Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Help me recover my partition!

Credits go to bamccaig, Sevalecan, and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Help me recover my partition!
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Hardware setup: one SSD disk (C: - formatted as NTFS) and one big (2 TB) hard disk partitioned in two same sized NTFS parts(D: and E:)
System: Windows 7 64bit, Enterprise Edition.

Long story short: while playing a game the computer freezed. After reboot I no longer see the partition E: (which is where the game was installed).

I opened Disk Management and the partition is not there either.
I guess the MBR got corrupted but I'm not sure on how to proceed.

Any ideas? :)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I would probably download a Linux Live CD of your choice and start there. You could try booting a Windows installation disk and look for a repair option, but I don't know if I'd trust Windows. Let Linux have a look at your MBR... If it's a newer machine I'm not sure if it will have a normal MBR. Don't newer machines have something else to support larger drives? Apparently a GUID Partition Table. I'm not sure how to manage one, but I'm sure a Linux Live CD can... Of course, it might depend on you knowing exactly where each partition begins and ends, which Windows probably chose for you automatically...

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

If it does use the GUID partition table (GPT) There should be an MBR backup. You'll want to check with parted or gparted in Linux and see if it detects any GPT information. Otherwise, your remaining two options are probably these: see if you can scrounge up some software that will attempt to algorithmically reconstruct your MBR based on a search for filesystem information, or use data recovery software such as GetDataBack which will allow you to access some files amidst corruption of the filesystem and MBR.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

testdisk ftw. I used it semi recently to recover a partion table I accidentally DDed over. It was able to detect it by scanning for filesystem metadata, and adjusting... It often gives you several options...

If it was ONE partition on a single disk, you could probably just re-create the partition and things would just come back. But that might be risky if the partition offset was different.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Yesterday night I tried to proceed as suggested but nothing useful came out. Discouraged, I went to sleep.

While in bed it came to me that maybe I was remembering wrong; maybe I actually had 3 distinct hard drives. This morning I opened the case and I found out that was the case :P (dumb me!).

As a last ditch effort i simply plugged more firmly the SATA connectors, I started the system and, VOILA', Windows was seeing the missing disk!

Two lessons:
1) don't trust your memory :P
2) Sometimes it's enough to make sure the plugs are well set

Thanks!

UNHAPPY UPDATE:
The disk once again disappeared :-X???
Do you think it's a connection problem or is the disk dying?

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If you didn't already then you could try to unplug and replug the SATA cable. If it worked once then it might work again. Merely pushing it in harder might not have really been enough to reseat it. If it came out once it will likely come out again until the problem gets fixed... Actually unplugging it and replugging it might help to get a better connection. I don't think it's possible to predict when a disk is dying, though I'd say a better indication would be that the disk is visible to the OS, but failing on reads or writes. Completely disappearing sounds more like just a connection issue.

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

You could also try a new SATA cable... Or IDE if it's IDE. Especially if it's IDE. Er.. You already said it's SATA. Herp.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ugh, I tend to overthink things. One of us should have suggested that. Or at least asked if the OS was seeing the drive at all.

*sigh*

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't think that would make sense for a missing partition. If he had have suggested an entire drive disappeared I'm sure you or somebody would have thought of the cables. We were under the impression that only a single partition from a drive was missing, but that other partitions on the drive were working fine.

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

Bambams is right. We took his word for it that it was a missing partition on a drive. Nothing wrong with that. If we had physical access to the machine(and thus, clearer context), we'd likely reach the cable conclusion eventually.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

We did take his word, I think one of us probably should have at least asked if the drive was showing up at all. Just because it's one potential problem.

bamccaig said:

We were under the impression that only a single partition from a drive was missing, but that other partitions on the drive were working fine.

I was not, I assumed that the entire mbr was gone. It's only like one (old size) sector. 512 bytes is not hard to corrupt. Especially with newer drives with SMR and 4k sectors :o

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

When he first made the post, he assumed that he only had two drives total in his system. It wasn't until he checked the actual hardware that he noticed it was three drives.

I know that on my system, I have one drive with two partitions on it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Yep, my bad, sorry for the confusion guys!

I completely unplugged and replugged the HD and now it's showing again, i'm not too confident though.
I'll ran a scandisk on it and let you know how it goes.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That's not something to apologize for. In tech., those kinds of things are what most often leads to a solution. You begin trying to explain something that doesn't make sense, and then an idea pops into your mind: something doesn't fit! And then you realize, you've had a bad assumption all along and the fix is actually simple. Often the person asking is the person that comes up with the solution because they have the most knowledge of the actual problem context, but they might not have been able to reach that conclusion if not for walking others, and therefore themselves, through the problem.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Joke aside, the first thing I always do when being able to restart a possibly failing disk is a full copy. (with dd)

And I would ran the scandisk after the copy. I do not want to loose or ruin that hard drive precious last words.

Good luck, et la prochaine fois fais des sauvegardes bordel de merde !

;o)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Gull is correct here. If you can, and care a lot about the data make a copy of it before letting the OS mount it, or running a chkdsk or scandisk. All three things will modify the filesystem, and potentially make any corruption worse.

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

@bamccaig: what you say is true, in many different fields! :)

@Gull and Thomas: thanks for the suggestion! I forgot to mention that i use this disk only to install programs, so it contains no data i would be afraid to lose!
My current setup is: SSD for OS (C), 1TB HD for data (D), 1TB HD for programs(E).
D I backup once a month, just to be sure!

Anyway it seems to be holding up, I'm still not very confident :P

Good luck, et la prochaine fois fais des sauvegardes bordel de merde !

Ahahaha, I do backup the important data! ;)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

FMC: That's a good then. J'aime mieux ça ;-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Go to: