Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Which allegro version is recommended by you?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Which allegro version is recommended by you?
SomeoneConfused
Member #15,890
February 2015

Hello.
I have been game developing with allegro since 5 months. Curently i use the latest stable build of allegro ( 5.0.10 ). I see many new and cool features added in the newer allegro versions. But I'm also aware that there may be bugs included. I do not know which version to use actually. Because as a beginner, I don't know if it will be really good to encounter allegro bugs and be like "what the hell did go wrong here". Which version do you recommend and why?

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Welcome! I think you'll find that Allegro makes programming very fun. In the meantime, the FAQ has your answer (note, also, the reference), and this topic probably belongs in the programming forum.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

But I'm also aware that there may be bugs included.

No, 5.1.x just has an "unstable" API, as in, a function may get added but if it turns out people don't like it may get removed again before the next "stable" version 5.2.0. It's not likely to happen and I don't know if it ever did - but it's the risk there is with using any of the new 5.1.x features before they are declared final.

There should not be any more or less bugs than in 5.0.10.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Elias said:

No, 5.1.x just has an "unstable" API, as in, a function may get added but if it turns out people don't like it may get removed again before the next "stable" version 5.2.0. It's not likely to happen and I don't know if it ever did - but it's the risk there is with using any of the new 5.1.x features before they are declared final.

Actually, some APIs have changed significantly after being added to a WIP branch, before a "Stable" release is made.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

In my memory those things were usually changed in git already before making it into a first WIP release.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Go to: