Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » it was nice knowing you

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
it was nice knowing you
SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

This morning between midnight and 5am my motorcycle was stolen from the parki ng lot at work. This is on top of my camera gear that was stolen last month. So makes over 4k stolen within 2 months.

And you know why? Because people don't like taxes and we literally have less cops than some third world countries. we actually have no police force between 3-7am because of funding.

Nothing ever goes well for me.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Yes, my bike was insured. But they said they will wait 20 days to let the cops find it (ha). And even then the full value of the bike won't be covered.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Last year, my car was vandalized beyond repair. I'm talking Street-Fighter-bonus-stage levels. The police found nothing, but they tried.

Fuck that car.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I'm surprised that in 2015 there's no tiny GPS device you can stick on a vehicle so that you can track its location with ~20 meter accuracy via your phone or something. It could be powered by the engine so that way after each ride it can signal for up to 24 hours.

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

jmasterx said:

I'm surprised that in 2015 there's no tiny GPS device you can stick on a vehicle so that you can track its location with ~20 meter accuracy via your phone or something. It could be powered by the engine so that way after each ride it can signal for up to 24 hours.

Here's one for you: http://www.pocketfinder.com/gps-locator/gps-vehicle-tracker/.

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Neat! That seems like a great anti-theft insurance to me!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I feel bad for anyone who thinks they can rely on the police. :(

Best thing you can do is move to a better neighborhood. I'll pay more money than market average if it means I'll be in a good neighborhood.

Second best thing you can do is buy a gun*, and a bunch of cameras, and active GPS like they mentioned. You can get active GPS fairly cheap.

*You can post that you agree or disagree, but I won't reply to debate guns in this thread since we all know it'll derail.

Every time I was violently threatened, it happened in such as short time span that calling the cops, let alone waiting for them to show up would take too long. Criminals know this.

Every time I've been robbed, the police have been absolute jerks. A couple months after I got an insane amount of metal hardware placed in my back (my radiologist at my MRI last week was pale in the face after seeing it), I had pain killers.

Some sick !@#!@s saw me going for walks with a walker, scoped my apartment, and broke in during the one hour that I was gone and somehow knew my two dogs were locked out of the room were I keep the medicine. They stole it all. I called the police. The police officer lied in his report and said that the point of ingress (where I said they came in) was covered in cobwebs and couldn't have been used. We used that window every night. He lied in his report and said I was making it all up. When I found out that he lied (he never told me in person), I went in to the police department and confronted him, he said point blank to my face "I'm not filling a report so you can get more pills." with the implication I'm an addict. I just got out of surgury that had an actual whole-number probability of me dying, I could barely walk, I couldn't be out of bed for more than an hour or so a day, I have to drag my body over to the police department to sort it out, and this piece of !@#! is calling me an addict.

When my neighbors all admitted they heard some noise next door (at my appartment) while I was gone, the cop said I probably coached them to say it.

Moreover, because I couldn't get the medicine I needed by law, without a police report, my doctor had to give me the highest they could by law, a much much lower tier of medicine, and I ended up going through severe withdrawal symptoms in addition to increased pain. Right after my surgery.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I feel bad for anyone who thinks they can rely on the police. :(

Uhh... I think I'm able to rely on police when appropriate. I feel bad for people who cannot rely on the police when their services are required.

Your story is awful. Pain killers do carry a stigma with them, but certainly that's no excuse for the officer not to do his job and to transfer that into your health care.

Having stuff stolen sucks. Often it's not recovered, and the police are often not of much use. My parents have had break ins and even captured video evidence that was dismissed in court for poor reasons (invalid timestamp). Nothing was ever recovered.

However, my sister was stalked by a crazy ex boyfriend. Her neighbour called the police and he was arrested. Not all police stories are bad.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Derezo said:

was stalked by a crazy ex boyfriend. Her neighbour called the police and he was arrested.

Generally police do alright when they know who it is; it's when they do not know that it is difficult.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I can't move my employer into a better neighborhood :P. I left a note for my boss explaining what happened and how much money I've lost but he doesn't give a damn and hasn't bothered to address the thefts.

The day after I strapped my handgun to my hip and went for a stroll in the hopes of finding my bike. No luck.

The bike is worth around $3,000 and I just put $1,000 into it a month ago. I'm hoping Progressive takes that into account (they asked about it) and comes to the same conclusion as to its price. If so, I should get back around $2,000 which I can use to get the next bike (a V star 650, bigger brother of what I lost).

I'd like to get my bike back but the alternative might not be too bad either.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Haven't you ever heard any Johnny Cash? Don't take your guns to town Bill. ;)

Guns are only good for one thing, and that's shooting people. If you don't plan to do that, don't take one with you.

Shooting the guy who stole your bike won't help anything. Might make you feel better, at least until you spend the rest of your life rotting in prison for murder.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Ok ok ok guys, no gun debates, k? ;)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This morning between midnight and 5am my motorcycle was stolen from the parki ng lot at work. This is on top of my camera gear that was stolen last month. So makes over 4k stolen within 2 months.

That really sucks. :( I feel you because at my current place of employment I'm right downtown in kind of a crappy neighborhood. My parking lot at work is in a back alley completely out of view from our building. I don't feel comfortable parking my motorcycle there so I don't think I'll be doing much commuting on it this year. I'll probably save it for just leisure after work and on weekends.

Motorcycles are a big target for theft... I think I'm fortunate to live where I do. Even so I want to get a 600 supersport, but I'm worried that it would be a big flashy target for theft. It's pretty much impossible to really protect them. At the very least, you can pay for full coverage and hope the insurance company buys you a new bike (but then your rates will go up until you can't afford insurance anymore).

Nothing ever goes well for me.

I know it feels that way sometimes, but hopefully things aren't so bad. Try to look at the positives in life and strive to make things better. :( Hopefully you can another bike soon because I know that helps a lot with mood. Try to look forward to that! :)

If your work neighborhood is really bad I would agree that you should try to move. Move jobs if you have to. It's easier said than done, but it might be worthwhile if you've lost a significant amount of your income from working there..

jmasterx said:

Most vehicle thieves are pros or semi-pros. They would quickly learn to identify and disable those devices. It would be a good waste of money for some false sense of security. Let alone it would offer the government an easy way to track you, and anybody else that can hack into the network. Like, you know, motorcycle thieves. By all means, do it though.

I saw a video on YouTube shot in the streets of a major city by a journalist group that staged a car thief trying to break into a car on the street. He worked at it for a good 30 minutes without anybody doing or saying anything. A police car even drove by. That was the white guy. When a black guy did the same there were 3 police cars on the scene in less than a minute pinning him against the wall while the team attempted to explain the experiment...

They don't even need to identify and remove tracking devices right away. They can take the vehicle, drive a few blocks away into a quiet alley, and work on the tracking devices there.

Derezo said:

Uhh... I think I'm able to rely on police when appropriate. I feel bad for people who cannot rely on the police when their services are required.

The police are predominantly a government funded gang. When the police break the law, hurt people, or abuse their powers; they back each other up and avoid any repercussions. The government is giving them ever more and more power and less and less oversight as times goes on. It goes against everything we know about law enforcement. Nobody can really rely on the police. For most of us, they're our only option when we need something though. They might occasionally come through for us, but that doesn't mean that we can rely on them. You're better off to do everything in your power to avoid needing them.

Derezo said:

However, my sister was stalked by a crazy ex boyfriend. Her neighbour called the police and he was arrested. Not all police stories are bad.

The police aren't completely useless. They enjoy exercising their power, and in some cases there's time and motivation for them to actually do something helpful. That doesn't mean that they actually fulfill the public need. They also aren't very particular about getting things right. Some of the people they harass, abuse, and arrest are innocent.

Their primary job title is collecting money from the civilian population to help pay the bills, and harassing innocent, unarmed civilians to make themselves feel tough. And getting arrests by any means necessary to feel like they're doing something good and get promoted. There are some good cops, and there are some bad cops, and the problem is that the system doesn't do anything to deal with the bad cops. The good cops are outnumbered and outweighed.

The US legal system is even a for-profit industry... The privately funded prisons get paid well by the government based on occupancy, and they pass the funding upstream to judges, attorneys, and cops to keep the profits up.

Not trying to start any debate, but he should be aware of what he's doing. A thread like this is grounds for intent. Stalking someone with a gun? That's asking for trouble.

You're failing to comprehend that he may be living in a neighborhood where he might interact with thugs that are themselves armed. In some neighborhoods not being armed could make you an easy target.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Not trying to start any debate, but he should be aware of what he's doing. A thread like this is grounds for intent. Stalking someone with a gun? That's asking for trouble.

bamccaig said:

You're failing to comprehend that he may be living in a neighborhood where he might interact with thugs that are themselves armed. In some neighborhoods not being armed could make you an easy target.

Guys? >:( Guyyyyys? >:(

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Dear God, what have I done?! :o ;D

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

{"name":"609439","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/9\/f9d025a2e8651bb62ac75c9146df943d.jpg","w":600,"h":248,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/9\/f9d025a2e8651bb62ac75c9146df943d"}609439
SonShadowCatinator

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

{"name":"500px-BHC2_750.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/41bf35c7a7f8082e11ae9ef7424d6ec2.jpg","w":500,"h":213,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/41bf35c7a7f8082e11ae9ef7424d6ec2"}500px-BHC2_750.jpg

-----sig:

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

hochzeitsgesellschaft-thumbnail.jpg

American wedding.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

{"name":"_75669650_ukraine.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/79acf5f6aa8b53c7996ee336953e8ae5.jpg","w":624,"h":401,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/79acf5f6aa8b53c7996ee336953e8ae5"}_75669650_ukraine.jpg

Ukrainian Wedding!

p.s. What flag is that? O_o

[edit] Ah, Donetsk People's Republic. No wonder it wasn't in a flag lookup database. Looks like pro-Russian, Ukrainian separatists.

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

If your work neighborhood is really bad I would agree that you should try to move. Move jobs if you have to. It's easier said than done, but it might be worthwhile if you've lost a significant amount of your income from working there..

Summer's a good time to find a new place for the fall. I agree that you should move, if your neighborhood is like that. That is, if you can afford to. That's always the kicker.

You should ask your boss about what happened. He's responsible for the safety of his employees and the parking lot is his responsibility to keep secure. Ask him to install video cameras and a surveillance guard if possible.

If there had been a camera on the parking lot, you might well have caught the thief. That's how they usually get caught. Somebody gets em on camera and eventually they find them. Maybe not quick enough to recover your property, but maybe enough to deter future crime.

Quote:

Guys? >:( Guyyyyys? >:(

Haha, me and bams had you going there. ;)

But really, the point is that given SonShadowCat's background in law, he should understand saying something like what he said would only incriminate him if he was to actually encounter the thief and get into an altercation with him.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

But really, the point is that given SonShadowCat's background in law, he should understand saying something like what he said would only incriminate him if he was to actually encounter the thief and get into an altercation with him.

Nothing he said is incriminating unless it's illegal for him to possess a visible gun in public. In several US states it's perfectly legal to walk around with a visible gun (with limitations on the gun's attributes).

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

Nothing he said is incriminating unless it's illegal for him to possess a visible gun in public. In several US states it's perfectly legal to walk around with a visible gun (with limitations on the gun's attributes).

The day after I strapped my handgun to my hip and went for a stroll in the hopes of finding my bike. No luck.

A court of law could easily view that as intent in the case of trouble between them. He went looking for trouble. People usually find it when they do. And if he had gotten into some kind of altercation with the perp and ended up shooting him they could easily use revenge as a motive and charge him with attempted murder or worse.

Vigilante justice ftw? Perhaps not.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A court of law could easily view that as intent in the case of trouble between them. He went looking for trouble. People usually find it when they do. And if he had gotten into some kind of altercation with the perp and ended up shooting him they could easily use revenge as a motive and charge him with attempted murder or worse.

Vigilante justice ftw? Perhaps not.

The strict letter of the law does not see it that way. You're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. The fact that he went looking for his stolen property armed to defend himself from an assault does not prove intent to assault or kill the people that stole it, nor anyone else. Certainly a police officer or district attorney could attempt to twist his words or evidence, but that's always a concern with law.

Law is not perfect. That's why his property is missing right now. There are no guarantees. You could go for an innocent stroll, happen to be nearby to the scene of a crime when the police are investigating, fit their description of what happened, and be arrested, charged, and convicted for committing it! On the other hand, not carrying a gun might have resulted in somebody seeing an easy mark and killing him for his wallet.

???

1   2   3 

Go to: