Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » std::cout << "Hello World!";

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
std::cout << "Hello World!";
Rederick Deathwill
Member #15,951
May 2015

Just passing to say hi with an oldschool cliché, and to present myself.

I'm a "horror soundtrack composer" and keyboardist from Brazil, who loves games and loves to program (I've mostly programmed in Python, but I have some knowledge of C and C++, as well as Java and Javascript, and some great interest on Lisp and Haskell). So far I've created some games in Python and from now on I'll be developing games with Allegro 5 (Yes, I chose it over SDL 2). I always make my own sound effects and compose my own tracks, but I've always had problems with graphics since I'm not a graphics artist (I've been devoting my time to "Pixel Art" recently in order to try to make my games less "squary").

So that's it! I'll leave here my stuff / links.

Games developed:

Esnake (Python with Pygame)
Espace (Python with Pygame)
2D Mini-Shooter (Javascript in Khan Academy)
Frustration Game (Javascript in Khan Academy)
Squarevil (C with SDL 1.2)
Me on Stack Overflow
Me on Github

My work as a composer:

My "Poisoned Wine" bandcamp
My "Witches of Satan" bandcamp
My "Gramophone Within the Haunted House" bandcamp
My Poisoned Wine on Youbube

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Welcome.

As I said in the other thread, I'd recommend you don't get involved in any debates we have here in the off-topic forum. In this forum lurk many nasty dragons. But don't worry, you'll be fine if you stick mostly to the other forums.

I hope you enjoy Allegro. Feel free to ask anything about it. :)

And I could use a composer for my games as well. What is the license of your music?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Don't let the naysayers scare you off. If you want to participate in debates then do it. If you don't then don't. You'll be fine either way.

You seem to have quite a portfolio started. Good for you. :) There are a few other composer/game programmers still kicking around here so you may find productive use for the off-topic board anyway.

Rederick Deathwill
Member #15,951
May 2015

Beoran,

I'm really enjoying it already (More than SDL 2). Everything just sounds a lot more "clear" with Allegro (And there's this community here, which SDL 2 lacks). And the idea of being able to cry desperately for help when an utterly atrocious problem appears, is certainly most captivating.

Well, you can download all of my music for free on Bandcamp if you just buy it for 0. You can use it on your games as you wish, I'd just like some credit somewhere :) (Oh, and tell me about it, of course, since I'd love to see what you did with it in the end).

Bamccaig,

I've noticed that there's no specific area for sound effects or music. It's good to know that there are other composers here as well (And that I'm not the only one who sucks at graphics, by being "blind by music").

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Everything just sounds a lot more "clear" with Allegro (And there's this community here, which SDL 2 lacks).

8-)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Just been checking out your music - man! I can imagine any number of them being uses on the PSN games I play! Awesome work man, really atmospheric and striking, I think if enough people on here take the time to listen to them you may be getting a few requests for usage, especially around speedhack time :P

Great work, impressed 8-)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Rederick Deathwill
Member #15,951
May 2015

Thank you very very much Dizzy Egg! How I wish they were there (PSN or whatever) haha. My country is not exactly the best place in the world for you to be as a composer (Especially my styles), or as a game developer. Financial issues are severe for me right now, and for this very reason I became somewhat obsessed with programming (Not just for that reason, but..). It would be awesome to compose for some large company like Valve or Blizzard, but while I`m in this country, the only thing I can do is to study.

I`d be flattered if those requests came, eventually.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You'll need to start by showing us all up and making us ashamed to not make games. :-[ There are some really talented people here, but only a fraction harness those talents for game development. I haven't checked out your musical work yet, but if it's as good as Dizzy believes then I imagine there are some guys here that can use it. Of course, I wouldn't limit your "market" to here either if you really want your music to be "discovered". Music knows no underlying library. ;)

Rederick Deathwill
Member #15,951
May 2015

It would be great to have an opinion of people here. The first game I'll post here will be very very simple. It's necessary to start very small (And if I get too fancy with the project initially, I may not finish it). Also, there's a lot of math that I have to study to make fancier games. It's great to have somewhere to post them.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Go to: