experience. I felt like I was witnessing the universe broken up into its raw parts, and at one point started thinking about Half-Life, the game series, and imagined G-Man talking to me as he did in the game.

The trip had to have lasted for 3 or 4 hours, if not 5 or 6. I wasn't hungry. I wasn't tired. I was barely functional and felt out of control. I was wide awake, and dreading it. I was probably super paranoid and anxious, perhaps because it was my first time getting high and I didn't know what to expect, and perhaps because I was just way too damn high. While I was tripping out I started to think that weed was really just a big conspiracy, like maybe it was really an alien substance, and maybe everybody had a horrible time tripping out, but by the time they sobered up they forgot about it and wanted to do it again. So they just encourage other people to do it instead of warning them about how horrible it is. I told myself I never wanted to do it again.

When the THC finally wore off and I woke up in the morning I felt pretty much fine. Unlike a bad night of drinking, I didn't really feel any after affects. I was pretty clear headed, I didn't have a headache or super sore throat or anything like that. If there was any residual affect I'd say I was a bit "foggy" the next day, but I felt perfectly functional.

And ever since I've kind of wanted to try it again. :P So maybe my paranoid trip-induced conspiracy was right after all. But this time I plan to take it very slow. Maybe take one or two puffs and then wait 10 or 20 minutes to see how I feel before taking any more. Effectively see what the least amount of high I can achieve with this strain feels like compared to what I felt like on Friday night. This time I plan to listen to music while I did it to also help to guide my thoughts hopefully to something more fun rather than paranoid. The intent is to try to achieve a peaceful, enjoyable, fun high rather than a paranoid nightmare.

It is said that marijuana can be risky for people that are prone to psychosis. One of my fears is that perhaps I had a bad trip because I'm prone to some kind of mental illness and the marijuana unleashed it. But I guess I can't really know until I try some more... I haven't decided yet when to do it. I have to prepare supper tonight for my sick wife, and then decide if I want to try smoking a bit more weed, or if I'll just have some brews instead.

So that was my first experience getting high on marijuana. It was fucking horrible. It was a completely different experience than being drunk. Drunk I find I am much more under control than high. At least, that high. I've never been so fucked up from alcohol. So definitely beware. It pretty much can't kill you by itself (which is one way it's much safer than alcohol), but you can certainly wish you were dead if you do too much or have a bad trip...

video

Append:

In the time that A.cc was down and I couldn't post I decided to try it tonight. I started with about 4 small puffs. I could barely feel it. So after 20 minutes I did about another 4 or 5 small puffs. I can still barely feel it. Ooooh, another thing I feel one weed is "wavy". Like my whole body feels like it is constantly wiggly. I don't know if I'm just hypersensitive to little shakes and things.. It's weird. I would say that this is a totally different feeling to drunk though. I don't think this is really comparable, and so far I would say that drunk feels better than high. Even though I'm not tripping or paranoid, I just don't seem to feel super happy or anything either. I just feel normal. Sober. With a slight "fluidity" to solid matter in the universe.. And I normally feel some pressure in my brain.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

if we're going to have some argument battles, then please consider to use the following:

Any affirmation made without proof can be refuted without proof.

And let's see how it will go from now on.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

So it's not okay to talk about God, but it's okay to blather on for pages and pages about how girls are biologically inferior

Good point. I'll end my participation in here by agreeing with Edgar. ;)

Anyhow, it is not my intention to attack Edgar. I respect his beliefs and when I am perfect, then I can condemn him (which I wouldn't do even if I was perfect). So I'll apologize for any offence I may have caused, it was definitely unintended.

On different topic, World of Warcraft: Classic comes next summer, looking forward to that. Also, what i didn't expect, Blizzard announced a revamped version of Warcraft 3, with modern graphics etc coming next summer! I'll definitely grab that! Nice to see a RTS come back.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Bam: I can understand people smoking weed for medicinal or pain management effects, but if you're just doing it for recreation I'm not sure why you'd want to do it again after such a bad first experience. Maybe future uses will be better, but such mind altering drugs don't seem to me like they'll always have a predictable effect.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

raynebc said:

I can understand people smoking weed for medicinal or pain management effects, but if you're just doing it for recreation I'm not sure why you'd want to do it again after such a bad first experience. Maybe future uses will be better, but such mind altering drugs don't seem to me like they'll always have a predictable effect.

I already drink alcohol for recreation, and that's considered a lot more harmful by the researchers. I've had plenty of bad experiences drinking alcohol, but with proper dosing in mind it can be very pleasant and even constructive. Over time I learned how to control my dosage to maintain a comfortable buzz all night without getting sick, and usually without a hangover.

Last night I smoked again, as I said. The experience was much better than the first time I got high. For the most part, I was just mildly spaced out, and had super zoomed vision. It was more or less pleasant, but not quite as "let go" as being drunk. But it kept me from wanting to drink 9 beer. Which could be helpful by itself. :) The particular strain that I ordered is also on the strong side. It's pretty high in psychoactive chemicals, and low in medicinal ingredients. Last night I was pretty functional. I started out just listening to music. Then I played a bit of Counter-Strike: Source. And eventually switched to watching YouTube videos and Netflix. Unlike the first night, I was pretty much comfortable and functional and in control.

I just ordered 7 more grams of dried flowers (first time they were rolled for me into joints; this time I'll need to grind and roll them myself). I got two different types. I got a high CBD (the medicinal, non-psychoactive) strain, which is still Indica-based like my last batch, but much more balanced between CBD and THC so it should be much more tame ("Balance" by Solei). The CBD counters the THC so the high should be much less, and the CBD will hopefully also offer some medicinal advantages. The other type I got was a Sativa-based one with slight less THC than than the first batch I got ("Ace Valley Sativa" by Ace Valley). I'm really interested in how the "high" differs between these two types versus the first one that I tried. Apparently each variant can produce a different kind of high for the user (or none at all), and different feelings and benefits (some are anti-nausea, some provide pain relief, relief for headaches, etc.).

Ultimately, I want to keep trying because there's so much evidence that cannabis is a useful, safe, productive, and fun drug. Just because I had one bad experience doesn't mean I need to stick my head in the sand and never touch it again. :) It just means that I need to treat it with the same level of respect that I treat a bottle of scotch with. >:( And learn to harness it.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Careful bambam, Mary Jane's a gateway drug...

ROFLMAO @ Canadian Government weed

You might like it so much you become a regular like me.

And Dizzy Egg, there's a reason they call him that.

@NiteHackr no offense taken, sorry for my reply

@Eric Johnson - please post more. The sheer volume of stupid must needs be countered!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Holy geez. Last time I ordered it took them about a week before they even attempted to ship it. This time they assigned me a tracking number a few hours later. I better get on locating a grinder! The online shop is all out, but apparently there are already two existing local shops that have the tools at better rates. I need to check those out sometime soon.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Let me get this straight. You ordered high grade R33F3R from your government, smoked an entire 7oint for your first time, and you had a bad trip. Well no kidding.

Take it easy on that stuff. Buy yourself a hi77er. Smoke a few puffs every once in a while until you feel something you like or dislike.

It's supposed to be a mild euphoria, but your first time always varies. Regular use may cause r33f3r m@d|\|355. Consult a doctor before use and consider family history of mental illness.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Stardate 96452.66

I think the Edward bot's memory cores are starting to become corrupted. We should order the Edward unit to report back to starbase for a refit.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

ahhaahhaha that's amazing!

[edit]

(Disclaimer: gets loud but not ear-rape)

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It really amazes me how long a strong marijuana high lasts. I smoked maybe 200 or 250 mg of MJ last night, and I was comfortably high for at least 3.5 hours afterward at which time I responsibly chose to go to bed at 12 AM (instead of staying up until 3:30 AM like I would have on beer). I was probably still high for another couple of hours while I slept. It's potent stuff. I don't know if you build a tolerance to it, but I kind of hope not. That 250 mg only costs me about CAD$5.50, whereas the 8 or 9 beer I would have drank instead are closer to CAD$11.33 or CAD$12.75.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Yeah, I think if you were habitually drinking 8 or 9 beers on a typical work night, replacing alcohol with something less harmful is a good idea.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

ahahahhaah

video

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

@Eric Johnson - please post more. The sheer volume of stupid must needs be countered!

Your wish is my command. So I've been playing The Crew lately. It's a fun open-world racing game set in a miniature version of the US (sans Alaska or Hawaii, for obvious reasons). The story is pretty bad, but the racing and exploration sure is fun. Here are some screenshots I've taken:

{"name":"DrVhgRWUUAEtVA8.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f83096c71502c815a047f181bd1ae8a5.jpg","w":2048,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/8\/f83096c71502c815a047f181bd1ae8a5"}DrVhgRWUUAEtVA8.jpg:large
{"name":"DrVhdRFU8AARxQb.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/e\/1ecc565d5e16b40cbb68917d53f4917c.jpg","w":2048,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/e\/1ecc565d5e16b40cbb68917d53f4917c"}DrVhdRFU8AARxQb.jpg:large
{"name":"DrVhfGtU8AANNjO.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07bf4ba195fce210c3c0e69063951746.jpg","w":2048,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/7\/07bf4ba195fce210c3c0e69063951746"}DrVhfGtU8AANNjO.jpg:large
{"name":"DrVh6BmVYAAqghU.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5b45f9c7fcdcf46821889bffa117468f.jpg","w":2048,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5b45f9c7fcdcf46821889bffa117468f"}DrVh6BmVYAAqghU.jpg:large
{"name":"DrVhY3zVYAACELZ.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/f\/6f2eb8bec4654160f1bb07a4a96340fb.jpg","w":2048,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/f\/6f2eb8bec4654160f1bb07a4a96340fb"}DrVhY3zVYAACELZ.jpg:large
{"name":"DrVh41CVYAALIC3.jpg:large","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/f\/df5868094eae082bce2cae12d1cc10b5.jpg","w":2048,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/f\/df5868094eae082bce2cae12d1cc10b5"}DrVh41CVYAALIC3.jpg:large

I've even considered getting one of those steering wheel controllers for added fun, but they're insanely expensive! :o

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Those look fantastic. 4K?

The screenshots are 4K, but normal play is 1080p. I don't have a 4K display, nor a GPU that could adequately pull-off 4K with high settings. 4K has looked sweeter and sweeter recently, but it's just not in the budget right now (or anytime soon).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

How about some 4K Command and Conquer: Red Alert?

{"name":"uffqJMC.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/6\/26d515280c259da91d60b08cb0fe4a07.jpg","w":3840,"h":2160,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/6\/26d515280c259da91d60b08cb0fe4a07"}uffqJMC.jpg

p.s. OpenRA is amazing.

-----sig:

Go to: