Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anybody down for speedhack?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Anybody down for speedhack?
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I filled my dates.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Can I submit my game if I use Javascript and SDL?? ;)

Sidenote: While Allegro lost lots of numbers over the last few years, I actually think lots of libraries (SDL!) lost users as the rise of "free game engines" really started to hit. It's not just Unity or Unreal, there are tons of paid, free, and FOSS engines out there. I still don't prefer them, but they're pretty impressive for what they are.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Meh... I started using Allegro after I hit the limits of an engine (GameMaker)... all these engines are full of limits that you'll eventually want to exceed by building your own. Now you might not build it on top of Allegro necessarily (as Allegro is a bit high level in a few places), but I wouldn't say the existence of prefabbed engines spells an end for Allegro-like libraries. Not every game needs a brand new engine either, though... so everything can co-exist as far as I'm concerned.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've narrowed the list to the three most popular weekends.

Everybody should go and mark the single weekend that you prefer now. The one with the most votes by the end of this month wins.

http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/which-weekend

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I skipped the previous vote because I felt my plans were too variable, but I've chosen my favourite this time - wheeeeee! ;D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I can't do the first selection because I found out I'm gonna be in S.C. learning about textile manufacture for work. :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I've picked one, but I should be available for all. Can't wait! 8-)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

June might be tough to pull off, but I want to try. Last year I registered and failed to compete. :(

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Umm, my plans changed in such a way that two of the three weekends are now equally as good as each other, so I've marked both, even though Matthew told us not to. I'm sure he can figure out how to deal with that though (and hopefully it doesn't involve banning me) :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I didn't even notice that one had to pick a single option >.>. What is this, the electoral college?

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

SiegeLord said:

I didn't even notice that one had to pick a single option >.>. What is this, the electoral college?

No, too many options for that.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

We should start running a Democrat vs Republician debate and advertisements for the two most popular of the dates left, and have the their be represented by Ralph Nader.

https://youtu.be/FRr4mkmZg9w?t=33s

[edit] Geez, Allegro's YouTube support is broken. >:(

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The date is June 26.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

^

Schweet. :-*

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Calendar marked.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

w00t! SpeedHack is the ultimate cure for the Allegro Forum Blues! 8-)

media player

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Is using Allegro mandatory for participation?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Do I have to use Allegro?

Absolutely yes! This is a competition based on the Allegro library. While you are free to use add-on and third party libraries, you must make a good faith effort to use Allegro. i.e., Some major part of the game must utilize Allegro, such as the graphics, the sound, or the input. It is recommended, however, to minimize use of redundant third party libraries. If Allegro provides adequate functionality, please use it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

So technically, Allegro could be used for only one "major" thing, like audio. ;)

But why would anyone use anything else?!

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

We should post a news item for this. And update the SpeedHack page. I don't know the details except for June 26 is the start date, so I won't post any news item yet, and I don't know how the SpeedHack website gets updated either...

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I agree with Gideon, because I'm f*****g wasted.

Go to: