Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Year of the Windows 10 Desktop

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Year of the Windows 10 Desktop
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Anyone try out 10 yet? Is it what Windows 7 did for Vista, or yet another iteration of Design-By-Committee?

I'm downloading the image as we speak to try out in a VM first--if it's fast enough I might convert my crappy Windows 8 work laptop over.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I installed the last update in virtualbox, and it seems to be ok. I didn't use it very much at all, but i can confirm that the horrible start screen is now optional \o/

That means its even more Design-By-Committee since everyone and their dog had their say on that little detail ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Derezo posted about it on FB and I replied there; basically I put it on a vm and haven't been impressed. I really want MS to turn around as a company and make something that Just Works(tm), but it's kinda gettin' Frankenstein up in there.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I keep dreaming Open Source does something that just works..

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

How so?

Don't get me wrong, I hate Firefox and the bloated junk it represents (isn't that why they canned Thunderbird?). But Linux seems pretty great.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm starting to like Linux, too. Now that most modern software runs in the browser, Linux is more practical. I still can't fully switch because I need Photoshop and Office. Otherwise I could probably do it.

I surprisingly like the desktop environments that I've tried, they're very simple and straight forward.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Photoshop runs on Google ChromeOS. :o

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I can't get my 4 screen config work. One card is R9 70, the other is GTS450. The R9 would support everything if I had a DD adapter that worked.
Append:
Oh, and even what worked did glitch.. Drivers for AMD device are quite fcked.
After installing some proprietary driver things just stopped working literally.

I tried: Fedora, Ubuntu. & probably anotehr distro which I don't remember.. But anyways. avatar of Linux simplicity(Ubuntu) refused to get installed, & bleeding edge fedora refused to work with drivers, or support 2x vid cards.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Using cards from two different chipsets will end in heart ache.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

heart ache

Hey, hey! I'm 2 young 4that.
And the point is, it works in windows out of the box, without any drivers. Well, I still installed both drivers.

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

BS. It's finally the year of the Linux Desktop! Who uses Windows anymore?

[edit -- I sounded too pretentious]

I've tried it. Good that they brought the start menu back, but I prefer Classic Shell. I guess I don't know of any big landmark features that would attract me to it from Windows 7. Tomasu says that hyperthreading support is supposed to be better in 8, so maybe I'll upgrade my laptop at some point. Other than that, there's Spartan which I will only be interested in if it's lighter and faster than Chrome and Firefox and I can get access to a decent ad blocking plugin.

Are there any other really big features that I should be interested in? For the most part it just seems like more of the same. I also really don't appreciate the themes available by default with the W10TP.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

type568 said:

I tried: Fedora, Ubuntu. & probably anotehr distro which I don't remember.. But anyways. avatar of Linux simplicity(Ubuntu) refused to get installed, & bleeding edge fedora refused to work with drivers, or support 2x vid cards.

Sadly, the proprietary drivers do not play nicely with each other. they all install their own libraries for GL that overwrite the existing ones, so if your DE uses GL, well, you're pooched.

Multi-vendor multi-gpu is probably not going to work very well in linux for the time being. Maybe with the opensource drivers it'll work ok (but probably not great).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

It worked fine during install, and I think during boot as well.. Or some combination of these. Worked in appropriate resolution, all screens. Then I guess XORG ruins it.

As of GL.. Well, the 3d is only done by one card: R9. The other just hosts a display.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

We have windows 10 preview on two machines at school. It looks a lot like Windows. It runs the same programs that Windows ran, too! :o It even has a start menu like Windows had!

If I didn't know better I'd say Windows 10 is another version of Windows. I probably would have been more impressed if it wasn't Windows, but I guess you can't be picky about these things.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Funny sidenote, a compatibility testing company ran tests on Windows 8.1 vs 8. They checked the files and said other than some file reorganizations, it was literally the same OS. Almost every file had the same hash.

furinkan said:

If I didn't know better I'd say Windows 10 is another version of Windows. I probably would have been more impressed if it wasn't Windows, but I guess you can't be picky about these things.

I don't want different. I want incremental upgrade with a focus on stability, performance, and user interface efficiency (button layout and key commands, not metro crap). My job is getting things done, not impressing the marketing team.

-----sig:

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

When they add POSIX support to their feature list, then I'll consider using it. They'll also need a default terminal shell that doesn't blow, need to use about 50% of the resources, and for shit sake support more than 3 filesystems!

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Solitaire is back!

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Don't get me wrong, I hate Firefox and the bloated junk it represents (isn't that why they canned Thunderbird?). But Linux seems pretty great.

Are you sure about Thunderbird? I have it running on my notebook.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I recall when it came out, it was to replace something rather bloated. Perhaps it wasn't Thunderbird, and I was confusing that with Mozilla Suite.

Hyatt, Ross, Hewitt and Chanial[8] developed their browser to combat the software bloat of the Mozilla Suite (codenamed, internally referred to, and continued by the community as SeaMonkey), which integrated features such as IRC, mail and news, and WYSIWYG HTML editing into one internet suite.

-----sig:

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I often forget how many choices you have for browsers. Open source is the shizznitt! 8-)

I will concede that Cortana is, also, the shizznitt, however I would never use such a thing on a desktop. My typing is far faster than activating her, talking to her, and waiting for the result. I could have just done the actions myself.

I'm using a terminal about 50-60% of my work day, and it is only increasing. I don't need a new Windows shell around their crappy OS; I need a good command shell that is compliant with the tools I use.

Macs are a little more acceptable, but still foreign to me. :-/

For ideological, preferential, and technical reasons: I'm still a Linux deviant. :P

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I may be wrong. I was referring to Thunderbird as an email client. The other replies refer to it as a web browser.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Go to: