Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Compiling 5.1.10 for Android-arm (Xubuntu 14.04 64bit)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Compiling 5.1.10 for Android-arm (Xubuntu 14.04 64bit)
Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

So in honour of the release of 5.1.10, I decided to take a serious crack at making a guide to compiling Allegro (5.1.10) for Android, on Linux (Xubuntu)...
(Android tested on a MotoG 4.4.2 and Nexus 7 5.1.1)

Anyway I installed a completely clean 14.04 Xubuntu and git'd Allegro, and compiled it for Linux as per the instructions with no problems whatsoever.
(as an initial test just to make sure everything worked before moving onto the
Android build)

Then it came to making the Android build, and here is what I found...
the following dependencies were claimed to be not found on a fresh cmake of the Allegro build
OpenGL, OpenAL, FLAC, DUMB, OGG, Vorbis, Theora, Freetype, PhysFS, PKG_CONFIG

As it found all of the OpenGLES stuff without error, I assumed (rightly or wrongly?) that the OpenGL missing libraries weren't needed for the Android build?

For the missing PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE I pointed the make file to the pkgconfig included with the ndk at
$HOME/android-ndk/prebuilt/linux-x86_64/lib

Compiling OpenAL (using version1.16.0, as 1.15.1 fails to build) as per this site
how-to-build-for-arm.wikispaces.com/openalsoft
It builds fine with no errors, however Allegro's cmake file doesn't find the include directory, but adding $HOME/allegro/build/deps/include/AL seems to work (A similar workaround is need for both the ft2build and freetype2 file directories in the cmake file, as it is installed at $HOME/allegro/build/deps/include/freetype2 but isn't found.)
Allegro compiles fine, but it then crashes if you try any of the demos.

I found the same is also true for flac-1.3.1 despite it cross compiling fine, with
./configure --host=arm-linux-androideabi --prefix=$Home/allegro/build/deps
and Allegro compiles fine, (cmake finds the include/lib), but causes crashes on starting the demos.

However OGG (1.3.2) seems to be fine, compiling exactly the same way as above.

LibVorbis (1.3.5) compiles fine as above, but when the Allegro cmakes file runs it says that it fails on the LibVorbis compile test.
CMakeError.log reports an error
$HOME/allegro/build/deps/lib/libvorbisfile.a: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)
$HOME/allegro/build/deps/lib/libvorb.a: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)
producing an error as an undefined reference to 'ov_info' in the next line

LibTheora (1.1.1) gives me a error trying to cross compile it -
checking host system type... Invalid configuration 'arm-linux-androideabi': system 'androideabi' not recognised

Freetype2 seems to build fine, without error, and builds fine with Allegro-Android, with no reported crashes thus far. I used the instructions as per the
how-to-build-for-arm.wikispaces.com/freetype2
Although, as mentioned above, I had to manually add the freetype2 include directory to the Allegro make file.

I haven't been able to figure out thus far how to cross compile PhysFS or DUMB.

(EDIT) I found this link so will try and cross compile PhysFS later and see if it works,
libphysfs-android-master.zip
(from: github.com/sam101/libphysfs-android)

I don't know whether to feel elated at having achieved something, and despondent at getting so little progress after three days, especially as I managed to get OpenAL, FLAC and Vorbis (but not FreeType2) to compile on an earlier version of Allegro about 18months (don't ask me how, I have forgotten, hence why I wanted also to preserve this "quest" in stone for future adventurers).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

www.justanotherturn.com

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

It took me 4 days to get all the iOS port up and working. I looked into building the Android port and gave up. So I commend you for your efforts, they seem really great. It would be nice to have scripts at least for one OS that get and build the deps for Android.

I hope to eventually have time to take all my iOS build scripts and consolidate them into something that can autogenerate the deps for arm7 / arm64.

I wish I could be more help on the matter of Android, but I myself found it pretty tricky.
Not sure if this can help for PhysFS https://github.com/sam101/libphysfs-android Since Allegro shares a lot of deps with SDL, sometimes you can find build scripts for some of the deps by finding SDL build scripts.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Well I just tried the physFS link we both put up above. And after commenting out the lines 268 and 270 with the lastDirectory variables, in wad.c, (these caused a compile error as it was "set but unused", and setting the compiler flags in the cmake file to -Wno-error didn't help), it compiled without complaint. I also manually added the $HOME/allegro/build/deps to the PREFIX_INSTALL option in the make file.
I ran the Allegro make file, and it found the physFS fine. However when I ran the "sudo make" commanded the build failed at linking liballegro_physfs-debug.so which it says is an incompatable target.

Thanks for your kind words, its nice to know I am not the only one, as sometimes I just think I am really stupid for not being able to figure this out.

www.justanotherturn.com

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I had no trouble compiling Allegro proper (following directions) but I didn't try any of the dependencies. Addressing the Android and iOS situation is something to do (it'll probably be essentially the same thing done for Windows now).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Yeah I didn't have any problem with compiling Allegro-android without dependencies "out of the box", which was nice. :D

Good news, after playing around some more, and deepening my knowledge of cmake/cross compiling I managed to get physFS to cross compile from the link above.

I had to turn off/comment out CD-Rom Support in the CMakeLists.txt file. This is because when I tried to cross compile it would throw an exception saying that there were undefined references to a couple of function calls from mntent.h
I also had to set the C compiler flag as noted above to -Wno-error due to the warning about the lastDirectory variable in wad.c (see above)

Here is the cmake command I used incase it helps anyone else:-
cmake .. -DC_MAKE_SYSTEM_NAME=Linux -DCMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION=1 -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=$HOME/android-toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-gcc -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=$HOME/android-toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi-g++ -DCMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH=$HOME/android-toolchain -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/allegro/build/deps

(Edit) Some more success of a sort, I can get Vorbis to cross-compile and build with Allegro without complaint now, but it crashes the examples. :/

www.justanotherturn.com

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

How unreasonable would it be to make/have an installer?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Success - I can compile and build with the Vorbis dependency.
(What I was doing from was forgetting to use the LDFLAGS=avoid-version on the make and make install when cross compiling.)

Off to try the same with the FLAC and THEORA cross compiles.

(Edit FLAC) Okay I can get Flac to cross-compile (both 1.2 and 1.3) and neither these,
nor the precompiled binaries that SCUMMVM.org offer work with the ALLEGRO build, they failed the Performing Test FLAC_COMPILES - Failed -
with
/home/yodhe/allegro/build/deps/lib/libFLAC.a(fixed.o):fixed.c:function FLAC__fixed_compute_best_predictor: error: undefined reference to 'log'
/home/yodhe/allegro/build/deps/lib/libFLAC.a(fixed.o):fixed.c:function FLAC__fixed_compute_best_predictor: error: undefined reference to 'log'
/home/yodhe/allegro/build/deps/lib/libFLAC.a(lpc.o):lpc.c:function FLAC__lpc_quantize_coefficients: error: undefined reference to 'frexp'
/home/yodhe/allegro/build/deps/lib/libFLAC.a(lpc.o):lpc.c:function FLAC__lpc_quantize_coefficients: error: undefined reference to 'lround'
/home/yodhe/allegro/build/deps/lib/libFLAC.a(lpc.o):lpc.c:function FLAC__lpc_quantize_coefficients: error: undefined reference to 'lround'

(Edit THEORA) No luck with THEORA either, after playing around it flips out during the cross compile make with a
error: .libs/bitpack.o: incompatible target

(Edit OpenAL) The problem with OpenAl is that the linker seems to be ignoring the LDFLAGS=-avoid-version, so it is created libraries with the .so.1 and so.16.0 extensions as well, which then cause an exception from inside the Android Allegro build at runtime, as the libraries should only be .so, with no version number.
I fixed this by edits the CMakeList.txt and setting the variable to STATIC instead of SHARED. I must be getting tired making such silly mistakes, so night all till another time.
Unfortunately OpenAL still crashes as runtime, with the following error..
: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: dlopen failed: cannot locate symbol "LookupUIntMapKey" referenced by "liballegro_audio-debug.so"...

(Edit OGG is borked for Android 5+)
OGG does not work and causes a runtime exception crash it you attempt to use libogg with Android 5+
the error is below:
I/DEBUG ( 122): pid: 12208, tid: 12232, name: trampoline >>> org.liballeg.examples.cosmic_protector <<<
I/DEBUG ( 122): signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -6 (SI_TKILL), fault addr --------
I/DEBUG ( 122): Abort message: 'art/runtime/check_jni.cc:65] JNI DETECTED ERROR IN APPLICATION: native code passing in reference to invalid local reference: 0x100005'
I/DEBUG ( 122): r0 00000000 r1 00002fc8 r2 00000006 r3 00000000
I/DEBUG ( 122): r4 6ae9cdd8 r5 00000006 r6 0000000b r7 0000010c
I/DEBUG ( 122): r8 00000000 r9 400769f8 sl 68de6270 fp 0000058c
I/DEBUG ( 122): ip 00002fc8 sp 6ae9c798 lr 4013ac81 pc 40160c04 cpsr 60070010
I/DEBUG ( 122):
I/DEBUG ( 122): backtrace:
I/DEBUG ( 122): #00 pc 0003cc04 /system/lib/libc.so (tgkill+12)
I/DEBUG ( 122): #01 pc 00016c7d /system/lib/libc.so (pthread_kill+52)
I/DEBUG ( 122): #02 pc 0001789b /system/lib/libc.so (raise+10)
I/DEBUG ( 122): #03 pc 00014029 /system/lib/libc.so
I/DEBUG ( 122): #04 pc 000124f0 /system/lib/libc.so (abort+4)
I/DEBUG ( 122): #05 pc 00218341 /system/lib/libart.so (art::Runtime::Abort()+160)
I/DEBUG ( 122): #06 pc 000a6eeb /system/lib/libart.so (art::LogMessage::~LogMessage()+1322)
I/DEBUG ( 122): #07 pc 000b0bf9 /system/lib/libart.so
I/DEBUG ( 122): #08 pc 000b1151 /system/lib/libart.so (art::JniAbortF(char const*, char const*, ...)+60)
I/DEBUG ( 122): #09 pc 000b3509 /system/lib/libart.so
I/DEBUG ( 122): #10 pc 000b63f1 /system/lib/libart.so
I/DEBUG ( 122): #11 pc 000a65dd /data/app/org.liballeg.examples.cosmic_protector-1/lib/arm/liballegro-debug.so

Now this combined with the lround and log functions missing from FLAC compile crash and I am beginning to suspect due to the changes in how android deals with some libraries as can be seen in this thread
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-ndk/RjO9WmG9pfE

www.justanotherturn.com

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

You could try compiling for an older NDK, perhaps. Sorry I can't be more help with this... a bit busy with other things. Android is definitely a very important platform to get right (I'd say it's second after Windows, actually), it's a shame you're having so much trouble with it.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

I tried an older NDK, (r9c v r10e) and no joy.
Infact now I have gone seemingly backwards, and have lost audio.
I hope I am right in thinking that I shouldn't need any dependency other than opensl for basic audio functions?
So I reinstalled with Xubuntu 15.04 as a fresh install (after updating from 14.04), and apart from a whole skew of cmake warnings about cmake_policy 00026 and not using targets as locations (Cmake 3.0+, and got rid of by adding a cmake_policy 00026 OLD below the other cmake_policy statement in the CMakeLists.txt), whilst it finds Opensl and claims to compile the audio and acodec libraries, it won't build the audio examples and there is no audio on the demos (which previously I had managed to get on a vanilla android build), except for "speed".
I've tried API 21, 19 and 15 with the same results.
This is all from a fresh installs of both 14.04 and 15.04 Xubuntu.
(EDIT - reverting to cmake 2.8.8 makes no difference)

www.justanotherturn.com

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Ok, I have some free time now. So what are you trying now? Currently I just have a plain Allegro compiled and it produces sound (I assume through OpenSL?). I am compiling for API level 19.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

This is my Allegro Android build from a fresh Xubuntu install following the instructions.
As you can see OpenSl is found, but the allegro_audio (and allegro_acodec) library and consequently the audio examples aren't built
This is for API 15, but I get the same regardless with 19, 21, and ndk-r9c and either Xubuntu 14.04/15.04, and either Cmake 2.8 or 3+.
Tested on both 4.4.2 and 5.1 Android OS.

#SelectExpand
1yodhe@Development:~/allegro/build$ cmake .. -DANDROID_NDK_TOOLCHAIN_ROOT=$TC -DWANT_ANDROID=on -DANDROID_TARGET=android-15 # -G"MSYS Makefiles" 2-- Selected Android toolchain: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain 3-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.0 4-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.0 5-- Check for working C compiler: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-gcc 6-- Check for working C compiler: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-gcc -- works 7-- Detecting C compiler ABI info 8-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done 9-- Check for working CXX compiler: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++ 10-- Check for working CXX compiler: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++ -- works 11-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info 12-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done 13-- Could NOT find PkgConfig (missing: PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE) 14-- Check if the system is big endian 15-- Searching 16 bit integer 16-- Looking for sys/types.h 17-- Looking for sys/types.h - found 18-- Looking for stdint.h 19-- Looking for stdint.h - found 20-- Looking for stddef.h 21-- Looking for stddef.h - found 22-- Check size of unsigned short 23-- Check size of unsigned short - done 24-- Using unsigned short 25-- Check if the system is big endian - little endian 26-- Looking for include file dirent.h 27-- Looking for include file dirent.h - found 28-- Looking for include file inttypes.h 29-- Looking for include file inttypes.h - found 30-- Looking for include file linux/input.h 31-- Looking for include file linux/input.h - found 32-- Looking for include file stdbool.h 33-- Looking for include file stdbool.h - found 34-- Looking for include file stdint.h 35-- Looking for include file stdint.h - found 36-- Looking for include file sys/io.h 37-- Looking for include file sys/io.h - not found 38-- Looking for include file sys/stat.h 39-- Looking for include file sys/stat.h - found 40-- Looking for include file sys/time.h 41-- Looking for include file sys/time.h - found 42-- Looking for include file time.h 43-- Looking for include file time.h - found 44-- Looking for include file sys/utsname.h 45-- Looking for include file sys/utsname.h - found 46-- Looking for include file sys/types.h 47-- Looking for include file sys/types.h - found 48-- Looking for include file soundcard.h 49-- Looking for include file soundcard.h - not found 50-- Looking for include file sys/soundcard.h 51-- Looking for include file sys/soundcard.h - not found 52-- Looking for include file machine/soundcard.h 53-- Looking for include file machine/soundcard.h - not found 54-- Looking for include file linux/soundcard.h 55-- Looking for include file linux/soundcard.h - found 56-- Looking for include file libkern/OSAtomic.h 57-- Looking for include file libkern/OSAtomic.h - not found 58-- Looking for include file sys/inotify.h 59-- Looking for include file sys/inotify.h - found 60-- Looking for include file sal.h 61-- Looking for include file sal.h - not found 62-- Looking for getexecname 63-- Looking for getexecname - not found 64-- Looking for mkstemp 65-- Looking for mkstemp - found 66-- Looking for mmap 67-- Looking for mmap - found 68-- Looking for mprotect 69-- Looking for mprotect - found 70-- Looking for sched_yield 71-- Looking for sched_yield - found 72-- Looking for sysconf 73-- Looking for sysconf - found 74-- Looking for fseeko 75-- Looking for fseeko - found 76-- Looking for ftello 77-- Looking for ftello - found 78-- Looking for strerror_r 79-- Looking for strerror_r - found 80-- Looking for strerror_s 81-- Looking for strerror_s - not found 82-- Check size of _Bool 83-- Check size of _Bool - done 84-- Performing Test ALLEGRO_HAVE_PROCFS_ARGCV 85-- Performing Test ALLEGRO_HAVE_PROCFS_ARGCV - Failed 86-- Performing Test ALLEGRO_HAVE_SV_PROCFS_H 87-- Performing Test ALLEGRO_HAVE_SV_PROCFS_H - Failed 88-- Performing Test ALLEGRO_HAVE_VA_COPY 89-- Performing Test ALLEGRO_HAVE_VA_COPY - Success 90-- Could NOT find OpenGL (missing: OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR) 91-- Found OPENGLES: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain/sysroot/usr/include 92-- Found OPENGLES2: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain/sysroot/usr/include 93S3TC locking disabled. You will not be able to load/save pre-compressed textures with OpenGL. 94-- Could NOT find OpenAL (missing: OPENAL_LIBRARY OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR) 95-- Found OPENSL: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain/sysroot/usr/include 96-- Could NOT find FLAC (missing: FLAC_INCLUDE_DIR OGG_LIBRARY FLAC_LIBRARY) 97WARNING: libFLAC not found or compile test failed, disabling support. 98-- Could NOT find DUMB (missing: DUMB_INCLUDE_DIR DUMB_LIBRARY) 99WARNING: libdumb not found or compile test failed, disabling support. <http://dumb.sourceforge.net/> 100-- Could NOT find OGG (missing: OGG_INCLUDE_DIR OGG_LIBRARY) 101WARNING: libvorbis not found or compile test failed, disabling support. 102-- Could NOT find Freetype (missing: FREETYPE_LIBRARY FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS) 103WARNING: FreeType not found, disabling support. 104-- Could NOT find PhysFS (missing: PHYSFS_LIBRARY PHYSFS_INCLUDE_DIR) 105-- Could NOT find PHYSFS (missing: PHYSFS_LIBRARY PHYSFS_INCLUDE_DIR) 106-- Found ZLIB: /home/yodhe/android-toolchain/sysroot/usr/lib/libz.so (found version "1.2.3") 107-- Could NOT find OGG (missing: OGG_INCLUDE_DIR OGG_LIBRARY) 108-- Could NOT find OGG (missing: OGG_INCLUDE_DIR OGG_LIBRARY) 109WARNING: allegro_video wanted but no supported backend found 110-- Not building ex_file - console program 111-- Not building ex_file_slice - console program 112-- Not building ex_memfile - console program 113-- Not building ex_colorhttp://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1454823 114-- Not building ex_convert - console program 115-- Not building ex_depth_mask 116-- Not building ex_haptic2 117-- Not building ex_physfs 118-- Not building ex_video 119-- Not building ex_font_justify 120-- Not building ex_font_multiline 121-- Not building ex_logo 122-- Not building ex_projection 123-- Not building ex_ttf 124-- Not building ex_acodec - console program 125-- Not building ex_acodec_multi - console program 126-- Not building ex_audio_chain 127-- Not building ex_audio_simple - console program 128-- Not building ex_kcm_direct - console program 129-- Not building ex_mixer_chain - console program 130-- Not building ex_stream_file - console program 131-- Not building ex_synth 132-- Not building ex_native_filechooser 133-- Not building ex_menu 134-- Not building tests due to missing library. Have: allegro allegro_main allegro_image allegro_color allegro_font allegro_primitives 135-- Configuring done 136-- Generating done 137-- Build files have been written to: /home/yodhe/allegro/build

And FYI Allegro Linux compiles/builds perfectly and all works including audio.
I tried Allegro 5.1.9 it made no difference.

EDIT - Okay I just spend an hour doing an sdk/ndk/allegro install on my other linux machine to check if it was a hardware configuration error or something as arcane.
IT ISN'T. I am getting exactly the same results on my 32bit Xubuntu 14.04 machine as well.

www.justanotherturn.com

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I think I may know what's wrong (my fault again ;)). I'll get it fixed tonight.. EDIT: No, I got confused.

So I see that at least some audio examples got configured in your log (the audio examples that are not built are those with TTF fonts and console ones)... when you build, do you get ex_audio_props built?

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

sitting in the corner with 'D' hat on

My mistake, it was compiling allegro_audio and allegro_acodec in the vanilla build, it just wasn't listing them alongside the other libraries at the end of the cmake build output, when it says
-- Not building tests due to missing library. Have: allegro allegro_main allegro_image allegro_color allegro_font allegro_primitives

Also it turns out the skater and cosmic protector don't have sound until I compile and build allegro with ogg AND vorbis. That will teach me to NOT have the great idea to turn off the examples to speed up the build times.

Anyway OpenAl still crashes with that LookUpUInt, though I am going to have a go a adding that function to the source to see if it makes a difference, as it seems to be a function in older OpenAl versions.

Thanks, and I'm back to getting the other dependencies to play nice.

EDIT Still getting the same errors with FLAC, though 1.2.1 produces only missing "log" function rather than 1.3.1 with "log and lround" missing.

www.justanotherturn.com

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Ok. So I compiled the dependencies like so:

Ogg-1.3.2:

./configure CC=/home/siege/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi/bin/gcc --host arm-linux-androideabi --prefix=/home/siege/android/local --disable-shared

Vorbis-1.3.5:

./configure CC=/home/siege/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi/bin/gcc --host arm-linux-androideabi --prefix=/home/siege/android/local \
--disable-shared CFLAGS=-I/home/siege/android/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/home/siege/android/local/lib

FLAC-1.3.1:

./configure CC=/home/siege/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi/bin/gcc CXX=/home/siege/android/toolchain/arm-linux-androideabi/bin/g++ --host arm-linux-androideabi \
--prefix=/home/siege/android/local --disable-shared CFLAGS=-I/home/siege/android/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/home/siege/android/local/lib

Allegro's compile test failed, as you said, but I easily fixed it by adding libm as a required library (I've now committed this change). With that, everything worked fine on my device.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

FLAC seems to test compile successfully now, but Allegro won't build after I re-git'd it.

I have to sudo everything now, such as mkdir build, etc, and then it keeps saying android-tool not found when I cmake it, regardless of what export PATH i do.

www.justanotherturn.com

Go to: