Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The Curse of the Programmer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
The Curse of the Programmer
beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

That was what I was getting at. Maybe we don't need a general off topic discussion forum, just an allegro general topics forum. So we can all focus on Allegro. That will keep a lot of pointless arguments from happening. A separate forum such as allegro-using-btards.org could be set up to replace this sub-forum ... ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think that you guys are missing the point that many regulars on these boards no longer use Allegro, and for its entire lifetime the off-topic board has always been the most popular. You think it'll increase productivity within the Allegro project to take it away? It might just be the nail in the coffin for the community and therefore the project.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Yes I know that... all those people who used to use Allegro before but don't use it anymore now and don't contribute to it are hanging out here. While it's nice to have someone to chat with, and with all due respect to those people, but I doubt that they do the Allegro project itself much good. "We have a forum full of ex-Allegro users, please ignore them and their endless arguments". :/

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What if they're just not actively using Allegro, but still might later, and are also capable of answering general programming and game design questions? ???

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

beoran said:

We have a forum full of ex-Allegro users, please ignore them and their endless arguments

I think that's a non issue. Leave allegro.cc the way it is (unfortunately with no way to ban people or they'd all have banned each other by now), and if there's any new allegro users who are actually interested in programming let them create a new forum :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

The off topic forums don't need to be eliminated, they need to be de-populated of opinionated a-holes who don't seem to be contributing much to the prosperity of the community. Consistently and repeatedly spouting hateful offensive and derisive things should be grounds for encouragement to tell the people doing these things to get lost. Just because it's an off topic forum doesn't mean that its everyone's right to make it some kind of no holds barred boxing match. Nor does it excuse offensive speech and behavior that only serves to destroy and not build up.

If we don't hold ourselves to at least some kind of minimum standard ethic of behavior then we don't stand for anything.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Answering Allegro or programming related questions certainly counts as contributing to Allegro. Would you stop doing that if this sub-forum disappeared? I certainly wouldn't. Normally I use this forum only for Allegro related stuff anyway.

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

The off topic forums don't need to be eliminated, they need to be de-populated of opinionated a-holes who don't seem to be contributing much to the prosperity of the community.

No, they don't need to be 'de-populated of opinionated a-holes.' You might like it if that were the case, but everyone's lives' go on.

Quote:

Just because it's an off topic forum doesn't mean that its everyone's right to make it some kind of no holds barred boxing match.

You're right, no one has a right to come here and be offensive to anyone else, because this forum isn't public property. In fact, no one has a right to post here at all. It has to be allowed by the owner of the site, and so far he may be giving that privilege.

The thing of it is, you don't have a right not to be offended either (and god knows some people can get offended at really ridiculous things, though I'm not saying whether or not that's the case here since I generally don't pay attention to this stuff.) If that was the case, we'd all be pretty screwed whether we intended to be an ass or not. It is not your right to have bambams shut up, as much as you might like the idea. However, you can feel free to try and dissuade him from any course of action you disagree with, but it's starting to look like(to me, personally) it's a waste of effort.

The alternative, or even supplemental course of action, is to work on yourself and make an effort not to worry about it so much. If someone says something you think is really off handed and ridiculous, it's not impossible to learn to think "Hey, that was really stupid. In fact, it was so stupid it's not even worth my time." It might take time and practice, but you end up controlling the situation with something you're got more control over: yourself.

For the record.... I don't agree with this premise that getting rid of people who offend you on this forum is going to turn allegro.cc into some sort of flourishing programmer's paradise. I've been to plenty of forums with fairly intelligent people and a few massively offensive people, and things keep on trucking.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat 10,000 PBCs.

P.S. Why don't people from IRC come to defend bambams? Because I'm perfectly happy to let him take care of himself, I'm not an apologist for him. My motivation for reading this thread is either to be entertained or analyse it and form my own opinion. I don't feel compelled to share all of my opinions with everyone. Also, I can't sleep and I'm really bored right now.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

"You're right, no one has a right to come here and be offensive to anyone else, because this forum isn't public property."

It wouldn't matter if it were public property, no-one has that right (to be offensive) without sanction. To be honest all this talk of public/private spaces and rights is nonsense, it seems to be about common-decency and getting-along, as history is littered with tragic examples of people not-getting-along.

And although I have enjoyed reading this allegro-soap-opera really life is too short to be getting worked up over something that is meant to help us have fun, and hopefully make fun things to share and communicate.

www.justanotherturn.com

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think people are making this a way too big of an issue. We've been spending far more time debating it than we actually spend dealing with the issues we say we're upset with.

Off-Topic Ordeals is already not listed in the recent threads by default.

So,
1) If there are a couple of threads you don't agree with, just don't post in them. Just because an issue, or stance is controversial doesn't automatically make it bad, and there will always be people with stances you don't agree with.

2) Clearly there are some unresolved issues with people's attitudes/disrespect in threads, so maybe everyone should just compromise and try to be a little nicer regardless of whether or not you think it applies to you. Just make sure you realize there's another person with a different experience on the other end of that monitor.

3) Focus on having fun and helping people.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think people are making this a way too big of an issue. We've been spending far more time debating it than we actually spend dealing with the issues we say we're upset with.

Not me. I continue to make sure #allegro is habitable, and it has worked. Much friendlier place to be. All it took was standing up and saying "NO MORE".

Quote:

1) If there are a couple of threads you don't agree with, just don't post in them. Just because an issue, or stance is controversial doesn't automatically make it bad, and there will always be people with stances you don't agree with.

I do that all the time. And so do a lot of others. And that's lead to people being allowed to get away with proverbial murder. Its like an offshoot of Penny Arcades Internet Dickwad Theory. If there's no consequences for bad behavior, people will keep doing it, and will probably get worse.

Quote:

2) Clearly there are some unresolved issues with people's attitudes/disrespect in threads, so maybe everyone should just compromise and try to be a little nicer regardless of whether or not you think it applies to you. Just make sure you realize there's another person with a different experience on the other end of that monitor.

What impetus does one have to do so? Other than having empathy? (which clearly some members do not have)

Quote:

3) Focus on having fun and helping people.

I try, but then internet dickwads get in the way and I have to ignore the forums for a while.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

We're all internet dickwads (sometimes).

www.justanotherturn.com

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yodhe23 said:

We're all internet dickwads (sometimes).

I try not to :(

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Not me. I continue to make sure #allegro is habitable, and it has worked. Much friendlier place to be. All it took was standing up and saying "NO MORE".

{"name":"0cf.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/b\/2b85a3998d2e3b01228ac75ce14846d0.jpg","w":311,"h":311,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/b\/2b85a3998d2e3b01228ac75ce14846d0"}0cf.jpg

On the contrary, you did no such thing. You effectively just said, "I disagree with your ideas and so do a few special other members that are more important to me than you so you can't express your ideas anymore or I'll ban you!" You don't stop the discussion entirely. You just censor people you don't like. Freenode rules basically are "keep the temperature low", but you immediately go full chanop threat mode when your comfort zone is pushed.

I can only speak for myself, but I haven't changed any behavior in #allegro. I just haven't been challenged to a debate in a while, in large part because I haven't been as active in #allegro lately (due to work and life). I'm really the only person you would have asked to stop. Other people willingly discuss all topics, including yourself, and can get away with anything because you like them.

You're very proud of yourself because you're in a position of power that hasn't been challenged. I would find it very entertaining to have a freenode staff member active in #allegro for a year. You think you're some kind of hero defending the oppressed from the oppressor, but really you're just an oppressive hypocrite. I do not attack members (any more than they attack, but of course #allegro is typically a very [sarcastically] abusive channel).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

On the contrary, you did no such thing. You effectively just said, "I disagree with your ideas and so do a few special other members that are more important to me than you so you can't express your ideas anymore or I'll ban you!" You don't stop the discussion entirely.

*sigh* yet more unsubstantiated drivel.

I asked you to stop spreading hate. And yes, what you were doing was spreading hate.

Yes, your behavior has changed a lot lately. Used to be when ever someone even mentioned the word "woman" you'd go into full on hate mode on women.

Quote:

You just censor people you don't like.

I sensor people who don't know how to behave in a respectable manner.

Quote:

Freenode rules basically are "keep the temperature low"

Which you rarely ever did. You seemed to be there just to rile everyone up. Always picking fights and arguments, as well as spreading hate.

Quote:

you immediately go full chanop threat mode when your comfort zone is pushed.

That is provably false. There are many times I'd love to just send warnings, but I don't as it isn't my place to enforce my ideals. It is however my place to make it comfortable for others. When they ask, I listen, within reason.

The funny part? I asked ONCE. Maybe twice. That's it. Somehow that makes me some overbearing power hungry dictator. ::)

Quote:

You think you're some kind of hero defending the oppressed from the oppressor, but really you're just an oppressive hypocrite

I'm not a hero. I am a channel op. I am there to keep the channel hospitable. When people threaten that, I ask them politely to stop.

Quote:

I do not attack members (any more than they attack, but of course #allegro is typically a very [sarcastically] abusive channel).

You have repeatedly attacked me in a personal way, generally every chance you get, except when you can't come up with a convenient excuse to explain away my point.

As for #allegro being a abusive channel, it actually isn't. I honestly don't know where you get that from. These days its really quite a good place to be. If you're referring to me and Sevalecan being dicks to each other, its a mutual friendly poking.

It's amusing that any time someone even goes against you you claim power abuse and how they are against you in some deeply personal way.

--

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Bambam is his own spin doctor. The image of the lone rational thinker in the desert of group think, fighting imagined "dictators" and defending his freedom of speech. It's no use arguing against that.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm going to repost my question, just so people who may have skimmed my last message can actually see it:

What do we all as a community want from this community?

I personally would like an open and friendly environment people can feel comfortable in, and not feel like they have to constantly bite their tongue lest they face the wrath of the louder more objectionable/argumentative community members.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I asked you to stop spreading hate. And yes, what you were doing was spreading hate.

You demanded I stop saying things you disagreed with. It is your shallow opinion that I was spreading hate. It is not a fact, and I insist that it's slander.

Yes, your behavior has changed a lot lately. Used to be when ever someone even mentioned the word "woman" you'd go into full on hate mode on women.

At the time I was probably in the midst of being enlightened on the issues myself and motivated to discuss the topic with other intelligent people. I think you're exaggerating that I would trigger on any mention of women. Most often what would trigger the debate was the mention of Feminist ideals. Again, "hate" is your word. I don't hate, nor have I ever hated, women.

I sensor censor people who don't know how to behave in a respectable manner.

Admitting it is your first step to recovery. Next work on leaving out the excuses. ;) Just for the record, whose definition of what is respectable in any particular context applies? There is no single definition for any context.

Which you rarely ever did. You seemed to be there just to rile everyone up. Always picking fights and arguments, as well as spreading hate.

I was there to have intelligent conversations with peers that I respected. Peers that happened to trigger debate by repeating seemingly innocent politically charged delusions without taking time to assess the value in what they're saying. The best way to avoid a "fight" is to keep those ideas to yourself.

That is provably false. There are many times I'd love to just send warnings, but I don't as it isn't my place to enforce my ideals. It is however my place to make it comfortable for others. When they ask, I listen, within reason.

It makes me uncomfortable to read politically charged assertions without a basis in reality.

The funny part? I asked ONCE. Maybe twice. That's it. Somehow that makes me some overbearing power hungry dictator. ::)

It has been more than once or twice, and the main reason it hasn't been many more is because you wave the ban hammer to censor me.

When people threaten that, I ask them politely to stop.

You don't know what polite is. A polite moderator approach would be indifferent to the ideas themselves and it would target everybody, not a specific person.

"I don't care what anybody thinks about this topic, but it's getting a little bit heated in here so can we please change the subject?"

You have a habit of letting other people get their ideas in and then prevent me from responding to it. Fairness requires you to silence everybody on the matter simultaneously. Silencing only me is censorship. It has nothing to do with moderation. It's an abuse of power.

You have repeatedly attacked me in a personal way, generally every chance you get, except when you can't come up with a convenient excuse to explain away my point.

I'm sorry you feel that way because I personally respect you a lot and consider you a valuable peer. I strongly oppose your abuse of moderator privileges, hypocritical troll accusations, and loud support for censorship. All of that is circumstantial. You have a tendency to attack my character and myself so I respond in kind. I find it hard to believe that you feel like the victim in the exchange.

As for #allegro being a abusive channel, it actually isn't. I honestly don't know where you get that from. These days its really quite a good place to be. If you're referring to me and Sevalecan being dicks to each other, its a mutual friendly poking.

I am regularly harassed or "abused" in the channel, and I'm not alone. Most of us just take it because we understand that it's all in good fun (even if some people aren't always meaning to be funny). Maybe you're just oblivious to it because your judgment is clouded or you're a lesser target.

I'm not saying that it's something that necessarily needs to change. I find it fun most of the time, and I think that most participants do. When it does get out of hand it is usually short lived. The channel is attentive to distress calls.

Regarding Sevalecan, he is a routine target for the entire channel. It isn't just you that pokes fun at him. I can't speak for him, but I think that he has grown a thick skin from it and like myself takes it in stride. Of course, that doesn't mean that it doesn't still bruise from time to time.

"Stick and stones may break your bones, but words can break he-arts."

Most everyone loves Sevalecan though.

It's amusing that any time someone even goes against you you claim power abuse and how they are against you in some deeply personal way.

Aren't you? You don't mind me being here, as long as I don't say anything (at least nothing you disagree with)? :D

Polybios said:

Bambam is his own spin doctor. The image of the lone rational thinker in the desert of group think, fighting imagined "dictators" and defending his freedom of speech. It's no use arguing against that.

I don't recall seeing you in IRC. Do you go by another name? If not then I really don't see what qualifies you to stick your hand in this fight. I'm more than happy to take you on if you'd like, but I'd rather not have to.

I'm going to repost my question, just so people who may have skimmed my last message can actually see it:

What do we all as a community want from this community?

I personally would like an open and friendly environment people can feel comfortable in, and not feel like they have to constantly bite their tongue lest they face the wrath of the louder more objectionable/argumentative community members.

Emphasis mine. Either you haven't been reading the thread or you're simplying ignoring the replies from people you don't agree with. Some have said that they want the forum censored and/or "troublemakers" banned, others have suggested getting rid of the off-topic board entirely, and others have said nothing needs changing and that if people want to do things differently they should create a new site from which to do it. Many people probably aren't even aware that this wasn't the official forum of Allegro, and I'm not even sure that it is now, though perhaps that has changed if the official one was shut down... Of course, the official forum was never as active as this one was at one time. Which is perhaps a bit of foreshadowing if certain people get their wishes.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I like turtles...I mean, I make drum & bass:

Return to Battlehawk

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Let me sum my opinion on this thread.

What. The Fuck. Ever.

I don't see anything changing here. When people ask people to stop being offensive to others and to stop starting fights, whether or not 'someone else started it', they should stop. Period. This never happens. When people feel the need to challenge other people's ideas unto the point where they decide to leave a forum, that's unhealthy and it needs to change. Why do we need offensive members here again? Oh right, the general opinion here is that the right to free speech is the right to be rude, confrontational, offensive, and antagonistic towards people that are obviously wrong and who need to be corrected. When did we elect bamccaig to be our official forum asshole? And why does he continue to remain in that post?

Doesn't upheaval signal a need for change? Something's gotta change. Unless of course you want this forum to continue on its present course into oblivion. :/

Taylor Swift said:

So it's gonna be forever
Or it's gonna go down in flames
You can tell me when it's over
If the high was worth the pain
Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
'Cause you know I love the players
And you love the game

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

bamccaig said:

I was there to have intelligent conversations with peers that I respected. Peers that happened to trigger debate by repeating seemingly innocent politically charged delusions without taking time to assess the value in what they're saying. The best way to avoid a "fight" is to keep those ideas to yourself.

Sigh... :-p I don't get it. Why do we here or in the IRC channel insist on talking about completely irrelevant subjects with each other, here or in the channel, even though it causes plenty of in arguments like these?

Programming, game programming, C, Allegro or the Allegro project, tech news, your latest gadgets, that sort of stuff is OK to talk about. But why do we have to talk about inflammatory topics like feminism, religion, politics, etc? There are, or should be, other, better places for debates like those.

For me the topics are the problem. Why not just stay clear of inflammatory topics? Don't start about them, ignore them if mentioned by others.

Allegro now is too much like a debate club. I dislike it because I actually use Allegro and want the software to keep on improving. Before when Allegro development was more active the debate club did less harm. But now al these debates are getting in the way of the project itself. As I said in my first post on this topic, if you have time to waste on pointless debates here, why not help out with Allegro in stead. I'm sure helping out where you can will prove much more satisfactory than playing the forum warrior.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Stumbled upon this tonight. Seems pretty relevant (you need to get past about a minute of idiots to get to the smart people):

video

That Ricky Gervais is a smart comedian.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Off-Topic Ordeals is already not listed in the recent threads by default.

Not for me, or any other member as far as I know, because they're right there with the rest of them every time I look at the recent threads page.

And what about turning a thread about Muslims reputed to have killed Christians into a further mockery of God and Christ? This is the kind of stuff I am sick of. And I shouldn't really have to put up with.

But apparently it makes no difference whatsoever because the prevailing opinion here is bambams can be as offensive as he wants and its not my right to get upset. No one here will do anything about it anyway. It seems clear everything I have said has been mostly pointless. And oh I forgot, bamccaig is the real victim here, right? WTFE. And I should just get over it. Yeah. Sure.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Referring to my personal strand of this conversation:

bamccaig said:

I don't recall seeing you in IRC. Do you go by another name? If not then I really don't see what qualifies you to stick your hand in this fight. I'm more than happy to take you on if you'd like, but I'd rather not have to.

I was just talking about what I saw on these forums. Well, I think I politely turn down your generous offer, thank you. :P

I don't know. Maybe feeding the troll with a big fat extra thread dedicated to him and his trolling is just the wrong thing to do? If everyone just completely ignored the ... "ideas" (wait... the substandard behaviour in question here) instead of overreacting on it, maybe that'd work?

@Edgar:

further mockery of God and Christ

I've seen you arguing about religious issues here for years and my general impression is you're a bit oversensitive on this topic. :-/
Imagine a child that wants attention. If it knows you get upset on a certain topic, what is it going to do? ::)

Edit:
Just realized I'm in difficult waters... :-/ I didn't mean to blame you, Edgar, I'm trying to encourage you to relax in a well-intentioned way so to speak, don't know how to say it. :)

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

This thread reminds me of a story I heard recently about a 25-hour cron job that ran daily. I need to be more active.

Quote:

Is that how you saw it :o

To be honest, not exactly. I see that bambams blames women for being raped, but isn't that just a running gag? I don't know what to believe any more. I do know, however, that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink--and you certainly can't stop him from leaving for greener pastures. Bambams embodies each of these but the last, and that's what matters the most to me. I have little hope for changing his ways.

I did, however, remember a fable--not an Aesop fable but a very good one about a slow-witted villager who leaves his front door open before going out to work in the fields. He returns before sundown to find all his belongings missing. After reporting the robbery, his fellow villagers offer no help, only saying, "That's what you get for leaving your door open." The slow-witted villager says, "Oh," and goes home.

Only later, after the village chief's home is broken into, do the villagers realize they should have been more concerned with a criminal on the loose than condemning carelessness (which is not a crime).

Go to: