Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The real reason nobody uses Allegro...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
The real reason nobody uses Allegro...
jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

There is probably something wrong with me but, in the 5 years that I have been here, nothing I have ever read has ever offended me in the slightest. When someone is objectively wrong about something programming related and defends it to the death that's a little annoying, but that happens everywhere.

If someone is spamming their religion, beliefs etc, I don't mind that at all. I bought a mouse WITH a scrollwheel :o .

One of my favorite parts of a.cc is the sarcastic use of this >:(

Newcomers might not get that and think everyone here is angry and prissy, but that's part of the fun.

Life is easier if you just let everyone express themselves and if you do not allow yourself to be offended. Remember that you consciously choose to be offended by data. There is no objective way to be offended.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

jmasterx said:

There is probably something wrong with me but, in the 5 years that I have been here, nothing I have ever read has ever offended me in the slightest.

When I first joined (12 years ago!), things on A.CC, and honestly the whole world, were much more in-your-face and offensive. We had huge religious debates on A.CC and Matt would have to lock them down on a weekly basis.

It honestly feels like after two useless wars, the majority of people in the USA (ignore the rise of Fox News scream matches, as their outliers) have really given up on the idea that we can police the world, and even other people. As the economy got much worse everyone stopped focusing on getting in people's faces and got back to focusing on how hard it is to pay the bills as costs of living skyrocket and pay stays the same.

So as such, people here have really calmed down. My parents, orthodox Republicans, eventually stopped listening when they realized they were just being told to be angry at a new thing every day without ever actually resolving any of the previous issues. I gave up on both parties, and now call myself a "extreme moderate." ("Anyone with an opinion is probably wrong.")

I think, but I can only gauge remotely (through the internet), that the rest of the free world also has a calmer, more sober, outlook into the world. Everyone's too tired to care about things that aren't pragmatic. When I grew up, in-your-face rappers like DMX were popular. Now, less-angry, introspective ones like Kanye, Kid Cudi, and more are really taking over.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

jmasterx said:

bought a mouse WITH a scrollwheel

I've bought one with continuous scrolling after my drawer of old mice was finally used up and two cheap mice just endured about 3-5 months. I love it.

@Katko: Your diagnosis of the Western world could have some truth to it, but maybe it's more about the involved individuals (more or less) growing up?

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Most of us are guilty of being annoying. There are a few exceptions though.

When I finally release my program called Rabbitt's (name Pete Hull game me) Image Program, everyone'll be so happy allegro will lift off and there'll be a rennaisance.

Hold on to your hats.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Atheism is just as much a religion as any other, with its own fair share of zealots and nutjobs, as evidenced here lately.

Religious debate is fine, but again, nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable in having their own beliefs, and I feel that takes place here too often.

{"name":"duty_calls.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/686d0d2d97cf2974b81c039d17539908.png","w":300,"h":330,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/8\/686d0d2d97cf2974b81c039d17539908"}duty_calls.png

How many times does this comic have to be posted anyway?

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

jmasterx said:

There is probably something wrong with me but, in the 5 years that I have been here, nothing I have ever read has ever offended me in the slightest.

There must be something wrong also with me then.

Or I might have been in other forums/communities were there were MUCH more toxic people around, dunno. >:(

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

In a world where everyone and their mom is yelling at each other to use Unity because it's "so easy" to make a 2D game with it (especially since the inclusion of 2D mode), I'm still very glad to use Allegro as an easy way to actually teach people how to program and how games actually work. Some simplicity is always appreciated Trent. :)

Then again it doesn't seem that's what the actual topic of the thread is, but I'm sure it could be solved in a less harsh way by talking to whoever you've had a problem with. :P

And when it comes to hot topics like religion or politics just bail out ASAP if you're not in the mood to deal with the worst viewpoints you can ever imagine.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Elias said:

I agree that there's some people here with very questionable and out of line views - but I think it's very wrong trying to exclude them just because of that.

It depends. If you want to nurture an inclusive community, you have to take care. People will leave or avoid us entirely because of ass-hats. Question is if we want super abrasive, intolerant people even if they are occasionally helpful, over more quality users and community members that don't spout hate.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

And then there are other reasons nobody comes here, like the ass-hats spreading rumors about allegro 5 outside of the forums like this one :

I was googling for 'ogre3d compatiblity with allegro 5' and this is the second search result that came up -

I've had a play with Allegro, and found too sluggish when there are more than 5 sprites on the screen simultaneously. (On a p4 3ghz, 4MB, Windows XP, GeForce FX 5700). I was thinking if one creates a 2D game using Ogre, then all optimised performance of the 3D hardware will be fast enough for the multiple sprites.

Noob can't figure out why his programs suck so he blames the libraries he uses.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Guys! Did I Miss Anything? :o

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Uh? I was talking about Trent... But yes, I was able to use Ogre with Allegro 5, Elias uploaded the example or something like that. There was a little problem with the shadows of the meshes but I don't remember if I solved that problem.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Dario ff said:

And when it comes to hot topics like religion or politics just bail out ASAP if you're not in the mood to deal with the worst viewpoints you can ever imagine.

You caught me. I'm actually a supremacist. I think NASCAR is the superior race! :o

Quote:

I've had a play with Allegro, and found too sluggish when there are more than 5 sprites on the screen simultaneously. (On a p4 3ghz, 4MB, Windows XP, GeForce FX 5700). I was thinking if one creates a 2D game using Ogre, then all optimised performance of the 3D hardware will be fast enough for the multiple sprites.

That reminds me of the Raspberry PI and Arduino forums. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and stupidity. They're "just smart enough to be dangerous." I found a thread that literally came to the group conclusion that Raspberry Pi CPU's are "meant to be hot" and "because resistance" heatsinks don't allow for more overclocking or stability, because the "mean-time-before-failure" it just means it'll last longer. 1,000 years instead of 100 years. And both are too long to care about, therefor heatsinks on a Raspberry PI are useless.

My heart died a little inside that day.

Meanwhile, on the Arduino forums, they said the Arduino has a linear regulator, which wastes power (true to an extent) so they were going to replace it with a switching regulator because switching are less noisy (absolutely insanely false).

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

My heart died a little inside that day

I simply refuse to remotely believe what caused this. Please tell me it's a joke, a bad joke.

OMG, I almost regret having left engineering to pursue a career of sales. >:(

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Those are both true. The worst part about getting an engineering degree is when you realize how little engineering anyone does. :(

It's like feeling like an alien on your own planet, where everyone is calling you weird for using things like math and prototype tests.

People were designing a water nozzle system entirely on "good enough." I kept telling them we need equations, we need prototypes, we need data points. I said we have no idea whether we're going to have too little pressure, or blow holes through the parts. They thought I was insane for "wasting time and money." They said there was no way a prototype would resemble a real world application.

-----sig:

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Jumping in on this derail:

I was nearly fired for planning entity relationships on a huge billing/invoicing system. I know that feel bro. :-/

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

No the real reason why no one uses it is because cmake gets confused too easily and is just a hassle so 4.2 with its makefiles is the easiest version to use and the newer ones are just too hard to get set up.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

It doesn't get much easier than this :

cd allegro
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -G "Your Generator Here" -DSHARED=[On|Off] -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=[Debug|Release|RelWithDebInfo|Profiling] -DWANT_MONOLITH=[On|Off]
mingw32-make install -j 2

The WANT_MONOLITH option was established in 5.X.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

4.4.1 isn't that hard to build from source, even I was able to do it.

mind78
Member #15,802
November 2014

Ouch. I was fired for commenting code once. They "thought you were a hacker and don't need to waste time commenting the code". Well, see who is laughing now when they need to maintain it, maybe I didn't write the comments for my sake, moahahahahaa, dumbasses. ;D [Edit:] To be fair they also thought the comments took up precious space on the PLC ::)

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Why did Trent leave, specifically? He hasn't responded to my PM.

Allegro is not the Linux kernel, with contributors knocking on the front door 24/7. We can't afford to be jerks. I agree there is a problem, but without Trent chiming in, I cannot say what that problem is.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

All these comments about being fired for doing sane practices is scaring me :'(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

jmasterx said:

The guy above me only knows (some) Visual Basic. :(

-----sig:

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

jmasterx said:

Seriously. A week ago I actually had an opposite sort of experience. I thought I was supposed to be developing a rapid prototype of a new game idea, so I was ready to claim a handful of servers for the project and jump right in with code that I designed as I wrote it.

After requesting a development environment, my boss said to instead sit down and spend a few weeks working on designing the architecture. Turns out they already had interns develop the prototype, I'm making the real thing. And oh man, you should see the code the interns wrote. I was hoping that there would be something reusable in there... ::)

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

At college I handed in an Excel project that I'd completely pimped using the VB back end; the tutor was forced to give me a distinction as she couldn't understand it, it was too advanced. Mind you they weren't paying me.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

1   2   3 

Go to: