Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Cross compiling on linux part x

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cross compiling on linux part x
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

After previous issues I'm giving cross-compilation another go.

First I had trouble cross-compiling with allegro 4, so I switched to a5. Then some issues with directX. Then I almost got it except for a missing freetype dependency, but then I switched to C++11 - I knew that would bite me somewhere, because the progress I made with cross-compilation was gone. It turns out I was using the mingw32 debian package and the gcc version it contains is too old. The mingw-w64 package has a newer version.

So starting again with mingw-w64:

sudo apt-get install mingw-w64
dpkg -l mingw-w64
> mingw-w64 3.1.0-1  
i686-w64-mingw32-gcc -v
> gcc version 4.8.2 (GCC) 

cd ~/prg/alleg/allegro-5.0.10/
mkdir Build/Mingw
cd Build/Mingw
cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=../../cmake/Toolchain-mingw.cmake ../..

But cmake stops with the following error

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:620 (message):
Windows port requires DirectInput (not found).

According to Elias in this thread, the mingw-w64 package comes with the required directx headers, but apparently not?

wget http://alleg.sourceforge.net/files/dx9mgw.zip
## NOTE this link is currently dead, but I had an older copy
unzip -a dx9mgw.zip
sudo cp -r dx9mgw/* /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/

However, that doesn't solve the problem at all, I still get the above DirectInput not found error

So here are my questions:
1. Could somebody have a look at what happened with http://alleg.sourceforge.net/files/dx9mgw.zip please? It now redirects to github.
2. Does mingw-w64 in fact include the required directx headers or not?
3. How do I get DirectInput?

edit: I just tried with allegro 5.1.11 as well and still get the same error.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

1. It was not legal to redistribute, and it's outdated and not needed anymore.
2. Yes it does.
3. In Debian/Ubuntu based distros try:

apt-get install mingw-w64-x86-64-dev

In cmake, you can hardcode the following (cmake sometimes randomly decides to not find stuff):

D3D9_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include
D3D9_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/lib/libd3d9.a
D3DX9_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include
D3DX9_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/lib/libd3dx9_42.a
DINPUT_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include
DINPUT_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/lib/libdinput8.a
DSOUND_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include
DSOUND_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/lib/libdsound.a

All those files come with mingw.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Maybe it doesn't find it because the toolchain file doesn't set the CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH for the '/usr/i686-w64-mingw32' case.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

@Siegelord, you're right! If I do

cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=../../cmake/Toolchain-mingw.cmake -DCMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32 ../..

-- Found DINPUT: /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include  
-- Found D3D9: /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include  
-- Found D3DX9: /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include  
-- Found DSOUND: /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/include 

and it works.

(edit: I added CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX as well because the files got installed to the wrong location)

@Elias, sorry for my ignorance about cmake, but I don't know where to add those definitions. It's moot now but I still would like to know what you meant, so I can figure out cmake next time.

I've been reading up on cmake documentation. The docs explain well enough how to instruct cmake to build various things, but what I'm missing is some documentation that explains what cmake actually does under the hood (so that you can troubleshoot it when it goes wrong)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I only know how to set it in cmake-gui myself. There you first have to find the small "Advanced" checkbox, and then I usually use the search field to navigate. I just grepped CMakeCache.txt for "/usr/i686-w64-mingw32" to get my list.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Well, once you run cmake with those "-D" options they gest "saved" in cmakecache, so there is non need to specify those on another run, just like you set them in cmake-gui.

At least it's how I always do did (albeit through Qtcreator interface).

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The new location for mingw should probably be added to the big chain of IFs in the mingw toolchain file. OR alternatively, we change that big chain of IFs into some kind of more intelligent GLOB looking for mingw and the compiler executable in a more generic way.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Looking at the code of Toolchain-mingw.cmake, it looks like there is a bug not defining CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH just for /usr/i686-w64-mingw32. I'll see if I can make a pull request.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Looking at the code of Toolchain-mingw.cmake, it looks like there is a bug not defining CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH just for /usr/i686-w64-mingw32

I don't know I'd call it a bug. It's a pretty brain-dead detection setup. See if you can't get it to find any mingw cross compiler installed :D

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Not sure what you mean, to me it seems there is just a line missing. I created a pull request

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ah I see. I misread. I thought the compiler was in a different location as any of the ones in the toolchain file. The current setup is a little fragile.

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Probably true, but I'm not yet confident enough with cmake to perform major surgery :)

Go to: