Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I'm typing this on my Raspberry PI 2 right now. :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I'm typing this on my Raspberry PI 2 right now. :)
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm typing this on my Raspberry PI 2 with Ubuntu and the LXDE desktop right now. :o

LDXE was a little buggy/laggy at first; YouTube videos will play, but not any higher 240p, and not fullscreen. The initial LXDE desktop had a hideous theme and a bunch of worthless "panels" on the taskbar, so after cleaning that up a bit things are operating quite nicely.

It seems that there isn't enough power/charge on the PI to use my wireless mouse and wireless keyboard at the same time, there was substantial lag on the mouse, so I plugged in a corded mouse and it's working without any lag.

I actually like this as a computer. I can't do anything "powerful" with it, but it is a desktop and it's more comfortable than having a VM running inside windows 7. I think I'll use it to do some programming, if I can find a proper IDE/editor. I would like to use Sublime Text but haven't found a version that runs with my current configuration (There seems to be some problem with the ARM processor and 386i emulation or something-er-rather).

I'm really amazed that it is able to get this far. Totally a sweet system, brah 8-)

{"name":"609322","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9e813104068688af8b29d898511ade4a.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/e\/9e813104068688af8b29d898511ade4a"}609322

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The PI has always had problems with available usb power. When using as a computer you probably want to use a powered usb hub. It can also help to use a higher power wallwart (powering the pi via usb is guaranteed not to have enough power for more than one or two low power usb devices, especially on host ports that only provide a max of 500mA).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I was using my (original) Raspberry Pi Model B to run IRC, Pidgin, and an email client. But it was painfully slow.

The RasPi2 sounded very interesting to me. Not interesting enough to buy one. (I'm not even currently using my original one.) But interesting none the less. I was wondering how well MAME would run on it, to build a mini arcade machine with it. :D

Go to: