1   2 
Google Code is shutting down
Phrasz
Member #10,091
August 2008

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Yet another Google project thrown away... :-/ That being said, unlike other ones that they have nuked, Google Code makes a fairly sound argument to just use Github. Maybe there's some details/licensing/features I'm missing though.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Google Code was pretty nice while it lasted.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Google code hasn't been a thing for a while. They started the closure years ago. Which is too bad, it was a decent service when it started.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'm waiting for SourceForge to shut down next. They recently added an option where you can host your actual code at Github and just use SourceForge for everything else - but I doubt that will be enough to keep users (and sponsors) around.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

The problem is that sourceforge is overkill and github is too minimal. Thay said, github is fine for developing a project, but less so for hosting one, while the opposite can be said of sourceforge.

As for Google Code,... well, nice try but no cigar, I guess?

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I never really liked the interface that Google Code had. I always found it difficult to navigate. I'm still partial to BitBucket for my project hosting needs.

The cancelled Google project that I miss most is their real estate listings. It was very helpful back in 2010 when I was looking for a house. You could go onto maps and click on the Real Estate overlay and see where houses for sale were on the map. Very cool and easy to use. (Others have imitated it, but the experience is nowhere near as good as what Google had.)

What will Google cancel next? Voice?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I agree that using github for hosting a project can be annoying. It's fairly confusing for end-users.

Elias said:

I'm waiting for SourceForge to shut down next.

I both love and dread that idea. SourceForge (and CNET while I'm at it) have both become full of ads upon ads upon ads, and then they do terrible things like do "download managers" full of spyware. So I hate them for sneaking malware into people's computers, but I'm not aware of any good alternatives.

http://blog.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2618688/antimalware/security-pros-slam-cnet-download-com-s-bundling.html

Meanwhile, take a stroll down the list of Google's cancelled projects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products#Discontinued_products_and_services

Really fun side note: Back in 2009, Google wasn't considered "the devil" among tech people. It's amazing how quickly those things show up.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

StevenVI said:

You could go onto maps and click on the Real Estate overlay and see where houses for sale were on the map.

That sounds useful. It's too bad Google canceled it. Another service I saw a lot of potential in was Click-to-Call, which provided free, instantaneous calls to businesses listed on Google Maps. I only managed to use the service over the course of a month or so before it was quietly canceled. The whining of phone companies factored into this decision.

I'll be sad if SourceForge dies away, though I suppose that's been coming ever since Dice bought them out. The same goes for Slashdot.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Oddly enough, I've found Slashdot to have better discussions than Reddit nowadays. Reddit is becoming a combination of "platform for social action" (whining) and cat pictures. And dear God, pray you don't wander into the programming subreddits. Talk about a bunch of mean elitists.

-----sig:

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So what you're saying is reddit is the new 4chan? Of course its almost always been that. There's a reason I've avoided it.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Google Code had an improved interface over SourceForge years ago, but that was like 2006 or 2007 when Git and Mercurial weren't really known yet. Those were Subverison days. Sam and I hosted the original (and for all intents and purposes only relevant) "Intern's Quest" repository there. I got notice from Google that they were shutting it down for this reason. Honestly, I wasn't surprised at all. Google Code hasn't been relevant in years. They weren't even trying.

If they wanted to Google has the power to outdo GitHub. GitHub is mostly good for being Git-based. The UI is nothing special, and it isn't overly full of features. It is minimalist and that's one of its strengths. It is easy to get the repository cloned and get on with your life. Of course, Bitbucket loses for preferring Mercurial, and they have similarly screwed up ideas based on that bias... Google could have easily stolen the show if they wanted it, but I don't think they really wanted it.

How do you profit from that? I imagine that GitHub and Bitbucket manage to pay their bills, but I don't think they're making Google scales of money. This doesn't show failure in Google. It's the exact opposite. They're so big that these small projects are off the radar. They're trying to clean up the cruft. The good part is that they're surrendering in some areas where they could be dominating. If only they'd do much more of that we could turn the Web into a more free and lucrative place. Google needs to surrender much of its power, or start opening its software up. In general, meh, nobody should care that Google Code shut down.

At the same time, SourceForge should just shut down. They've never had a good UI. For the past ~10 years or so since I have been active in the tech. world SourgeForge has always been a sore spot. When a project hosts there I just hope to be able to find what I'm looking for: typically source code or binaries, or a repository URL, without much hassle. It's generally not the case that it's obvious.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

What happens to those half-written, mostly abandoned projects that are only hosted on Google Code?. If the site closes and with no developer in sight that means that you won't be able to get that project anymore, right?. I guess there must be a handful of useful projects that might face this scenario.

About SourceForge, I've never been a registered user but I used to participate in some project forums when you could sign in with your OpenID, then one day it stopped working. Too bad, I guess it shows one more of the problems that the site faces with its users.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

They've never had a good UI.

That never stopped eBay! They've still got the same, almost identical, terrible, GoDaddy-quality user interface they've had since the 90's.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

What happens to those half-written, mostly abandoned projects that are only hosted on Google Code?. If the site closes and with no developer in sight that means that you won't be able to get that project anymore, right?. I guess there must be a handful of useful projects that might face this scenario.

Google said that new projects are no longer accepted. They are going to disable writes in a couple of months (IIRC), making it read-only for 6 months or something like that, after which time it will still be possible to export all of the data. After that it will be completely shut down. There is plenty of time to rescue any data you want from the site. Most of those half-written sites obviously weren't important enough to keep. Or else, like myself, their developers have probably already imported the code into GitHub or Bitbucket: Google Code vs. GitHub.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

So what you're saying is reddit is the new 4chan? Of course its almost always been that. There's a reason I've avoided it.

That's why I like Reddit. It's like 4chan with less cöcks.

You don't deserve my sig.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

jhuuskon said:

That's why I like Reddit. It's like 4chan with less cöcks.

I think that used to be the case :P

--

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Good riddance to IE.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I saw "npr" in the URL, and my heart jumped... Thank goodness.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It'd be nice... except every time someone does a "clean" branch tends to introduce new problems.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

Let's hope the new IE is nothing like all of the rest of their software. Because if it's anything like Visual Studio, Word, Excel, Dynamics CRM, Dynamics NAV, Microsoft SQL, Active Directory, Windows 8, or any of their support tools for running those products, it's going to be a terrible, bloated piece of junk with tons of compatibility issues that I'll have to solve for my clients. Clients (and even my Boss) who won't understand why it takes so damn long, and so many obscure articles to read, and even custom SDK code just to get their products to do something like import data without long-standing internal bugs damaging the data.

Some people see that as job security. At 25K/year, I see that as a miserable existence that I don't get paid enough to deal with. ::)

-----sig:

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

At 25K/year, I see that as a miserable existence that I don't get paid enough to deal with. ::)

Holy crap, if that's all you're getting paid it's time to start up your own "review my resume" thread :o.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

StevenVI said:

Holy crap, if that's all you're getting paid it's time to start up your own "review my resume" thread :o.

:(

-----sig:

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Quote:

:(

I was hoping you were going to say it was a type-o. :(

1   2 

Go to: