Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » EFF: Move-Your-Domain Day (TODAY)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
EFF: Move-Your-Domain Day (TODAY)
Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Apparently, EFF officially endorses only two domain registrars out of the bazillions on the Internet. One of those registrars, Namecheap, hosts an annual Move-Your-Domain Day, in an effort to drum up business while spreading awareness about Internet freedom. You can transfer registration of your domain name to Namecheap for $4 and get a free year in the process. Proceeds go to the EFF. I first heard of this today, but they've been doing it since December, 2011.

I'm not sure if they mean "day" as in "day" or as in "Image of the Day," so you may want to act now. The clock began ticking just moments ago.

Summary.

Caveat: Namecheap does not support DNSSEC, and the "free year" thing is pretty standard across registrars... Still, check out them stars. (WordPress is the other registrar that gets 5/5.)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I switched to NameCheap after GoDaddy decided to help fund a bunch of bullshit. Which is related to this. Haven't had a single problem with Namecheap so far.

But their delaying of DNSSEC is just retarded. It can't possibly take 4 years to implement. sigh.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This sounds right up my alley. I'll have to look into it and maybe transfer by the end of today. I'm not familiar with DNSSEC though. Am I right in assessing it as just an added layer to verify the integrity of DNS records? I mean, the best way to "trust" a domain is through a signed certificate, no? So no real need for secure DNS if you secure the server with signed certificates and trusted keys. Are the risks really that big without DNSSEC?

Append:

On second thought, it appears that name.com (my current registrar) was among those opposing SOPA, which was apparently the root cause of these protests. Unless somebody can cite specifically where the EFF endorses only those two registrars I think that I am OK staying where I am with name.com for now. They're pretty good, and it actually would be pretty bad for the Internet I think if everybody changed to one of two registrars.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I think DNSSEC was more directed at protecting from government interference. I started hearing about it after the SOPA incident, and DNSSEC was apparently supposed to keep the integrity of the domains in the face of such legislation.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Bamccaig's catharsis resembles mine. I ended up taking a good look at my own registrar (WordPress) and found out they were pretty swell. There are some shady ones, though (like GoDaddy, mentioned above by Thomas).

I also learned about DNSSEC. It's a digital signature spec that allows clients to verify DNS data. WordPress does not yet support it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm gonna buy up all your empty accounts on GoDaddy! 8-)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I always thought GoDaddy was a bit shady. :-/

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My first registrar was GoDaddy. It has been so long that I don't even remember why I moved, but I know that they sucked. :-/ I think it was long before the SOPA fiasco started. Another terrible registrar is 1and1. Stay away from both of these.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I always thought GoDaddy was a bit shady. :-/

What tipped you off? ;)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Godaddy girl... and a puppy... I think I'll transfer all my domains to godaddy.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Only just read this thread. Gutted because I've missed my chance to transfer the zero domains I've got >:(

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Wish I caught this sooner. I have a lot of domains, this would save me about $100. :(

My first registrar was register.com where I registered.... ericswebsite.com

I think I paid somewhere around $250 for a 10 year registration. I still have the domain, but I never do anything with it. Apparently I have it pointing at 4.2.2.2 for some reason. ??? No idea why I did that.

[edit: Ahh, this is the last domain that I have yet to move away from GoDaddy. I tried to transfer it but long story short I couldn't. My new registrar is Netfirms, and I like them to a point, but their system is so out dated and glitchy I'm sick of it]

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

bamccaig said:

Another terrible registrar is 1and1.

What do they do poorly?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

StevenVI said:

What do they do poorly?

I'd say their first priority is hosting. Secondary to that is domains. Last I heard they don't have anything automated/web-based setup, so you have to email support for any changes. Also heard getting domains transferred away can be an ordeal.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've not had any problems with their domains in the last two years. If I change IP (via web interface), it takes maybe an hour for it to go into effect.

I've not had to transfer away any domains, though.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It seems that I summarized my experiences here. >:( Just reading it again infuriates me. 1and1 have to be one of the worst hosting or registrar companies that there is.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If you wan't worst hosting, I'd say GoDaddy is right up there. There's a reason its so cheap... Also, even their less cheap stuff still sucks. totally oversold on all ranges.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If you read that linked post you'll see that I started with GoDaddy and switched to 1and1 because GoDaddy sucked. Then I left 1and1 because they sucked at least as bad, if not worse.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I switched to NameCheap after GoDaddy decided to help fund a bunch of bullshit.

Can you tell more about the bullshit?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

They donated to politicians/PACs to help push SOPA. iirc. I think they may have helped write it.

--

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I can relate to that in the sense that a domain provider promoting a law is just licking arse to pursue it's promotion.........

... the but : .... I'm not so sure I'm anti-internet file piracy...

Try to get me on your side by all means! ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There was a lot wrong with SOPA. It pushed things way too far.

--

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

What in your eyes, was beyond the dividing line?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

http://mashable.com/2012/01/17/sopa-dangerous-opinion/

I think there was more stuff not quite so bad, like three strikes stuff? Eh.

--

1   2 

Go to: