Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » How can I improve performance when drawing primitives?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
How can I improve performance when drawing primitives?
waratte
Member #14,710
November 2012

Cutting to the chase here, I working on a game where ships are drawn not as bitmaps but as a simple collection of polygons, using al_draw_polygon and al_draw_filled_polygon.

My most complex ship calls al_draw_polygon and al_draw_filled_polygon together 62 times in total.

Now with my game, seeing a thousand ships on the screen (when zoomed out) is a common occurrence. But this slows the game to almost a halt, 62,000 calls to those functions being made every frame.

Even having 100 ships on screen (which is a pretty reasonable amount considering how small they are) slows down the game to a significant extent.

Any advice on how I can improve performance?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Try batching all of the triangles into a single al_draw_prim call.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Yup, what Thomas said. When it comes to optimizing graphics in Allegro 5, it's all about reducing the number of calls to drawing functions. So use al_draw_prim(), (or even better yet, al_draw_vertex_buffer()), and pack as many vertexes as you can into each call.

If your data is structured correctly, a mediocre system should easily be able to handle the demands you describe and much much more. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

waratte
Member #14,710
November 2012

Thanks, however, that seemed to only marginally improved my performance.(2 fps vs 15 fps)

I simply packed all the vertices into a ALLEGRO_VERTEX array, I'm not sure how I should draw my ships through al_draw_prim as polygons rather than triangles.

Though, I will admit I know nothing really about graphics processing.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

A triangle is a polygon ;) If your data is actually > 3 sides per polygon, you need to split the polygon into triangles that make up the polygon.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

waratte
Member #14,710
November 2012

That's true but, I don't want them to look like triangles. :-/

I want all of the n>3 sided polygons to look how they should. Like how they were when I was drawing them through al_draw_polygon.

RPG Hacker
Member #12,492
January 2011

waratte said:

I want all of the n>3 sided polygons to look how they should. Like how they were when I was drawing them through al_draw_polygon.

That shouldn't be a problem here. Pretty much all convex polygons can easily be seperated into multiple triangles by just connecting two of the vertices. When drawing your primitive, this shouldn't make any optical difference at all (unless you render a wireframe).

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It always seems like the newest version of Allegro is 3 steps ahead:

al_triangulate_polygon()

I don't know how they do it. 8-)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

RPG Hacker
Member #12,492
January 2011

Quote:

I don't know how they do it. 8-)

Very simple actually. Just connect any two vertices that are not yet connected to each other and repeat this until all vertices on each polygon are connected, in which case it's a triangle. As I mentioned, this only works for convex polygons, though.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

No no no... I mean how it is that Allegro devs are always 3 steps ahead. It's like they've already worked out what I needed before I even knew the problem existed.

--

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

IIRC al_draw_polygon() uses al_triangulate_polygon() and al_draw_prim() internally.

As for the original question, you may also need al_draw_indexed_prim(). Split up all polygons into a single array of triangles, then draw all the triangles just using a single function call.

waratte
Member #14,710
November 2012

That shouldn't be a problem here. Pretty much all convex polygons can easily be seperated into multiple triangles by just connecting two of the vertices. When drawing your primitive, this shouldn't make any optical difference at all (unless you render a wireframe).

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing, all of my graphics are wireframes. Which is why drawing them as triangles is unfavorable.

Unless, I can somehow still keep that look with this?

RPG Hacker
Member #12,492
January 2011

Depends on how you're drawing the wireframe. Are you just using the wireframe mode of the graphics API? In that case, it will put a wireframe around all triangles. You could, however, write a shader to render the wireframe. In that case it would be up to you which edges would be rendered. Although this does require a certain shader version to make it look pretty (not much of a problem with OpenGL thanks to extensions, only with Direct 3D).

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Maybe you can hack something out of polyline.c of the primitives addon?

If you draw "hairline" wireframes (i. e. thickness -1), which I doubt, you could also use the ALLEGRO_PRIM_LINE_LIST together with al_draw_indexed_prim.

waratte
Member #14,710
November 2012

Depends on how you're drawing the wireframe. Are you just using the wireframe mode of the graphics API? In that case, it will put a wireframe around all triangles. You could, however, write a shader to render the wireframe. In that case it would be up to you which edges would be rendered. Although this does require a certain shader version to make it look pretty (not much of a problem with OpenGL thanks to extensions, only with Direct 3D).

Hmm, any links or resources you could point me to that will show me how I could do that?

Polybios said:

Maybe you can hack something out of polyline.c of the primitives addon?

If you draw "hairline" wireframes (i. e. thickness -1), which I doubt, you could also use the ALLEGRO_PRIM_LINE_LIST together with al_draw_indexed_prim.

Hmm, what is the difference between al_draw_indexed_prim and al_draw_prim?

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Basically al_draw_prim draws the whole array you pass in, in the order you pass it in. This function is mostly useful for simple geometry.

But al_draw_indexed_prim allows you to draw only certain points in the array, in any order. To do this you pass in a second array with the in-order indexes of the points to draw in the vertex array, where indexes may even be repeated, IIRC. For more complicated geometry you'll definitely need this function.

RPG Hacker
Member #12,492
January 2011

waratte said:

Hmm, any links or resources you could point me to that will show me how I could do that?

I have two links for your.

Solid Wireframe by NVIDIA
(Scroll down the list to Solid Wireframe)

This one looks great, but is a bit evolved to get to work, mainly because you need a geometry shader (which Allegro doesn't even support directly). However, it does already distinguish triangle edges from the edges of an n-sided polygon (four-sided in this case), so it should give you an idea of what you need. From what I remember, it does this by asuming a certain order of indices. That way it knows exactly which edges to skip.

Wireframe Shader Using Barycentric Coordinates

This one is a lot simpler and doesn't require a geometry shader, but probably doesn't look as good as the NVIDIA one. This is what I'm using for my game as well. The version here doesn't skip any edges, but it should be easy enough to add that by just doing what I already described above. This shader requires a certain function that is only available in certain shader models, though. For OpenGL this isn't much of a problem since you can just set the version to use in the shader itself. For HLSL it is a problem if you're using Allegro, because Allegro uses shader model 2.0 by default and has this value hardcoded somewhere in the source. You'd need at least pixel shader model 3.0 and for this you'd have to modify the source code of Allegro (this is exactly what I did). The shader itself is so simple that it's easy to tweak, though, and all it needs to work is an additional float3 for each vertex.

If you want to stick to shader model 2.0, you can still use the method above, but the edges of the wireframe will then have varying thickness depending on their distance from the camera. I'm not a fan of this, but maybe it's good enough for what you want to accomplish.

Also just doing a google search for "wireframe shader" should give you a lot more results to try out for yourself.

Go to: