January 2001

News Article

Nanu nanu.

You will be missed.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I know. :'(

Death to Smoochie and What Dreams May Come? are two of my favorite movies of his.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

This is the first that I have heard. :( That is a shame. I think it was a long time coming though. I wonder if maybe he felt he couldn't live up to his reputation. Perhaps sometimes we should focus on the accomplishments instead of the person.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It may or may not have had to do with his long battle with addiction (alcohol, and drugs), or that he has FOUR movies being released this year or early next year.

I think maybe he was just burned out.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

What a sad way to go. Seems he made everyone happy but himself. I have been at that low point in my life and have the scars to show for it so I know what it feels like. It's too bad someone couldn't help him through it. :'(

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

He was a good comedian as well as a good actor in dark roles. "One Hour Photo" was intense.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I first confused him with Robbie Williams and was shocked.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Elias said:

I first confused him with Robbie Williams and was shocked.

I overheard a conversation between some old people in the morning who mixed them up as well and when it became clear to them that it was Robin Williams instead of Robbie Williams they expressed relief about it.

They must have really hated Robin Williams.

Rest in peace Mr. Williams, your performance in the Bicentennial Man (to name just one) will not be forgotten.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I had to search for a picture of Robbie Williams and I still don't know who he is... and that doesn't bother me!

Robin was part of so many great movies. His stand up was great too, and it gave us a glimpse of his cynicism at times.

It makes me a little angry that Robin Williams killed himself, though. Fuck.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Derezo said:

It makes me a little angry that Robin Williams killed himself, though. Fuck.

That seems awfully selfish of you. :-/ It doesn't even really affect you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

That seems awfully selfish of you. :-/ It doesn't even really affect you.

::)

Selfish of... me because it doesn't affect me? It's selfish of Robin Williams, sure, but I'm not sure what you said makes any sense at all.

Death adds a new perspective to the life of a person. Part of what makes me a little angry is the sensationalist headlines that were in the media, seeing headlines with suicide in them are a little unnerving. I've had friends and family selfishly commit suicide, and there is plenty of literature about the spread of suicide that happens when it is in the media (and many countries have legislation banning it).

I've thought a bit about it since last night. Part of me wants to think that this could create a positive social reaction towards mental health, but another part of me thinks it's just going to give more people their own excuse to off themselves.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

[edit:] Er, misread. We don't know the reason he committed suicide - he may have had a good reason for it :/

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

There aren't many unselfish reasons.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

He (and therefore people close to him) may have been suffering?

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

In what way is suicide not a selfish solution to that problem?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Depression Comix 83 - "It's selfish"

{"name":"depcom.083.col_.400px.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/19cc84fc430f3674afa80ce73f75cbc7.jpg","w":400,"h":1222,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/19cc84fc430f3674afa80ce73f75cbc7"}depcom.083.col_.400px.jpg

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'd just tell people I'm moving away. I'd actually pack up my stuff and drive 100+ miles, and give away my meager possessions (computers etc. not holy jeans) to strangers. Sell my car quick (salvage yard if necessary) and give that $100-$200 away too. Or maybe just try coke.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

A depressed minds capability to make healthy decisions is severely impaired and the depression comes paired with a heavily distorted perception of reality and a bunch of unhealthy thought patterns which are automatically driving the dysfunctional behavior of the affected individual.

I think suicide is almost never a rational decision even if the subject itself may think it is and has all the seemingly right reasons and justifications. Thus there is no question about selfishness or unselfishness involved.

Suicide is simply a decision made by an unhealthy mind.

Like you can not blame a broken bone for being broken, you can not blame a depressed mind for being depressed. You can try to help though by suggesting professional treatment if you feel like someone you know may be suffering from depression.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Well, I know someone who got diagnosed with lung cancer and at most a year to live. So he had two choices:

1. Spend a year in the hospital. Use up all of his saved money for (useless at this point) treatment. Cause a lot of suffering to his family members daily, seeing him suffering and dying in the hospital. Cause quite some financial burden on them. And also suffer a lot himself.

2. Refuse any treatment and kill himself.

He selflessly made a rational decision where nobody had to suffer and a lot of money was not wasted.

--

kikabo
Member #3,679
July 2003

hey, I've been selflessly staying alive for years and no-one has thanked me for it! :D

RIP Mork. :-/

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I understand that a depressed person's thoughts are augmented by the illness. I'm not ignorant to the realities of mental illness, and I'm not trying to blame or chastise by saying it is selfish. Selfishness is normal, but maybe it seems harsher than intended.

Doing some searching I do mostly agree with this article (which is critical of calling it selfish) but I don't feel it totally hits the mark from an objective point of view. It's more critical of people who call it selfish, blaming them and saying they're selfish, but I don't feel my view fits the counter points provided at all.

To me the action is still carried out with concern for ones own affairs, not that they're to blame.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

gnolam said:

Depression Comix 83 - "It's selfish"

Nail on the head. This one's for the hard drive.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Needs more.. Robin Williams.

video

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

the only problem with Aladdin... Is disney screwed him pretty good with that role. I almost feel bad watching it again :o

{"name":"o-ROBIN-WILLIAMS-570.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a859f24612285c5409a0c2e7817baa7.jpg","w":570,"h":389,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/a\/0a859f24612285c5409a0c2e7817baa7"}o-ROBIN-WILLIAMS-570.jpg

maybe pertinent...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

1   2   3 

Go to: