Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Installing Allegro on Vista

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Installing Allegro on Vista
DrePlusMinus
Member #15,942
April 2015

Hi. I'm running Vista and using Dev C++. I'm just trying to get a code on Dev to work. It's a Pong program and it's trying to use the Allegro.h library and saying that it's not present. So I downloaded Allegro 4.2 and then I downloaded CMake 3 as I was told by the Allegro directions. But now I don't know what to do. Can anyone please help me?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Here's what I told someone in another thread. This applies to you as well since Dev-C++ uses MinGW under the hood, or at least it used to.

Next, make sure the \mingw\bin directory is on your path, so that gcc and g++ are on your path. You can do this through environment variables in the system settings control panel or set it at runtime from a command line by typing in :

set path=c:\mingw\bin;%PATH%

After that install the latest CMake and make sure to check the option to add cmake to your path so you can run it from the command line as easily as mingw.

Then the general steps are to :

cd allegro_source_directory
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" -DSHARED=[On | Off] -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=[Release | RelWithDebInfo | Debug | Profiling] -DWANT_MONOLITH=[On | Off] ..
mingw32-make
mingw32-make install

Edit
I don't know if the WANT_MONOLITH option works with Allegro 4.2's build system. I think that might have been introduced in 4.4.2.

Go to: