Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » So I tried VS2015 RC...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
So I tried VS2015 RC...
l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Truly great intellisense and all that and even the installer improved. But then I actually tried to test the upgraded C++ compiler and managed to make it crash in 2 minutes... It literally tells me to simplify or change my code!
I verified the code by compiling and running it successfully with GCC which also returns the results I expected.

#SelectExpand
1auto integralPow = [](const auto value, const unsigned power) 2{ 3 typedef decltype(value) Value; 4 typedef std::function<Value(Value, Value, const unsigned)> Func; 5 6 Func recPow = [&](Value a, Value v, const unsigned p) 7 { 8 switch (p) 9 { 10 case 0: 11 return a; 12 default: 13 return recPow(a * v, v, p - 1); 14 } 15 }; 16 return recPow(1, value, power); 17};

Admittedly, this scenario isn't common (yet?), so it will likely not be that big of a deal, but I don't really feel that comfortable using a compiler that I already managed to crash with perfectly valid, not too complex code.
I could set up VS to compile using GCC, but then debugging will break and of course there's no free GDB plug-in for VS. VS2015 however adds support for GDB to debug android programs, there's probably a way to make it work with desktop applications as well.

/semi-rant.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

What I want to know is, have they got rid of the infernal 'project folder structure in Visual Studio is entirely distinct from project layout in file system' thing?

How about the fact that whenever you edit project settings, you have to remember to make your changes to all configurations, and if you forget, then the process of reconciling the differences becomes tedious?

It's amazing how Visual Studio manages to be so great in some ways and so abysmal in others :(

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Managing the linker, the include directories, the library directories, and the runtime environment variables should be the most simple, direct, and obvious part of the program. But there are at least 3 ways to access these things and they are tucked away with all the other less comonly used things.

Drives me crazy.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

When I hear about VS 2015, I go 'Wow, I'm still using VS 2008 :o'

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

jmasterx said:

When I hear about VS 2015, I go 'Wow, I'm still using VS 2008

I've heard great things about VS 2008, apparently far better than VS2012 and 2013 but I want that C++14 support :(.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Assuming that the UI in VS 2008 is not a WTF for you for whatever reason (I think all IDEs get to that point if they're out long enough, the reason some here are text editor and makefile style developers), I feel that starting with 2012, VS has been doing some crazy WTF-ness in their UI decisions.

I blame the UI formally known as Metro.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

They slightly improved the UI and got rid of the stupid ALL CAPS menu items.
But Filters (virtual folders) are still a thing in C++ projects. In other languages you can work directly with folders, I don't know why they decided it was a good idea to have these filters and only filters. Maybe because people like to make the folders on the physical filesystem as .\include\$(ProjectName)\ and .\src\.

Go to: