Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » To Windows 10 or not to Windows 10?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
To Windows 10 or not to Windows 10?
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That is the question.

{"name":"609674","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f366375f9e203797935fa858c51b71de.jpg","w":275,"h":354,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f366375f9e203797935fa858c51b71de"}609674

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I'll wait at least a few months before making a move on Windows 10.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

>I'll wait at least a few months before making a move on Windows 10.

Likewise, at least until there is a Win10 version of WindowBlinds.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"609676","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/d\/5d19fa436d0ae9e8af7143aea6e6aec4.jpg","w":310,"h":232,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/d\/5d19fa436d0ae9e8af7143aea6e6aec4"}609676

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I got it. If you're happy with what you have now I haven't seen any compelling reason to update so far. It still has a couple of rough edges (e.g. repainting bugs) that I have come across.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I am still thinking about getting rid of my Windows7 install in favor of Arch Linux... but I occasionally play games which don't run well in Wine, so I'll probably keep it around until Linux versions of games become an established standard (we're getting there... slowly but steadily).

Windows10... will be kind of mandatory for gaming due to a new DirectX version.

articles which make me still not really want it:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-updates/

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2910593/experts-boost-threat-level-call-for-patching-critical-windows-bug-asap.html

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I think I'll wait and see. Pretty happy with Windows 8.1. I have 10 installed in a VM, so I can still play with it when I want to.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I'm holding off on my Windows 7 machine as I read something about nVidia having an issue (though I noticed there was a driver released the same day of Windows 10 release, so... maybe it was fixed but the driver wasn't released when people complained?)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I have two Windows 7 licenses from university days. I tried to update my Windows 7 OS, but after downloading all of the files it says, "Sorry, we aren't able to determine if your computer supports Windows 10." Which is just a clever way of saying "Windows 7 is screwed up because we suck." (Every time it boots up, it tries to apply 100 patches, fails, reverts, and reboots 3 times over 45 minutes. Thanks, Microsoft, for failing at the simple task of updating software.) But why couldn't you do that before downloading gigs of data?

I tried to install Windows 10 with the other license on a NUC, but apparently you cannot use your Windows 7 key to install Windows 10 from a blank slate. Installing Windows 7 first was problematic because the NUC has USB 3, which isn't supported by Windows 7. (It's dumb. The install process can begin; the installer starts; but it decides it can no longer read from itself.)

I managed to modify the USB image with USB 3 drivers. (See, isn't this funny? I can put the USB 3 drivers on the same USB drive that Windows says it cannot load from. And then it works.) Blah blah, after that, I upgraded to Windows 10 using the same key. My sources say that now the key has been updated to a Windows 10 key and I could use it to reinstall on that box if I ever need to.

Ok, that was just the boring stuff.

Windows 10 is good. Feels like a better Windows 7. (I am very critical of Windows 8.x.)

But it definitely feels buggy and drivers haven't caught up yet. I would not upgrade yet unless your machine is broken for some reason.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've got an 8 key I got for $10 I'm going to upgrade...

I was going to upgrade... but after all this crap came out I think I'm just gonna sit with Windows 7 and Linux in a VM.

(Every time it boots up, it tries to apply 100 patches, fails, reverts, and reboots 3 times over 45 minutes. Thanks, Microsoft, for failing at the simple task of updating software.)

I've had that problem too! Piece of !@$!. Also, my Windows directory is over 20 GB on my 100 GB SSD. You're supposed to be able to "clean old drivers" out of the WinSXS directory but that option doesn't exist on mine for some reason and I've made sure the KB is installed (And even went as far as to uninstall and reinstall it.)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I tried, it crashed. I'm going to install ubuntu instead (I temporary put a debian).

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I upgraded, the main thing that jumped out at me was that they removed Metro in favor of pushing the icons into the right side of the start menu. At this time I don't have any complaints about it, but I just started using it.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I don't follow these things particularly closely.

So is this a new operating system, or is this just a new user interface? From a hardware standpoint, is there any benefit over Windows 7? Time is not cheap for me, and having to learn a new UI "just because" isn't my idea of an equitable use of time.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

One thing you can do with the Windows 10 start menu is to remove all the tiles and then resize it to just this:
{"name":"609681","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/2756bc5b5e4c02094194169cbf9734e4.png","w":279,"h":484,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/2756bc5b5e4c02094194169cbf9734e4"}609681
That should keep the Metro haters happy, no? ;D

Or you could remove the default tiles and just use the space for regular application shortcuts instead.

The All apps view is crap, though:
{"name":"609679","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f59bb53bcbcd743e4d2ab801aa598cd4.png","w":281,"h":475,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/5\/f59bb53bcbcd743e4d2ab801aa598cd4"}609679
I don't see a way to make folders, even though there are some there already. And no sorting options or anything :-/

Compare this to what I get when I press the WinKey in 8.1:
{"name":"609678","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/2\/b2d414b1f19626ba9a3ec5fed1049a41.png","w":1680,"h":1050,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/2\/b2d414b1f19626ba9a3ec5fed1049a41"}609678

I hope they are going to add some improvements in this area >:(

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

"All or nothing" Windows updates including drivers and non-security updates is a deal-breaker for me and I am quite sure it would be a deal-breaker where I work. This is the kind of sh** that made me never want to get an XBone.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

torhu said:

Compare this to what I get when I press the WinKey in 8.1: I hope they are going to add some improvements in this area >:(

Yeaup. :/ People complained so much about the start screen that windows tried to be user-oriented without thinking about usefulness. They should just make the start menu much bigger, maybe a simple animation that would fold out from the button so it doesn't change the entire view like Windows 8, disorienting user.

A fullscreen start menu was great, but changing the entire interface context was not. And in true Microsoft fashion, they fixed it in the wrong way. Even Ubuntu does this right!

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

The sad thing is, I'd really like to try Windows 10 for the same reason I wanted Windows 8. A vastly improved kernel.

Windows 8 added much more finely detailed resource scheduling. Even on crappy computers like my work laptop, Windows 8 tries its damnedest to hide the fact your computer sucks and is buffering. You'll actually see windows "jpeg out" (blur because they're a cache copy of the GUI while the app's UI thread takes its time responding to the paint request. This is opposed to the gigantic white screen you get in Windows 7 and earlier.)

Windows 8's task manager actually shows disk usage very clearly and cleanly in the task manager.

Windows 8 boots way faster.

But then again, 99% of the Windows 8 UI is a complete cluster !@#$! mess so it undoes everything great under-the-hood.

So, to re-iterate, I was hoping Windows 10 would be 8 with even less UI bull!@#$ and more kernel improvements. But I'm not touching it until it looks like that's the case. My time is money.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Holy crap, what kind of laptops does your employer give you? Windows 8 has a lot of undesired hard disk usage, it's probably worse than Windows 7 in that regard. You have to disable antivirus, superfetch, defrag, etc. But you should almost never need to boot Windows, just use hibernation. Google it if you can't figure out how to enable it in Windows 8.

By the way, I think Windows 10 is even worse when it comes to hard disk activity. I know that it reenables the realtime antivirus checking after a few hours or something.

Basically MS probably expects to make more money by making Windows slower. They don't have any real competition. Macs cost three times as much. Linux can run on older PCs, but is limited.

APPEND:
I just discovered that in Windows 8.1, switching between Half-Life 2 in fullscreen mode and the desktop is instant. That's new. It's real fullscreen mode, WinKey+T does not show the taskbar on top of the game, it switches to the desktop. This is definitely new :o

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I read it was a vast improvement over Windows 8 (anything would be, in my opinion). The reason companies don't want to upgrade is because they are waiting for the bugs to be worked out. I still have Windows 7, but it is for a laptop that is not functioning. I have a copy of XP Home and a copy of XP Pro somewhere in the house. Worst case scenario, I will go to Fedora.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

It's not really a vast improvement over Windows 8, it's mostly just more of the same. Everyone knows you're not switching to Linux anyway ::)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm already have a foot in Linux. (The VM approach works best for me except for 3-D acceleration, and things that use 3-D are games which are normally Windows only.)

I keep Windows for games and audio software (FL Studio). I also like the Windows 7 UI-specifically and no Linux stack I've seen has even remotely touched the amount of power user commands I use in Windows. That's also why I hate Windows 8. It completely !@#$'d up my power user commands.

But I still use Linux for all hobby dev work because Windows and Visual Studio are a heaping pile of dog !@#$. All of my friends/co-workers all use Visual Studio ... and they've become fairly dumb. They basically use Visual Studio and that's all they can do. They don't know how to debug, they know how to use Visual Studio's debugger. They don't know how to write code, they use Visual Studio's auto-complete.

The software is:
1- "Too good" for somethings, so people forget what's going on under-the-hood
2- "Too good AT ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY" so people learn the way Visual Studio does it, and they never realize there are other ways of doing things. They can't adapt to new solutions. ala They have a power drill, so everything looks like a screw. If they had a hammer and a screwdriver, they could use nails and screws.

I have co-workers freely admit they're scared now. They're scared of the unknown, and don't trust themselves anymore without Visual Studio reassuring them.

But that's for a separate thread I guess, since this is about Windows the OS, not the Microsoft toolchains.

-----sig:

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

They don't know how to debug, they know how to use Visual Studio's debugger. They don't know how to write code, they use Visual Studio's auto-complete.

That's one of the reasons I started using Vim.

For me, it's about knowing. I find it hard to patch a bug unless I know exactly what's causing it.

Quote:

ala They have a power drill, so everything looks like a screw.

o_O

--

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

And I basically bricked a laptop, and now can't do anything with it because it decided to installed a graphic driver or something and all I get is a blank screen, and all ways to get safe mode assumes you can use the damn thing! I need a boot disc.

Anyone know if a boot disc in the wrong CPU type (a 64-bit boot disc on a 32-bit OS) would work?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

"Please describe the problem in more detail" :P

Zeidon
Member #16,039
August 2015

I skipped windows 8 totally. Windows 7 have worked great for me. As previous posters have said, it is probably best to wait a few months until one upgrades to Windows 10.

I am gonna upgrade. Time to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Gonna start making apps/games for Windows 10 after that.

Rexopax Software

1   2 

Go to: