Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The real reason nobody uses Allegro...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
The real reason nobody uses Allegro...
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Is that we allow certain people (ahem) to dominate these forums with their idiocy. I'm deleting my link to the forums from my speed dial again. Good luck with all your bugs.

http://xkcd.com/1357/

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I should print this out and hang it on the wall in my office :)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

What is that ? Trent ? Care to elaborate a little for the uninitiated ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

What is that ? Trent ? Care to elaborate a little for the uninitiated ?

I'm in the same boat as Gull.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Don't you think you're over-reacting a little Trent?

I think it would be kind of sad to abandon the Allegro library due to conflicts with members on the forums. We've all known for a long time that certain people here are rather opinionated and overly zealous for their causes but is that worth leaving over?

And besides, who am I going to get to apply my patches? Nobody has even replied to my thread - https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/614953. Or should I just take my concerns to the mailing list? Somebody introduced a conflicting dllmain declaration in A4.4.x and I don't know which one is right. I'm assuming the one in the windows header is right but then what was the other one for? Do they vary over Windows versions? And that bug means that A4.4 in git doesn't compile for mingw or likely msvc anymore. Who applies patches to A4.4? I know it's not actively maintained, but somebody has to have access. It's all in the same repo right, so all that's needed is to checkout a different branch?

Anyway, I think you should stick around.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

The only thing I can think of that Trent got worked up over is the huge reaction (and in my opinion over-reaction) to my comments about fat people and disability. But that was week(s) ago...

But if all it would take is a sincere apology, then you can certainly have it from me. As much as I'll argue my point, I'm not actually in it to offend, oppress, or hurt anyone.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It could be some religion ranting that bothered Trent. I'm not religions and it bothered me.

At some point you have to consider if its worth it to keep toxic people around, even if they are sometimes helpful. Often their toxicity is far more unhelpful in the greater scheme of things.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Baby come back
You can blame it all on me

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

The off topic forum does have some theads that can be offensive, yes. Allegro attacts some opinionatd people and that may be problematic in some cases. The on-topic forums are useful ways of comunication though. I personaly feel a forum is more easy to use and more accessible than a mailing list.

All in al I see no reason to run away from the forums. I just try to avoid the off-topic forum, mostly, with the exception of Allegro-related topics. That might be the best approach for anyone who is here for Allegro itself, and not just to hang around and chew the fat.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

beoran said:

AllegroThe universe attacts some opinionatd people and that may be problematic in some cases.

FTFY

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

I remember the Off Topics being so much worse in the past.

I recall ML locking several threads due to the extreme level of shenanigans. I remember pages and pages of dick fights over petty crap. I also remember when every thread got derailed.

Definitely not a n00b-friendly community facade, but we also used to have a lot of people in and out of here.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Every thread is still derailed ^^

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I miss the "Let's make a game" topics...

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I'll make one in 2015. I promise!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Ariesnl said:

The "Let's make a GUI API better than QT" threads are always nice too :)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Eh, the off topic forum is the most frequented, but it is rarely even about allegro anyway (although lately it's been full of rumors of it's demise, which I believe to be greatly exaggerated).

furinkan said:

Back then I use to be on here flaming about religion constantly. My core values, in terms of religion, haven't changed much since then, but the Internet has evolved so much in the last ~8 years that it seems silly to argue about that anymore. There are more appropriate places, such as Reddit, where you can get better feedback (positive or negative) for your opinions anyway.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

furinkan said:

I remember 200 pagers between 23yrold3yrold and X-G on religion! :o

I remember one thread when I was young where me and someone else literally said "No" and "Yes" back and forth for three pages. Not even arguing, just spamming, in retrospect.

Ariesnl said:

I use to love those "Is it monday already?!" threads.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

<quote>I remember pages and pages of dick fights over petty crap.<quote>
Inspiration for a doodle thread? 8-)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I remember arguing with both of them about it. Stupid agnosticism.. >:(

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I think I remember that too.

Derezo said:

I remember arguing with both of them about it. Stupid agnosticism.. >:(

I believe I did the same thing :) alas I didn't know back then that you can't win the Internet :D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I used to just get too worked up over dumb shit. Still do, but not to the same degree.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I certainly am very careful when entering the minefield that is the off topic forums. The result has been that I have barely been on these forums. And it's too bad as I love this library. I just got done compiling a new version of my game in fact which uses Allegro 5 and am trying to rekindle my interest in programming. I would certainly be very saddened to see Trent leave as I have a great deal of respect for him for many reasons.

Edit: just browsed the forums and seen some posts that really disturbed me as well. I may have to look into something else for future projects. I doubt it's the same thing, but some things are allowed to go too far on here I think.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ya, not like most of us can actually do anything about it. Other than ignore (or berate) the ass-hats.

Kinda wish the forum had a "downvote to hide" button, that after X downvotes a post is replaced with a "post has been hidden, click to show" message, and users with too many hidden posts get a temp ban from OT.

append: I don't really put up with much bullshit on #allegro anymore, you're always welcome there :D I'm not afraid of mystical "free speech", if someone is being intolerant, I will take care of it.

append2: I really do think its time we clamped down on incredibly intolerant behaviour.

{"name":"69f.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/3\/d373d34d6404584b7a46f613063c133a.jpg","w":403,"h":500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/3\/d373d34d6404584b7a46f613063c133a"}69f.jpg

;D

--

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

???
I guess I don't see where the problem is. The one thing I was annoyed by was Bambam's walls of text full of rather questionable misogyny. But did anyone take that seriously?
Well, I hoped his girlfriend would have cured the ... ahem ... hormonal imbalances, but the ardent manner which he now shows in indulging in atheist posts unfortunately seems to indicate that my hope was in vain. ;D

I hope nobody feels offended by my post.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I agree that there's some people here with very questionable and out of line views - but I think it's very wrong trying to exclude them just because of that. It's an offtopic forum after all and not some place where it matters. In fact I wouldn't want to be in a forum where only the politically correct things can be said and everyone else is banned.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

1   2   3 

Go to: