Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Philae researcher criticized for wearing 'sexist' shirt during comet landing

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Philae researcher criticized for wearing 'sexist' shirt during comet landing
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/13/living/matt-taylor-shirt-philae-rosetta-project/

Yep. If you thought it would end at the "sane" point of the Mozilla CEO being fired for having a different definition of marriage, turns out we're at the very beginning of the politically-correct rabbit hole.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

He wore a shirt that hurt somebodies feels? And it drew media attention? Oh teh noes! Chicken Little would be proud!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

The Mozilla CEO was fired for being a narrow-minded bigot, I don't see a lot of that going on with the shirt guy. I can imagine that some women would find his shirt to be in really, really bad taste, while others might simply not care all that much. The shirt is pretty lame, I guess. But it pisses people off ;D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Its fairly unprofessional. But sexism is a really touchy subject right now.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

sexism is a really touchy subject

Ho ho!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Its fairly unprofessional.

I'd say it's extremely unprofessional and in very poor taste.

But that said, I don't actually give a crap about whatever uproar CNN is trying to make of this. Skimming the article, it looked like they were using a single person as an example of why some particular demographic might not like the tech industry. The news is far too flooded with all these non-stories about how we have a crisis on our hands: one particular demographic is not interested in doing tech work in the same capacity that another one is. The horror!

We need more Asians in the NBA. Stop the racism now!

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

It's surely horrible, but making an argument about sexism for such a shirt is RIDICULOUS.

HE's been asked about his tatoos, which is already two past centuries....and now for some scantily clad COMICS in an UGLY shirt.

I honestly think that such an argument DETRACTS credit for the "sexism" problem that may or may not lie behind that, seriously.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't even really think it's unprofessional. I only glimsped at the shirt, but I did so at j0rb, and wasn't in the least bit afraid of somebody walking up behind me and seeing the screen. It wasn't that bad. Those same women complaining about the shirt probably dress like that at the beach with children around.

StevenVI said:

We need more Asians in the NBA. Stop the racism now!

^ This is essentially what they're doing. It's absurd.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The simple message is that science and technology need these nerds that are completely devoted and know nothing about women. Without them we'd still have stone age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Wow, people land on a comet for a first time in history and some prudent Americans discuss rather some T-Shirt someone wore in a control room. Are you nuts? :o

And now, for something completely different:
{"name":"r_17-15-00_jx7ENjy6ac.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/1\/113e2544587582c2fb0c57e3f57be813.png","w":634,"h":452,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/1\/113e2544587582c2fb0c57e3f57be813"}r_17-15-00_jx7ENjy6ac.png

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

To save everybody a little time here's a still of the aforementioned shirt.

{"name":"B2P1UPJCMAAVpBX.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39ad6ef7da078742a48cbafb34dfcedf.png","w":600,"h":545,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/9\/39ad6ef7da078742a48cbafb34dfcedf"}B2P1UPJCMAAVpBX.png

The horror!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

But sexism is a really touchy subject right now.

Yea, it totally is. It's like we're going through 3rd wave feminism now or something. I wonder what spurred it off.

I'd like to see a chick wear a tacky shirt with a bunch of hawt dudes on it. It would be unclassy and fun all the same. But no, the narrative is that it's men's behavior that needs to be sterilized. Eventually we'll all be bald in grey jumpsuits so that we don't offend anybody with our outlandish and expressive identities.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

He looks pretty cool in that photo, there's no denying that 8-)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I showed that shirt to a co-worker and all he said was, "that shirt is cool as shit."

Looks like the guy grew up on Heavy Metal, and by that logic, South Park's heavy metal episode is sexist. ... Nobody complained about the episode.

But that was 2008, before everyone felt all this vitriol toward anything men do at all.

-----sig:

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

They guy IS damn cool.

He was part of one of the feats humanity did that will go in HISTORY.

That shirt is HORRIBLE but hey, it's just me ;D

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Apparently, the guy broke down and cried while he gave an apology. Meanwhile, the lady that made his shirt, feels pretty terrible

That's right. It's okay to make a man cry on the day of the biggest accomplishment of his life. An accomplishment for all of humanity.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My girlfriend apparently has to do an essay about stereotypes for one of her college courses and I guess from my influence she has chosen to write her essay about the unspoken male stereotypes that society is completely blind to. 8-)

I'm a little bit worried because her program is female-dominated and both her course materials and instructors seem excessively influenced by Feminism... And she's kind of obsessive about her grades. I could see a really well written paper on this subject getting her a failing grade that she'd have to fight against... :-/

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You can protest bad grades by taking them to a teacher's superior. You don't have to write what they want, solely because they pressure you to. If it's, say, English, and the paper is solidly formed and cogent, there's nothing they can do but give you a good grade. They're grading learning, not sucking up.

As for this thread's original topic, I'm currently looking into buying one of those tacky shirts. 8-)

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You can protest bad grades by taking them to a teacher's superior. You don't have to write what they want, solely because they pressure you to. If it's, say, English, and the paper is solidly formed and cogent, there's nothing they can do but give you a good grade. They're grading learning, not sucking up.

In a perfect world that is how it would work. In the real world, politically incorrect or unpopular ideas can get you in trouble. The teacher's superior doesn't have to be any more intelligent or open minded than the teacher is. Nor does the dean of the entire school. You certainly have channels to fight your case, but those could be risky, long, and there's no guarantee that anybody will see the light.

I have heard stories of men's rights activists being unfairly treated by employers or educational institutions, as well as receiving death threats, etc.. Not even for expressing extreme ideas. Just for going against the Feminist "grain" that society has grown into.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

The teacher's superior doesn't have to be any more intelligent or open minded than the teacher is.

The difference is, it's the department head's job to manage teachers. The department head has nothing to gain or lose by hearing your case, and making the right decision. Whereas, protesting your teacher directly, you are protesting their work specifically, which has ramifications for their ego.

When I went to a department head after a teacher yelled at me for no reason at all, she asked if I wanted her to bring it up with the teacher immediately or at the end of the semester so my grades wouldn't be affected even if the teacher was mad. She was very reasonable about it.

Now, I went to a school with decent staff, so yes, it's entirely possible that in other schools, being an idiot instead of a teacher is the norm. If you go to a school that sucks, and you just want to graduate, there's really no reason you can't just "suck it up" and write what they want to hear. It's not like it matters whether you win the approval of a teacher once you graduate. But you are robbing yourself the opportunity to engage and interact with academia if you're only writing what they want to hear.

-----sig:

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

The replica has sold out, and the real one will come later. You know what to do.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

The stupidity of humans has become annoyingly predictable as of late.

Those people socked a comet with a probe. They can show up for work totally naked for all I care -- just keep the goddamn science coming.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Maybe if they weren't so distracted by sexy ladies, the harpoons would have worked! >:(

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

The thing about this that has made me laugh are the extreme feminists who have claimed that it's things like this that make women feel like they can never be a part of the scientific industry. The reason I think that's funny is that a lot of the younger women I work with think that this guy is pretty cool and has he's made a lot of them think that a career in science isn't so bad after all.

1   2   3 

Go to: