Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New Year Resolution (Directed at Christians)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
New Year Resolution (Directed at Christians)
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

True, Thomas. Assholes are everywhere. There are asshole atheists that find great joy in agonizing theists. There are asshole theists that find great joy in agonizing atheists. There are asshole Christians that find great joy in agonizing women and homosexuals and people with other believes.

Then there are people who like to share their thoughts and maybe learn something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Then there are people who like to share their thoughts and maybe learn something.

These are the people I like :) Sadly there are plenty of people who claim they are sharing and capable of learning, but really they aren't. :( it kind of makes other's dubious of those that claim they can learn, which makes it hard for those that can actually learn. sigh

My wife, Mila is a Catholic, and I'm Agnostic. It works because she doesn't force anything on me, and I don't force anything on her.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

In America, your Christians oppress your gays!

In Soviet Russia, we have no gays!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

For all of the people that want to be running GNU (+Linux), but are holding off because they want to game:

{"name":"609143","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cef1469b64049788af457ad8e0f756ab.png","w":2048,"h":1152,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/cef1469b64049788af457ad8e0f756ab"}609143

Note that the icons on the desktop are native applications, except for the SteamWine. SteamWine is Steam running on Wine, which exists mainly for Skyrim, and that too works (thanks to Elias for tipping me off a year or more ago). Note the "notification icon" for Steam running in my tray. That is the native port. I predominantly play Counter-Strike: Source with that.

The point is, I have overwritten Windows entirely with a mostly free software system and I don't miss it. I can still game thanks to Valve (and Wine). I have a perfectly valid Windows 7 license sitting on a shelf. I have no interest in using it.

My system is "mostly" free[dom] software because unfortunately much "multimedia" (i.e., audio/video) still requires patented software to consume. I have no choice other than to use non-free software to consume it. And that is something that can be changed. Free formats exist that are at least good enough.

Perhaps the best New Years resolution that you can make is to use only free (libre) software (or at least, go out of your way to avoid non-free software and never pay for the non-free software that you do use).

That includes Web services as well. Don't use Web sites like Facebook that use proprietary software and are definitely spying on you and sharing^Wselling your information. I think that Google (including YouTube, et. al.) are also falling into the evil category so avoid using those services as much as possible too.

The way has been paved. Take advantage and jump ship before things revert. >:(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Congratulations! You've put a lot of work into that, I'm sure! I've long wanted to switch over to Linux as the primary. But I don't have the energy to get everything working, or the money to switch if it stops working.

For example, I'm really afraid to see what would happen if I started doing audio development (namely FL Studio with VST's) on Linux. The software might not work, might not work in wine, and even worse, my soundcards won't likely support ASIO in Linux since they're all (needlessly at this point) closed-source. Come to think of it, what the hell do any soundcards do (99% of which use the same third-party chips) have to hide from their competitors?

Sad thing is, I bet if it did work, it'd be much more efficient and have a much lower driver latency. Because if it's one thing Linux geeks love, it's efficiency, and God bless those brave souls!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I can't say much for consumer sound cards, but for professional sound cards it's all about lock-in. They want you to use their devices and you can only use them with their proprietary hardware. Lower-end devices are more cross-functional, but the most expensive audio production setups come pretty much as a set. I'm talking about Pro Tools here, really.

Pretty much most sound cards offer the same capabilities, but it's the external hardware that these companies want you in for, and they can get you with a sound card.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It's a shame that what happened to videocards (::cough:: SGI ::cough::) didn't happen to the audio market.

-----sig:

1   2 

Go to: