Member #5,313
December 2004

I'll see your Friday, and raise you:

video

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Derezo said:

Seriously though, the controls are in place for you to manage your own experience here.

Basically what you are saying here is It's my fault I'm bothered by other people's insults and trolls, and that if i don't like it i should leave? I don't want to leave. But it seems that the majority here really don't give a shit, and are happy to put up with anything so long as they aren't attacked directly.

I've become sick of that attitude. "It doesn't affect me, and we shouldn't and can't do anything about it, so lets just pretend it doesn't exist, and blame the people it does affect".

Here's what I have to say to that: *&^$ all'yall.

Quote:

Other times he really does say some insightful things, and I can respect that he really is quite intelligent.

The good does not outweigh the bad.

Quote:

I'd admit that some are pretty bad. He openly attacks someone's character in the first post of this thread. Tsk tsk.

People should be admonished for their bad behavior. If they continue, there should be more serious consequences. If you do nothing, it continues, and often gets worse.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, I'm caring less and less as we speak. About the forums here in general.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Basically what you are saying here is It's my fault I'm bothered by other people's insults and trolls, and that if i don't like it i should leave?

No, I was following with the thread and referring to ML's suggestion to update your custom CSS file so that people who you find offensive or insulting will no longer appear on the forum. How did you come to the conclusion that I said you should leave?

Thomas said:

But it seems that the majority here ... are happy to put up with anything so long as they aren't attacked directly.

I'm even ok with being attacked directly :-/
Come at me, bro!!!!!!11111`~

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Derezo said:

How did you come to the conclusion that I said you should leave?

Just hiding all of one individual's posts solves no problems what so ever.

Well, here's my solution, I'll be disabling the OT forum on my recent threads list.

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Just hiding all of one individual's posts solves no problems what so ever.

I was under the impression that the problem was you didn't want to see those kinds of posts here. If it's more than one individual, you can add multiple users to the custom CSS.

I'm not sure what the problem is if making it disappear doesn't even solve it... but if you don't like the OT forum at all then your solution of hiding the entire thing fits just as well.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Basically what you are saying here is It's my fault I'm bothered by other people's insults and trolls

You can't control other people, mein Führer. The only one that you can control is yourself, and your reactions to other people. To them you can only accept, and choose your company (well, I guess sometimes you can control someone else, but you can't really always do that and I for one didn't like that).

That's the responsible thing, and what you get taught to be professional. Like when a guy is judgemental and moralize, he might get "kudos" from the likeminded, but he also crosses everyone else. But I suspect that the only people that are happy to see that are people who want to see that but don't want to do it themselves because they don't want to be dirty want you to get dirty for them.

And then I suspect that they say things to encourage the gullible to do that for them. So I suspect that doing that for them would make me look like I'm being their dog and a subservient place in the societal hierarchy.

But I am an individual and my own boss.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

If you have a beautiful house and you have a designated room where people can do whatever they want, including piss and shit in that room, even if specific individuals avoid that room, there will still be a stench of piss and shit throughout the house. Moreover, new people that will come visit your house will eventually walk into that room, and they might leave and never come back to your otherwise beautiful house. What's more, those people will go to other people's houses and spread the word that your house smells like piss and shit; completely omitting the fact that you have an otherwise beautiful home and a nice community of people that visit.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

You people are just silly. Tomasu can turn off posts from users he deems offensive, and that solves the problem for him. Tomasu isn't talking about himself, he is talking about the community.

Growing and maintaining a community is not so simple as telling people to ignore things they don't like. Even if you give people the tools to make doing so trivial, the community will suffer under such simple constraints.

I would think this obvious, but the goal here isn't to hide the offensive from overly sensitive eyes. The goal is to push and prod all members of the community to higher standards for their own behavior. If a member acts in a way below the standards of the community sometimes, by choosing to simply ignore the problem the standards of the community as a whole are lowered.

It doesn't matter if one does truly great things most of the time if the rest of the time they're being an ass. It's the job of the community to push reprimand that individual and see they change their ways. If they won't, then they should be cast out.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

While you guys were busy fighting, I just spent the best part of two weeks in Germany with my other half :-*

bambams, do you think your girlfriend would enjoy this community? :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

bambams, do you think your girlfriend would enjoy this community? :)

I don't think mine would. She doesn't like computers, and she doesn't like spending time online. Unless you count scrolling through Facebook posts on her phone and tapping on "like" for every one without even reading it. ::)

Do you think yours would? ??? :P

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

No :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I'm going to Germany this fall. :o

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

What for? :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Germany is a madhouse these days. If there is no strike you can even travel inside germany. There you see giant areas nobody wants to live anymore, especially in former GDR. The big towns are overpopulated with East Europeans, Africans and Asians, so you will find a bed only for fantasy prices. And Prussias Glory is nothing but history.

video

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Well... er... not quite.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

And then, Matthew arrived, and ...

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: