Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Hack Windows XP to get another 5 years support. :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Hack Windows XP to get another 5 years support. :)
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Maybe I wasn't clear. A majority of that 30 gb is probably non-existent

In this case I doubt it. Windows can and will store a bunch of stuff it doesn't absolutely need to. Like every installed driver ever, and every copy of it ever. And while NTFS supports hardlinks under the covers, almost nothing lets you use them, so I doubt windows does either.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

This computer (the one she used) has no viruses. I've never had a virus on any computer I'm the sole responsible party of. I may have said 'no antivirus,' but perhaps better put would have been 'no realtime antivirus.'

If you have JavaScript blocked on untrusted websites (aka just about them all), a proper ad blocking mechanism, keep software up to date, require permission to run plugins [and don't have crappy ones like Java or QuickTime], your chance (as an end-user) of getting a virus is extremely low. I mean like, hitting the jackpot low.

Exactly. I didn't even take these precautions. I just stopped using Internet Explorer and Outlook express and the adware and spyware completely vanished. I then stopped using a virus checker completely for over 5 years and never once had a problem It's only just recently I decided to throw Microsoft's Security Essentials on which is good enough for me, mainly because I find it runs nicely in the background without slowing anything down on me. I only recently had to scan for adware, but that was because of my own stupidity, and I ran the adware checker immediately after realizing I had installed the wrong software to remove it. Otherwise, in over 10 years, no viruses and a very stable operating system. I'm like you, I am careful what I download and from where (most of the time) and I am the only user of this system. My wife doesn't download anything at all, she just uses Facebook and Youtube (on Firefox) with no problems. No viruses, very stable.

Let the haters hate, I like Windows and no amount of bullshit will change that. It certainly runs better than Linux, though I will admit, Linux has come a long ways, but it still isn't as nice to use as Windows, at least in my opinion. Plus Windows has gotten cheaper to buy over the years.

I really don't see the reason to complain about it. If you don't use it, than fine, don't use it.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I had viruses automatically show up on an XP vm without even opening a browser. No joke. Just don't patch it, and they will find their way in.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

How hostile is your network if a host gets automatically infected?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I had viruses automatically show up on an XP vm without even opening a browser. No joke. Just don't patch it, and they will find their way in

Was XP installed legitimately from an actual disk, or from a cracked ISO?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

raynebc said:

How hostile is your network if a host gets automatically infected?

It's called the internet. :D

LennyLen said:

Was XP installed legitimately from an actual disk, or from a cracked ISO?

I honestly can't remember. But I never had issues with it before that.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

As usual, people are remembering wrong. XP has not always been so secure or reliable. That came with age, and even then I'm sure it's still possible to compromise them. Especially since Microsoft won't patch it anymore. The NSA probably has a book full of exploits. ::)

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Putting a PC on the Internet with no antivirus and no stateful packet inspection firewall is pretty stupid.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

raynebc said:

Putting a Windows PC on the Internet with no antivirus and no stateful packet inspection firewall is pretty stupid.

FTFY. :-/

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

As much as I agree Linux is more secure:

http://www.exploit-db.com/platform/?p=linux

Let's not say it's bulletproof.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Nobody would accuse GNU+Linux of being bulletproof. No software is bug-free. What free software is is transparent and open about both source code and bugs. If there's a bug they'll typically let you know sooner, and they'll typically fix it sooner.

Of course, most serious vulnerabilities in GNU+Linux affect non-default services (e.g., samba) or applications that require local access to the system (i.e., you need to first login as local user that can execute arbitrary programs). Most affected services can be configured to only listen on the loopback interface (so again local only) or be configured to only be accessible from the local network. The risks are pretty minimal for most systems.

I do not have anti-virus software on my public-facing server and the firewall is configured by default. There are always a shit ton of attack attempts in the logs on a public facing server, but to my knowledge it has never been compromised. I use Denyhosts to block the bad guys from trying enough times to get in, but I also use strong passwords to prevent them from guessing them. They'd have to find an unpatched vulnerability, but I keep the system up-to-date, and Debian's security team keeps me informed about security vulnerabilities and when fixes are available. Which is all the time.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I generally try to make everything go through SSH, and I make SSH only accept keys. I need to tend to my firewall and blocklist, though... :-X

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

bamccaig said:

FTFY.

Not really. Any computer that provides services and is facing the Internet is at risk. After locking down the Windows box by hardening the security settings and disabling all of the services that are on by default goes a long way. As Chris already pointed out, there's tons of Linux software you wouldn't want to face a hostile network without putting some care into securing it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yes, there is a lot of *nix software that is vulnerable (e.g., PHP is usually a bad sign). Of course, most of it you don't need and shouldn't be using on a public server. :P The robust server stuff is far less vulnerable. It happens, of course, but it's rare. On my server the only services that I think are listening to the public interface are sshd and nginx (and maybe starman running as a regular user on a high port). These things tend to get scrutinized a lot because they're vital to public facing production servers. Bugs slip by, but they usually slip past the black hats too. Until they don't, and usually they get fixed. It's far less severe than putting a Windows box on a public facing interface without manually hardening it and protecting it.

Append:

bambams@test-chamber-1:~$ uptime
 23:36:49 up 587 days,  8:03,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.05

There have been several kernel updates, and I really should reboot, but my uptime. :'( I think that most vulnerabilities have been local, but that doesn't mean that I'm not vulnerable. This is a public facing server though and to my knowledge I'm good... Not that it's a popular server.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

My XP system's uptime is 55 days, and I only rebooted then because I updated the video driver. And this is my all-purpose computer so it gets used heavily, especially browsing the web.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

bamccaig said:

I really should reboot, but my uptime. :'(

How many security updates are you missing because you don't reboot? I swear I have to reboot my computer at least once a week for updates.

Jeez, don't you people ever turn your computer off?

I'm running a webserver on mine, which sort of needs 24/7 availability. (Only because that's what we've come to expect of web sites in our modern era.)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Jeez, don't you people ever turn your computer off? Just sucking electrons down the pipe. :/

Only if I have to. I agree that it's a big waste of electricity, but at the same time cold starts take a lot of time and I jump on and off of the computer too often. For somebody like me that is on the computer an average of 16 hours a day it doesn't really make a lot of sense to shut them down.

Besides that, that uptime is from a Web server so it is intended to be up 24/7. You never know when somebody somewhere on the planet will request it. Well, OK, never, but that's beside the point. :P

StevenVI said:

How many security updates are you missing because you don't reboot? I swear I have to reboot my computer at least once a week for updates.

For the most part, the only updates that cannot apply to a running Linux system are kernel updates (including system drivers). Everything else, from services to applications, can generally be updated live. I'm only missing security fixes for the Linux kernel and drivers. I'm sure there have been many (probably 10 or more), but I don't recall any that seemed threatening to me. Mostly they related to local attacks, and I'm practically the only local user of my server.

In UNIX, files and filenames are indirectly related. The file can continue to exist while the file the name references changes (or the name is even deleted). This allows for executables in a UNIX-like system to be updated while they are in use. The users that already have it running will continue to use the old instances of the files (because they are already opened). Users starting the applications anew will get the new stuff. They can be running simultaneously (unless they conflict in some way, which will typically be built into the update script and/or process logic). In Debian, services are typically restarted automatically when you update them after all packages have been updated and therefore all updated dependencies are in place.

That said, you might have a tiny hiccup in uptime while the service is stopped and before being started again, but most of the time it's so fast that few users would notice. If something breaks then you could potentially have more downtime so you typically would want to try it with a testing machine before production.

There are virtualized environments that actually allow the kernel to be hot-swapped so that you can upgrade the Linux kernel without even rebooting the machine! It's a proprietary service though that isn't cheap, and really most people wouldn't need it. I'm not sure how reliable it is either.

1   2 

Go to: