Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [SH15] Chip Farm

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[SH15] Chip Farm
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

My entry for SpeedHack 2015 is done.

Don't expect too much, other than it follows the rules.

You're raising a computer chip.

Sources
Windows Binary

{"name":"11122-2","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/8\/586781ab14a09f6c9dd424ae0623d4c2.png","w":1296,"h":756,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/8\/586781ab14a09f6c9dd424ae0623d4c2"}11122-2 {"name":"11122-1","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/19005f2fcf1e146c2431b9fa5ab37ed0.png","w":1297,"h":756,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/19005f2fcf1e146c2431b9fa5ab37ed0"}11122-1

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Should of? :)

I'll play it (and all the entries) when I've recovered :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I played it, it worked.

The annoying sound is ... annoying ! And I don't seem to be a good farmer.

With more time it could have been some sort of chip'ogoshi ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yea, I kinda ran out of time to really make a decent game out of this. After a night sleep, I'm certain I coded myself into a corner at some point.

And for a bonus, there was a point I used OneDrive to make some notes. Here's a link to see a PDF I exported. You'll note that I planned on having a pool for chip to swim in, but it was replaced with that steel plating thing at some point.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Just says MSVCR120.dll is missing and quits.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

devo_au
Member #15,282
August 2013

Works on mine. Annoying sound, check. Dialog, check and relevant ("Sorry empty dialog" ;D).. Particle effects, check. Had 2 gos, killed the first chip. As for the second chip, well I tried for a few minutes to not kill it but the bad sounds chased me away. Nice effort miq..

it wasn't me, it was other kids

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I quickly found I could follow a specific recipe to win.

Spam-click the data until it's full, and then quickly click charge and drink.

The icons didn't seem to match up correctly, because the water droplet matches the bucket but actually corresponds to the other thing. Speaking of which, what is the other thing? Is there a specific liquid it supposedly contains?

Can't say the game grabbed me I'm afraid, but I did like the MF logo :)

Elias, that DLL is probably part of the Microsoft redistributable stuff. Those of us with VS2013 installed will already have it. Otherwise presumably there's an official download somewhere.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yea, the official Allegro 5.1.11 dlls didn't include a version without requiring people to install that.

MSVC dlls

I wanted to use a glass of water or a water bowl that you would use for pets for the second button, but that pitcher was the best I could find when I went searching. Both the bucket and the pitcher are water.

---
MiquelFire.red

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I created 11 good chips thus beating the game, and tried to take a screenshot but that didn't work out.

For me I have a dual monitor setup. And for some reason your game wouldn't work in fullscreen while I was in extended desktop mode. I may have had something to do with the fullscreen attempting to create a very large screen, or that my monitors are not in alignment (one is offset down slightly on right), creating a setup where parts of the full created display area are not in use. Anyway, I switched out to single monitor mode and it worked fine.

I had a similar experience to Ben (Bruce Perry), where I eventually figured out the strategy. For me I didn't figure it out until about the 4th chip (the first two or three took quite a while to get), and I wasn't sure exactly what I should be going after, other than not the annoying sound. ;D With that in mind, the whole gameplay provided a nice little curve from "not knowing what's going on or to do" to "implementing the ideal strategy".

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

For me I have a dual monitor setup. And for some reason your game wouldn't work in fullscreen while I was in extended desktop mode. I may have had something to do with the fullscreen attempting to create a very large screen, or that my monitors are not in alignment (one is offset down slightly on right), creating a setup where parts of the full created display area are not in use. Anyway, I switched out to single monitor mode and it worked fine.

I might need to look at the code I'm using to create the fullscreen mode for future SH games. There could in fact be a bug in something Allegro is doing as well to cause that. Another time as I can't test it myself as I don't have the desktop space for another monitor. Also, it should only use one monitor anyway.

Quote:

I had a similar experience to Ben (Bruce Perry), where I eventually figured out the strategy. For me I didn't figure it out until about the 4th chip (the first two or three took quite a while to get), and I wasn't sure exactly what I should be going after, other than not the annoying sound. ;D With that in mind, the whole gameplay provided a nice little curve from "not knowing what's going on or to do" to "implementing the ideal strategy".

I think you're the first person to actually praise the game play. You might be the only person I could get any votes based off of gameplay as a result (even if I could vote for my own game :P)

---
MiquelFire.red

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Yea, the official Allegro 5.1.11 dlls didn't include a version without requiring people to install that.

MSVC dlls [www.microsoft.com]

I installed that, but the error remained the same. So I searched for msvcr120.dll and Windows found a copy in C:\Windows\system32. I copied it next to the .exe, now I get a new error (and it still won't run):

ChipFarm.exe - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

[edit:] Ah, got it to work... I had to use the 32-bit redist even though I'm in a 64-bit Windows.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Make sure to get the 32-bit redistributable - I got a selection of three files and had to download and install the right one.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

It runs, but I was unable to play. See screenshot:

{"name":"609589","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/eba36bdf681043712aaf857fd5fa3cb5.png","w":2880,"h":1800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/eba36bdf681043712aaf857fd5fa3cb5"}609589

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Every one with display issues, like Onewing or Mark, go to line 48, and adjust that. You can even change it to be windowed mode if you want. It seems I need to adjust auto fullscreen (not having dual screens at home is a bit of an issue it seems)

If anyone wants me to, I'll make a new binary with it in fullscreen windowed mode.

---
MiquelFire.red

Go to: