Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Happy days are here again

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Happy days are here again
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

{"name":"609377","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/0\/102fb7952338babdabca7f06d6b36861.jpg","w":1563,"h":1099,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/0\/102fb7952338babdabca7f06d6b36861"}609377

:D

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

That card seems pretty fantastic!

What happened to your old card (I assume something being wrong with it caused the happy days to end at some point prior).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

The old card is fine... it's just old (GTX 680).

Happier days, is probably more apt. ;)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

LennyLen said:

it's just old (GTX 680).

::Looks at his GTX 560 SE and AMD X4 630:: :'(

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I "upgraded" my Radeon 6850 to a Gforce 640 (I won it at a lan party last year). they are fairly close in performance, but the radeons always spin up the fans to full speed when you do dual monitor, and I can't stand that.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I "upgraded" my Radeon 6850 to a Gforce 640 (I won it at a lan party last year). they are fairly close in performance, but the radeons always spin up the fans to full speed when you do dual monitor, and I can't stand that.

Our NAS makes more noise than my entire PC. 8-)

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Are you planning to play GTA V @ 4K with that thing? ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My HD 6850 hasn't run into anything that I need it to that it can't. >:(

But that does sound like a badass GPU. :o

(Looks up the price...)

HOLY FUCK, but does it wheelie?! :o

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

jmasterx said:

Are you planning to play GTA V @ 4K with that thing?

Nah.... Minecraft ;)

I haven't got a 4K monitor yet, so for now it's just regular HD. The card comes with a coupon for a free copy of The Witcher 3, so I'll be playing that soon.

bamccaig said:

(Looks up the price...)

It's a little more than I had intended to spend, but hopefully it'll last me as long as my GTX 680 did, which is 2 1/2 years. Even if I replace it in a year and a half, that's not too bad for half a week's salary.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

My onboard video is still working great for me. :) ;)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I don't actually have an onboard video chip.

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

My GeForce GT 440 is still working fine. Plays Skyrim, what else do I need?

EDIT: This way I can pretend my computer is a Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 because I can't presently afford one :(

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

Izual
Member #2,756
September 2002

GeForce 9600 GT. 7th year in service, still alive and kicking.

Thumbs up for that one hell of a graphics card.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Congratulations! I'm more than satisfied so far with my GTX 660ti as I haven't had any problems playing anything new at highest details.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I'm still waiting for the new AMD r9 3xx series to be released as I expect the prices to drop at that point.

I'm still doing fine with my old card playing cs:go, but now with my 144hz monitor I expect that I'll have to upgrade soon to play any new games at what I deem an acceptable frame rate now.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Izual said:

GeForce 9600 GT. 7th year in service, still alive and kicking.

Thumbs up for that one hell of a graphics card.

What the hell? I had no less than THREE of those damn generation cards fail. First the fan ball bearings go out, and you replace the fan for half the price of the card, and then later: the GPU slowly dies. First it crashes randomly and windows recovers the driver. Then it crashes more and more frequently. It got to the point any YouTube video would kill the driver, and any game that used the Source engine would kill the driver. (And yes, I updated the bloody drivers.) So it's like part of the card, or the GPU itself was fried.

I bought one card, it died. Another card, it died, and finally when I had no money, I borrowed my brothers card and it died. Only took them a year or two each. I was buying them because they were the older generation so they were cheaper.

And we're talking two completely different systems with different motherbards/cpus/etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that had horrible experience with that generation.

Meanwhile this GTX 560 has been running for years without so much of a peep.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Sevalecan said:

Plays Skyrim, what else do I need?

I plan on running this on ultra-high settings.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Wow that woman's voice pisses me off. :o She doesn't fit the video at all.

-----sig:

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

LennyLen said:

I plan on running this [www.youtube.com] on ultra-high settings.

Oh god, I want this now. Time wasting, here I come.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

Sevalecan said:

Plays Skyrim, what else do I need?

I plan on running this on ultra-high settings.

That looks so good it might be worth breaking down and reinstalling Windows just to play it... :o

Wow that woman's voice pisses me off. :o She doesn't fit the video at all.

I disagree. Her voice was perfect for the video.

Go to: