Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Sierra is coming back!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Sierra is coming back!
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

YES!!! Thank you God! This news is pure awesomeness...

Video at the beginning of their new site, and if you scroll down, you'll see a couple games that are coming including... KING'S QUEST! Yeah baby! ;D

http://www.sierra.com

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, it looks like the name is being brought back to be used for a Indie Publisher (how ever the heck that makes sense....).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

On August 7, 2014, the website for Sierra, which previously redirected to Activision's website, was updated, showcasing a new logo, teasing that "More to be revealed at Gamescom 2014."

Yayyy! YAY!! YAYY!!!

Quote:

2014 (as subsidary of Activision Blizzard)

God. Damn it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Just pretend its the Blizzard side, then you wont hate it quite so much. The Activision side can take a flying leap.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Just pretend its the Blizzard side,

Tell that to Diablo 3; and Starcraft 2 wanting you to buy it three times so you actually get the units you should have had in the first edition.

It's like all of our great companies collectively decided to start sucking the microtransaction nipple.

Starcraft 2 was the last AAA title I bought, for full price, and I swore I'd never forget it.

Meanwhile, Age of Empires HD is absolutely amazing.

[edittooo]

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Just pretend its the Blizzard side, then you wont hate it quite so much. The Activision side can take a flying leap.

Indeed. One thing I loved about Sierra's games was the stories involved (and humour, Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry), in which case, Blizzard would be a good choice for development as they have been very good at keeping game lore good, it's what keeps World of Warcraft doing well I think (Warlords of Draenor, announced for Nov 13th by the way, awesome trailer for it today/yesterday).

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

From what I gather though, they wont likely be doing their own games. ie: its just a label for indie games.

--

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

It's been years since I last laid eyes on that mountain... Must have been around '97 or so. Perusing the list now, it's amazing how many solid titles they had back then.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I still have the original King's Quest game, with box, on 5 1/4" disks. :)

---

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

It's been years since I last laid eyes on that mountain... Must have been around '97 or so [en.wikipedia.org]. Perusing the list now, it's amazing how many
solid titles they had back then.

Yeah they made and/or published so many awesome games. Hopefully the new Kings Quest mentioned will be an adventure game (unlike King's Quest 8). Actually, I don't even care if it's an adventure game or not, I just want it to be good :)

NiteHackr said:

I still have the original King's Quest game, with box, on 5 1/4" disks. :)

I've got King's Quest 5 in it's original box. I'm pretty sure it had the 5 1/4" set as well as the newfangled higher density 3 1/2" set.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Come to think of it, I've got one from a Goodwill that's from the 90's still in wrapper (not boxed, like a cheap shrink-wrapped discs+manual version).

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I never played any of the King's Quest games, but I had a lot of fun with the Space Quest games.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Fun fact: Kings Quest was written and owned by a woman, Roberta Williams. She pioneered the genre.

She has an interesting point on game demographics too. She said videogames used to be for a higher class of individual, with less focus on instant gratification. People who didn't watch much TV.

Quote:

In a 1999 interview, Williams stated that her games were targeted toward a more affluent and educated audience than later games: "Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, than they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one."[12]

That was in 1999 talking the early 80's. Now, I can only imagine how much she despises current big budget games and even mobile games.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

The original Kings Quest box I have advertises it as a "3D game" :D

{"name":"608864","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/03b77942f7614ac3a31f39ffb00948c8.jpg","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/03b77942f7614ac3a31f39ffb00948c8"}608864

---

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

She said videogames used to be for a higher class of individual, with less focus on instant gratification. People who didn't watch much TV.

Thank you, very interesting. :)

Go to: