Member #10,701
February 2009

God made man but sam colt made them equal. ;D

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

bamccaig said:

In all forms of life, the biggest or best armed guy wins

FTFY ;) We can think of 'biggest or best armed' as 'least sensitive' when it comes to the Internet. You're pretty big and well armed :)

You did find a flaw in my generalisation, because no, I don't think it's good for the strongest (in whichever sense) to have an automatic ability to bully others (either deliberately or accidentally). I merely thought your in-person demeanour as described by Sam could be an interesting thought experiment for trying to find ways for us all to get along better here. For best results, you should assume Aaron, Trent and NiteHackr are good people who you like in person, and then don't forget to imagine that they're there facing you and listening to what you're typing (which you're actually saying).

One thing I must pick you up on in general: don't assume everyone wants to debate. Very often they don't. Take religion for example: most people treat it as personal to them, and select the bits that help them the most, but they will also happily participate in scientific conquest or other things that fly in its face. For example I've encountered people using the word 'god' simply to mean a feeling of community or a feeling that things are working out. It totally confused me of course. My point is just that it's not a topic for debate.

This thread was never about religion though. The main problem in this thread was that you attacked Aaron at a time when he was already (rightly or wrongly) feeling attacked. It seems to me that you may have assumed he should behave like a professional (or compulsive?) debater like you, which means everything is up for challenge and it is a punishable offence just to withdraw. (Reality: people need to withdraw sometimes and it's always a good safeguard against further damage, so disallowing it is Very Bad.) This might be a point of view you hadn't considered, but hopefully you can in the future. :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I merely thought your in-person demeanour as described by Sam could be an interesting thought experiment for trying to find ways for us all to get along better here. For best results, you should assume Aaron, Trent and NiteHackr are good people who you like in person, and then don't forget to imagine that they're there facing you and listening to what you're typing (which you're actually saying).

One thing I must pick you up on in general: don't assume everyone wants to debate. Very often they don't. Take religion for example: most people treat it as personal to them, and select the bits that help them the most, but they will also happily participate in scientific conquest or other things that fly in its face. For example I've encountered people using the word 'god' simply to mean a feeling of community or a feeling that things are working out. It totally confused me of course. My point is just that it's not a topic for debate.

I do assume that Aaron is a good person that I like. As I said, I try not to hold grudges. Several people regularly smear my image here and I don't hold a grudge. Them not so much. They can't wait to beat me down. That's their issue, not mine. Most people jump in. Group think. A few brave souls stand up for me. Rational thinkers. As for Trent and NiteHackr, I gave them the same benefit of the doubt and tried to work with them to start.

Trent simply refused to get along with me. He used to troll me every time I posted and everybody would accuse me of doing something wrong. Simply because he's the amazing Trent Gamblin. I even "bought" a physical copy of his game, Monster 2, a while back thinking I was supporting him. He was a complete dick about it and said he was doing ME a favor for it. Guess what, he's an asshole, and that's not my fault. I already put him to rest with my rap and as far as I'm concerned it's put to bed. ;) I don't care for him simply because of how he treats me, and how other people treat me because of him, but I still don't hold a grudge. I try to respect him when I do cross paths, but he usually doesn't hesitate to instantly attack me and when that happens I reciprocate.

NiteHackr and I got along just fine outside of religious debates, but he could not stay out of them (despite boasting that he would every time). He could not handle somebody challenging his beliefs and he left because of that. He was unable to ignore/tolerate somebody questioning his beliefs. That's his choice. It has nothing to do with me.

Sam is casting me in too good of a light. I absolutely am still blunt in person. I still talk about all of the same things. I respect other people's beliefs though, both in person, and online. However, in all cases, if people push their beliefs on me I will challenge them. It doesn't matter if it's religious, social, political, etc. I usually don't bring the subject up unless people are actually pushing their ideas on others.

For example, my girlfriend's great aunt is a Catholic nun. She asked us about our beliefs and we told her I'm an atheist, but I kept my mouth shut when she gave us a speech about religion. The reason is simple. She's in her late 70s and has dedicated her life to her beliefs. There's nothing to gain for her to be enlightened at this point in her life. It gives her a bit a peace. I typically don't engage elders on the topic because again there's nothing to gain. They are set in their ways, and it would be disrespectful for me to challenge them.

However, if anybody specifically targets me and goes after me about my beliefs then they open that can of worms and I let them have it. I was waiting for my girlfriend's great aunt to say something that would trigger me, but she was very polite about it. She didn't force her beliefs on me. That is the most important part. For the most part, I keep it to myself in those situations. I don't care if she's a 78 year old nun. If she had pushed her beliefs on me I would have engaged the debate and swept the floor with her! :P

Posting religious ideas unrelated to a community or topic in a public forum is inappropriate. "I'll pray for you!" Unless you specifically know that person holds the same beliefs as you do that is impolite. In public that might still be provoking a response from others that don't share your beliefs. It shows a lack of respect for others' beliefs unless they happen to share the same beliefs as you. That opens yourself up for a debate. It's best to keep that stuff to yourself. Go ahead and pray for me. No need to announce it! Use your telepathy. That way God doesn't need to read the thread! Telling me you're praying for me isn't going to affect the outcome. The only possible benefit is the person you're telling giving you praise for it (i.e., it's selfish to say something). I will never give you praise for praying for me. I don't care. Keep it to yourself. If you just mean to say that you wish me well then say that.

The same goes for starting threads about your religion. You're effectively starting a discussion about religion by doing so. I don't at all mind you posting about it (Bring. It. On.), but expect to have a discussion about it if you do. If you don't want to have that there are specific forums on the Internet full of like-minded people to discuss that without debating it.

This thread was never about religion though. The main problem in this thread was that you attacked Aaron at a time when he was already (rightly or wrongly) feeling attacked. It seems to me that you may have assumed he should behave like a professional (or compulsive?) debater like you, which means everything is up for challenge and it is a punishable offence just to withdraw. (Reality: people need to withdraw sometimes and it's always a good safeguard against further damage, so disallowing it is Very Bad.) This might be a point of view you hadn't considered, but hopefully you can in the future. :)

I never really meant to target Aaron with my rant, but I assumed that his post was the catalyst for the OP and the OP is an over-reaction, just as I felt that Aaron's post was. And frankly I'm sick of people posting these kinds of threads. It's not really constructive to have a thread like this. These kinds of threads look really bad for a community and it blows things way out of proportion. For the most part, people do get along just fine here. We have for over a decade. Nothing needs to be fixed. If anything, people that are overly sensitive need to address that themselves. As we've said, things used to be far worse. If anything, we need to go back to that! :) It's OK to have a little bit of rivalry, but I don't even think that we have that here right now. It was perfectly fine for Aaron to say what he did. He had a feeling and he expressed it. I didn't say boo when he said that. I rolled my eyes and moved on.

The problem is that it attracted this kind of attention. Those people that feel the world has to change because somebody felt that something they did wasn't appreciated or something that somebody did or said was offensive to somebody else. They're wrong, and that is predominantly what I was addressing. Gideon provoked me to address it by starting this thread. As usual, people took offense to the humorous envelop that I wrapped my message in and resorted to tunnel vision attacks. And that is all that you read. You focused on the envelop instead of the message. And here we are.

I can understand new members being confused, but those of you that have known me for years should really know better. And those of you seem to have been the front-runners in this witch-hunt.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

He is not a hateful spiteful person in real life. He's very calm and rational. He is opinionated yes, but not angry or aggressive.

Well, his walls-o-text come out rather aggressive, especially towards women (rape is apparently women's fault for wearing smutty clothes, except studies show rape is about power[1]) or anything that disagrees with his world view. He's even taken to insulting them (and conveniently ignoring) on a regular basis when he can't refute them.

bamccaig said:

I can understand new members being confused, but those of you that have known me for years should really know better.

I dunno. Maybe you should just stop posting drunken rants and we'll have a chance to get to know you better?

Why do you rant so hard here, and not at Samuel? Can we attribute it to something like Penny-Arcade's Greater Internet Dickwad theory? Just replace "anonymity" with "internet"?

Can you start behaving in a respectable manor more of the time? As of late, I'll admit you have actually been behaving less poorly. I and many others would appreciate it.

As for "witch hunt", it seems like you may have a bit of a persecution complex. If people disagree with you, or don't like the way you behave, they are "against you" in some deeply personal way. It only becomes personal if you make it personal.

For example, in #allegro, people were upset with things you had to say, and probably upset that you kept repeating the SAME arguments, used incredibly convenient excuses to hand wave away any arguments you didn't like, and would often fork a conversation into a sexist tirade. I found it INCREDIBLY uncomfortable, but withheld doing anything till people asked me to, as it is not my place as a channel mod to enforce my preferences on the channel. I am there to make sure it is a hospitable, and open environment. If anyone in there affects that, I will ask them to stop, likely more than once, before actually doing anything serious (ie: de-voice, kick, temp ban, or long term ban). You know what I get in return? More rants and insults, because i dare to try keep the channel a place free from hate. That unfortunately comes with the job. It's a rather common problem, the loudest people tend to scream bloody murder if you ask them to sush.

Oh god, now I've gone and written a wall of text. *sigh*

References

1. many rapists don't even know what clothes the women were wearing

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I didn't quite grasp why people have been disappearing because of bambam (I mean, it's just bambam... ::) ).
What I noticed here, however, is that I'd consider it polite to apologize if I offended someone instead of calling him an oversensitive wimp on top of it. However, that's just what bambam seems to do here ("If I offended you, it's your fault.")
Even if he was right by saying so (which I have reason to doubt), it is still just rude and impolite. :-/

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

I can't see were bamccaig was so terrible hateful, too. But i have not read it all. He is verbose, thats right. Bear in mind, the more you are writing the more sh*t you are talking. Somebody is always insulted.

People are very clever. In their thinking they are always right, so what ever you are saying it must be wrong. Even if you say nothing they expect you to say something like good morning. If you don't do it they have another reason to punish you for what you are saying/not saying.

One day you come to the conclusion to stop all this thinking. Like Patanjali said in his Yoga Sutra:

"Yoga is the ending of the activities of the thoughts."

Then you will see your real nature and what spirituality means. 8-)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Polybios said:

I didn't quite grasp why people have been disappearing because of bambam (I mean, it's just bambam... ::) ).

If something makes you incredibly uncomfortable or upset, would you stay? If you do something that hurts, would you keep doing it over and over?

Striker said:

I can't see were bamccaig was so terrible hateful, too.

I presume you skim or skip most of his tirades? Among his wonderful gems, He has said that it is women's fault for being raped.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

If something makes you incredibly uncomfortable or upset, would you stay? If you do something that hurts, would you keep doing it over and over?

Of course I can see how it can make you upset. But, personally, I find just skipping walls of text containing too much bullshit the most natural thing to do anyway. :P
I don't know, if I left I would feel that I had allowed bambam's rants to gain way too much influence on me. We're actually giving him too much attention here, too.

bamccaig said:

Several people regularly smear my image here and I don't hold a grudge. Them not so much. They can't wait to beat me down. That's their issue, not mine. Most people jump in. Group think. A few brave souls stand up for me. Rational thinkers.

This is serious stuff. Almost poetic. I just had to quote it. Sorry.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Bams is quite abrasive in his rants, however, that doesn't mean he's the root of all evil here. We used to have a large number of members to get irritated at, and no real way to engage them without trolling yourself. Nowadays it is mainly the regulars, the committers, and and those who just come for the lulz. Bams just seems more abrasive because there aren't a bunch of idiots trolling us all the time.

I've been both a prick, and the recipient here. Blaming this all on each other doesn't change the fact that we keep coming back for a reason. I happen to like you all (even the ones dumb enough to use Windows or believe in a Sky Daddy).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Bill Gates is my Sky daddy. He's up in the cloud. 8-)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

furinkan said:

Bams is quite abrasive in his rants, however, that doesn't mean he's the root of all evil here. We used to have a large number of members to get irritated at, and no real way to engage them without trolling yourself.

I'm not actually upset for his walls of text, or just the abrasiveness. It is the actively hostile and hateful stance towards women (and other things I'm probably not remembering).

--

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I'm not actually upset for his walls of text, or just the abrasiveness. It is the actively hostile and hateful stance towards women (and other things I'm probably not remembering).

:-/ Seconded, but he still can share that even if we don't agree. I think bams is wayyyyyyy the hell out in left field with that stuff. ;D

Honestly, I'm considering moving to Sweden, because I disagree with a large portion of my continent on humanistic matters. I hear Sweden has a largely sensible population.

EDIT:

Bill Gates is my Sky daddy. He's up in the cloud.

I saw what you did there...

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

furinkan said:

I hear Sweden has a largely sensible population.

Not in rape rates!

{"name":"932.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/e\/ae28cd12480cfa3bdd2905a8a738bd0a.jpg","w":600,"h":349,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/e\/ae28cd12480cfa3bdd2905a8a738bd0a"}932.jpg

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

furinkan said:

he still can share that even if we don't agree.

I don't agree. It is incredibly offensive, backwards and objectively wrong. If he wants to talk about that stuff he can go to /r/TheRedPill and drink the coolaid.

Not in rape rates!

The problem there is that they might just report it more often there. Many women don't report rape as they believe it won't actually lead to anything, and will just open them up to ridicule, and people blaming them (which it often does).

--

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I think a portion of this might have to do with Sweden's openness about sexual conduct. In other countries a large portion of people won't go to the police out of shame. Double edged sword though, that openness could be perceived as an invite sometimes.

Take the good with the bad, I guess. :(

EDIT:

I don't agree. It is incredibly offensive, backwards and objectively wrong. If he wants to talk about that stuff he can go to /r/TheRedPill and drink the coolaid.

I prefer to abstain from marking certain views as inappropriate from a site perspective, because then the mods become more thought police than abuse deterrents. In Allegro's context though, I can see how this would be abhorred. We have few regular members, and it isn't good to have their opinions be iconoclastic. What do you do, though? Ban bams for his opinion? That's not right either, so just let it be.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

furinkan said:

Take the good with the bad, I guess. :(

How about we try to evolve and get rid of the bad. Stop living in the past like animals.

--

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Thus why I'd like to move away. I see little hope for the under-educated, non-voting, unwashed masses of my country. They don't know what's best for themselves or each other. We value capitalism over the greater good. We want to put pseudoscience in schools. We police and spy on the world. We pillage for oil.

I'll take my education and go somewhere that knows how to keep it real.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

furinkan said:

What do you do, though? Ban bams for his opinion? That's not right either, so just let it be.

It comes down to how he behaves. If he continues to insult people, and spout hateful things, that i think is grounds for a boot. I'm not a mod here, so I have no real say. That is just my opinion.

--

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

People having views is not an invitation to start a massive one-sided debate to crush their sensibilities. Being right or thinking you're right or having a strong opinion is fine when you don't push it on others, but bam always does. He is internally compelled to win arguments, whether there should be one or not. Having different views is good, but if someone can't express their views without turning everything into arguments, then it quickly drags everyone and everything else down into degenerate behavior.

bams just hasn't figured it out yet that it isn't about winning the internetTM.

If you want validation of your opinions or some kind of an up/down vote then go to Reddit or something. :P

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Honestly bambams, reading your latest post here, I think you have trouble distinguishing what is real, hard facts and what is purely your perception. It's good that you explained your rationale in this thread, because it was a mystery to me if no one else. There's still a disconnect though, because you say you used humour in this thread, but I don't think anyone can reasonably be expected to recognise it as humour. Without focusing further on specific points in your post, I just think you should work on recognising when your infallible logic is actually based on bad information because your own perception was different from everyone else's. That's at least damage limitation and dispute resolution. You can also work on it pre-emptively: think what other people know and how other people might think, and factor that in when you decide what you're going to say in the first place.

I will actually point out another example from your post. "I'll pray for you" at worst shows that someone else (also) has problems putting themselves in other people's shoes, or it could just be a reflection of where they have most of their interactions (church). The fact that they're saying it, instead of just doing it, may be the whole reason it works: it lets you know that they want the best for you, and that should cheer you up, which in turn makes you better at coping with the coming stresses. The person saying it does not necessarily even know why they're doing it; it's built in. We evolved to support each other because it helps us survive as a species.

As you can see, plenty of people don't see it the way you do. I also think most people won't anticipate the way you see it, because you've spent a long time thinking about your reasoning and no one else is automatically privy to that. So, if your girlfriend's aunt had said that and you had reacted the way you suggest, you might have lost your girlfriend.

Finally, it's good that you said you never meant to target Aaron, but it would be even better if you could bring yourself to apologise. Don't do this just because I suggested it. Ideally it's a natural consequence of your recognising that you acted on a lot of personal conclusions that you now realise were not in most other people's minds, especially Aaron's. ;)

Now I'm going to reply to other people :)

many rapists don't even know what clothes the women were wearing

I'm not sure this by itself is an argument that clothes don't make a difference. Those rapists might have been influenced by the clothes without realising it.

Not in rape rates!

That graph clearly shows that Sweden has the strongest culture of actually reporting it when a rape has occurred. Honestly you think a country like Indonesia really has no rapes? ;)

[EDIT]
Crack statistics: OMG! Rapes are at 66.5% in Sweden! :o

furinkan said:

Ban bams for his opinion?

I read that as "Bam bams for his opinion?" ;D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

OMG! Rapes are at 66.5% in Sweden!

... or 0.0665%

Stop living in the past like animals.

We should live in the future like animals!

I don't agree with everything bambams says either, but I really don't see what the problem is. I am not easily offended by other people's opinions and I hold a few opinions of my own that are considered offensive, like that there is no god and that you should believe in Him with your whole heart. ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That graph clearly shows that Sweden has the strongest culture of actually reporting it when a rape has occurred. Honestly you think a country like Indonesia really has no rapes? ;)

I respect you as a person, but I have to say that I hate that argument so much. The second you bring "Report rates" into the mix, all statistics are meaningless. It then becomes nothing more than "Well, I feel like the USA has more rapes, so it must have more rapes." Yes yes yes, 3rd-world countries that don't even believe rape can happen don't count, but similar, free, democratic countries are still comparable.

Sweden, the USA, Canada, Germany, and likewise, can still be compared. Otherwise, we might as well say police brutality isn't a problem at all in the USA because maybe the USA just cares more about our citizens so they report brutality more. And the USA doesn't have more gun deaths than other countries, we just report them more.

Derezo said:

like that there is no god and that you should believe in Him with your whole heart. ;)

Bill Gates is gonna GETCHA!

{"name":"13945_700x.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/1\/f1ad64d32beeffb5e7371a8b2c035b58.jpg","w":402,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/1\/f1ad64d32beeffb5e7371a8b2c035b58"}13945_700x.jpg

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Honestly bambams, reading your latest post here, I think you have trouble distinguishing what is real, hard facts and what is purely your perception.

Care to cite an example?

There's still a disconnect though, because you say you used humour in this thread, but I don't think anyone can reasonably be expected to recognise it as humour.

Well I am not a comedian by trade, but then again I don't think most of you would be able to tolerate a dark comedy act. You'd be far too offended. If you were greatly offended then I suppose you just weren't my audience. To be fair, Bruce, I find that you have a lot of trouble with dark comedy. I have a lot of trouble with much UK humor so it could also just be a culture barrier.

Without focusing further on specific points in your post, I just think you should work on recognising when your infallible logic is actually based on bad information because your own perception was different from everyone else's.

Can you give an example of my bad information? Having a different idea from most other people, especially closed minded sheep (no offense), doesn't mean that you're wrong. Most people tend to be idiots. Groups have bad ideas. Individuals that aren't afraid to think freely have good ideas.

That's at least damage limitation and dispute resolution. You can also work on it pre-emptively: think what other people know and how other people might think, and factor that in when you decide what you're going to say in the first place.

It's not my job to preempt how other people are going to think about an idea. I can't know. Sometimes I think that an idea is great and people hate it. Other times i think an idea is poor and people love it. Maybe if I censored myself you'd only get the ideas that you hate. I find it better to rationalize ideas on their merit based on my understanding, and share them openly with others. I don't really care if an idea offends you. I mean, I try not to have ideas that are designed to be hurtful. So if it offends you then you're probably either misunderstanding me or are simply too closed minded. Or I've made a mistake, but if I'm already doing my best not to then I can't really prevent that.

I will actually point out another example from your post. "I'll pray for you" at worst shows that someone else (also) has problems putting themselves in other people's shoes, or it could just be a reflection of where they have most of their interactions (church). The fact that they're saying it, instead of just doing it, may be the whole reason it works: it lets you know that they want the best for you, and that should cheer you up, which in turn makes you better at coping with the coming stresses. The person saying it does not necessarily even know why they're doing it; it's built in. We evolved to support each other because it helps us survive as a species.

It doesn't work. Statistically. That aside, at worst it shows that someone doesn't respect your beliefs and believes that they are superior and that you are at their mercy. It doesn't even demonstrate that the person even wants the best for you. You seem to be under the impression that Christians are incapable of being disingenuous. On the contrary.

As you can see, plenty of people don't see it the way you do. I also think most people won't anticipate the way you see it, because you've spent a long time thinking about your reasoning and no one else is automatically privy to that.

If I thought that my audience already shared my point of view then I wouldn't bother expressing it. If it's something that they care about then I expect them to give it some thought. If they don't care about it then I expect them to ignore it. By all means, try to catch up. If you don't understand me then say so or ask questions to clarify.

So, if your girlfriend's aunt had said that and you had reacted the way you suggest, you might have lost your girlfriend.

I wasn't afraid of that. I think my girlfriend is more intelligent than that, and if she's not then I guess I won't miss her. You seem to assume that defeating somebody's argument is a bad thing. On the contrary, it's a good thing. They can't hold it against you without being unreasonable which would only further my points. My girlfriend is not overly religious herself, though even that wouldn't have phased or censored me (though perhaps we never would have made it so far).

Finally, it's good that you said you never meant to target Aaron, but it would be even better if you could bring yourself to apologise. Don't do this just because I suggested it. Ideally it's a natural consequence of your recognising that you acted on a lot of personal conclusions that you now realise were not in most other people's minds, especially Aaron's. ;)

I don't know what was in Aaron's mind because he hasn't really had anything to say. I would really like to talk to him about how he felt and help him through that. It might help him to learn to care a little bit less what people think. All that you can do is your best to be helpful. If other people don't appreciate then fuck them. Hopefully you enjoy it on your own. In my experience, you will inevitably run into people that can't handle you questioning them. There are two ways to approach those people. You can either back down, surrender, and give up. Or else you can stand up to them, discuss their arguments, and try to resolve the conflict. You may be right, or you may be wrong. Neither one of you will learn anything if either of you give up.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I respect you as a person, but

Great :) Unfortunately, since you started a sentence with that totally backhanded comment, the feeling is no longer mutual ;)

[EDIT]
And a quick reply to bambams: I did cite a couple of examples

1. the belief that "I'll pray for you", in typical usage, is insulting - of course Christians can be disingenuous but you should never assume it until you have a reason beyond that they said "I'll pray for you"

2. the belief that what I at least read as an attack could be humour (and I don't care to argue about whether it's actually my perception that's wrong, sorry - too tired)

Aside from that, the stuff I asked you to do (which you think isn't your responsibility) is stuff that many of us just do because it helps us and others get along. I only suggested it because I'm trying to find ways to stop you getting attacked for your posts like in this thread. If you can't get anything useful from it, I only have so much time and will have to leave it, sorry :-/ (Will just say that people can at least sense it when you show some effort to understand them instead of just talking about your own views - you don't have to be right about what others are thinking, just show you're trying.)

Oh and what exactly do you mean by dark comedy? Is it the same as black humour? Because I love that stuff. Jokes inspired by recent tragedies for example (with care to make sure you have the right audience for those jokes, of course). Sorry we can't agree on this one.

Oh, example: my mum felt sad on Mother's Day because it was her first one without her mum. I sent her something like, "I want to die like my grandfather, peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming like the passengers in his car." The joke did actually help her.

[EDIT again]
Maybe we're assuming different contexts? If someone means to say "I'll pray for you to find your way back to religion" then yes, it's annoying, I'll grant you that ;) and a bit of rudeness might be a useful reality check for the person who said it. My previous comments apply if someone merely said it outside of a religious discussion because you've got something stressful coming up.

Sleep now!

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: