Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Allegro 5 on Mac - Where to Start?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5 on Mac - Where to Start?
Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I recently purchased a Macbook so I can develop on Windows and Mac.

It has 10.7.5 installed. The Xcode version on the disc is version 3.2 :/

Do I need a newer version of Xcode for Allegro 5?

I want to link Allegro statically. I liked Code::Blocks as an IDE in Windows (It'd be nice to be able to use the same project file for both platforms if possible)

Not sure what else is relevant to say besides that I am a noob at your mercy.

I see these guides though I'm not sure which would be best or if I need to update Xcode (I can't get the newest version on my system and I'm not sure how to get older versions)

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I'm not developing on OS X normally, just wanted to build and test my project. There should be other people around who know more about this.

But: I've been using Allegro 5.0 with XCode 3.2 with no problems. Its gcc version is quite outdated, though, so you should upgrade to a more recent version of XCode if you can. I'm not even sure XCode 3.2 will work on OS X Lion.
I haven't used XCode as an IDE, I'm building my project with CMake.So you should be able to use Code::Blocks as well.

I've compiled Allegro myself. It was straightforward after I've installed the dependencies via MacPorts. As of today, Allegro 5 packages seem to be available for MacPorts, Homebrew and Fink. Don't know about pros and cons of these. Install one of these systems, install the Allegro 5 package and start coding. :)

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Thanks for the help. That MacPorts looks really convenient. Any idea how to install Xcode versions newer than 3.2? The program itself doesn't appear to have an update function and when I look in the Apple Store it says the newest version isn't supported on my OS version.

[Website] [Youtube]

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Homebrew has the 5.0.x packages for Allegro, and all of its dependencies if you want to compile 5.1.x.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I had to upgrade OS X to 10.9 to get the newest XCode version (err, at least some time ago). But that upgrade broke quite a few small things here and there I wouldn't have imagined. >:(

For advice about how to install the latest compatible version for Lion see this question on stackexchange. I can't verify it right now.

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Thanks for the link. Shame it can't just update upon what I already installed from the disc. Download on my connection estimates 40 hours.

Seriously, the download has already failed twice :/

[Website] [Youtube]

Go to: