Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Is this server box getting owned?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Is this server box getting owned?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

There's this domain controller for a company, part of a higher up corporate VPN shared between all of their subsidiaries.

A UK company, with subs in USA, UK, and China. In their IT genius, they wanted everyone on the same network (shared with China!), with the same single server for all three zones NAV.

So there are two core servers. One, local in the USA--a domain controller. One in the UK--I think a top domain controller.

Thing is, this local server is running Windows Server 2003 (yay, exploits!). In the Event Log -> Security, there are hundreds (or thousands!) of failed security audits of "someone" trying to get into the box. They're trying various users (some on our network, some wildcard ones like "library" and "mail", and some aren't even our users). They don't have the passwords... or even if they did, those users aren't allowed to login to the server remotely (I think). The logins occur almost always 5 seconds apart and the audit log is full and rotated so I can't tell past the 23rd how long this attack has been running. They try with our domain name, and with a blank domain, every other attempt.

Problem is, the logon attempts have no IP addresses and ports. There was one that did, but it's from a different subnet. It didn't respond to ping, but I'm going to try a port scan tomorrow.

Thing is, how do I find out what's going on? I thought about disabling RDP completely, but a friend mentioned that if someone is running an attack they'll know that we know they're trying to get in and might try changing their attack.

I'm going to try Wireshark, but this server is pretty taxed to the limit (3 GB of RAM, 200 GB HDD almost full), so I might try throwing a hub inbetween the server and use it as a monitor port for an external computer to capture.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Normally I'd bash on windows here, but I kinda feel bad for you, so I won't.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Ahaha... ha ... :(

I looked further into it. It looks like it's the mail server getting attacked, not remote desktop logins. And remote desktops restricted to administrators group. So thinks aren't as bad as I first thought.

However, this is a Windows 2003 box. XP. You can't even hit Windows Key + Left/Right Arrow to move windows around. So there's no telling how many live, unpatched exploits in the wild that can own this thing.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck diagnosing this strange problem. Exchange e-mails don't get delivered to two salesmen with iPhones in the field. It happened around the same time for both of them. But everyone else's iPhones (using the cell network!) are fine. I looked at their mailbox settings and they're identical. The active directory users are identical. They can also access their boxes from their LAPTOPS when they get home/to the hotel.

The only thing I've got left is:

- iOS update to their specific models trashed them,
- Their inboxes are huge because they're sales people and are hitting some quota.
- 3rd party software or virus
- The Level-3 is their primary backhaul carrier for the area they're in and because Level-3 is having a HUGE outage this week maybe mail isn't being properly routed yet.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Now you have me nervously checking my auth.log files on my servers... :-[

EDIT:

Thanks to the paranoia you induced, I did find and fix a webhook issue. Thanks for that! ;D

Unfortunately, it seems my box is getting hammered as well. Not too hard, though. I'm not shocked.

The top few looks like some test requests from when I set the user up.

I got hit by one domain (redacted) that scraped my site, and appears to have scanned me for vulnerable Wordpress adddons.

I'm not sure what the other hacker is supposed to be doing. Trying to install some proxy on my site so they can use my bandwidth?

https://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/609728

Go to: